Skip to content

#15990 Bug with Dorn not responding to the defeat of his enemy

blatantninjablatantninja Member Posts: 29
edited August 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
Gate70 said:

Dorn should respond to the death of Simmeon after being silenced

1. Load attached save.
2. Move slightly north-east.
3. After Simmeon completes dialogue kill him and his party (CTRL/Y).
4. Rest, or use CTRL/T to advance time so the silence wears off.

*Observed*
Dorn remains silent.

*Expected*
Dorn should start dialogue "At last, Simmeon is dead..."

*Note*
The enemy priest will cast silence 15' if the closest party member is a "long bow" (arcane caster?
The dialogue can be initiated by speaking to Dorn afterwards but this is not intuitive
DornJ.dlg Trigger 8 looks as though it needs to consider silence (could this happen elsewhere?)

Did a search, but didn't find anything.

I just completed the part of his quest (end maybe?) where we kill his former companion just past Wyrm's Crossing. Well, one of the priests cast a spell on my party that made everyone Deaf. As such, when the battle ended, there was no banter coming from Dorn. I waited until the spell wore off and walked around a bit. Still nothing. I finally exited the area and walked a bit, still nothing.

I reloaded, won the battle and avoided my characters getting made Deaf and it kicked right into Dorn gloating about killing off the last of his old crew.

So, if Dorn and/or the main charater is Deaf, you end up with a hanging quest for Dorn.
Post edited by hook71 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited August 2014
    Do you have a save prior to this battle @blatantninja‌

If not I'll see if I have something nearby but would help to have you save zipped and attached.
    Thanks

edit, & moving to BG:EE forum
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Hmmm, this rings a bell. I think I had the same thing happen as @blatantninja‌, a few runs ago, so I reckon this is a pre-1.3 issue ... in fact, I think it's been so from the start of EE. Triggering the correct dialogue sequence from Dorn at the correct time has always been a little fragile, liable to break in various situations which the devs appear to have overlooked.

Of course it makes some sense for the end-of-quest dialogue (and therefore the end-of quest journal entries) to be postponed if Dorn and/or the protagonist are deaf at the time, but obviously it ought to trigger automatically as soon as the deafness wears off.
  • DartsiniZDartsiniZ Member Posts: 4
    I was able to initiate the dialogue manually by talking to dorn when the deafness spell har ended
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Ah, yes, @DartsiniZ‌ - now that you mention it, I think I remember eventually discovering the same workaround when this bug happened to me. But obviously it ought not to be necessary, and someone who wasn't already familiar with Dorn's questline probably wouldn't even realise that he was missing anything.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited September 2014
    Hi
    I've tried to reproduce this with partial success. Deafness doesn't prevent the dialogue, but silence does. Edit, so long as the closest party member to the priest can cast arcane spells he will use that spell.

Will raise on that basis.