Skip to content

So what about about IDW2:EE and PS:T:EE?

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
edited August 2014 in Off-Topic
Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition has just been announced, and now I wonder:
What about Enhanced Editions for Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape: Torment?

Do you want them?
Do you think they are likely going to happen?
What do you think they should change/ fix/ ad if any?
Any other thoughts?

Knock yourselves out ~
Post edited by Buttercheese on

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Unless they include the sub-races and a lot of the ID2 class kits, I'd rather not have them do ID2:EE. There's a lot of dialogue throughout the game that uses both, and the game should not have any less content than the original. That would make it a changed edition, not enhanced. They could make a EE from ID2's current engine of course, but seeing how much trouble it is reverse-engineering Infinity, I can't imagine they'd want to. They'd want to use what they have for BG/BGII/ID:EE and that sadly does not have sub-races or a lot of the monk/cleric/paladin kits. If they did do ID2:EE though the only thing I'd really want added aside from new shiny EE mechanics is some recruitable companions.

As for PT:EE I don't particularily want it. Torment is a great game but I just don't think it's as divine as seemingly everyone else does. I prefer Baldur's Gate by lots. I have no idea how likely an enhanced edition of it happening is. Lots of people want it but a lot of people also think the original is a masterpiece that should not be touched and can't really be improved. Should a PT:EE be made though I'd want to see more chest armour for the main character. Or at least have the dustman robe be wearable always and everywhere, regardless of Dustmen faction standing or area. Seriously, why have a chest armour slot if there's nothing to wear?
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Really?! Gosh, you'd think we could have given it at least a week.
    *sigh*
    Oh, well. I've never played either games so I don't know, but I've not heard anything bad about PS:T and I'd love to play it. Anyway, don't rush yourselves. I don't have another birthday for a year and PoE is taking up a lot of room on my Christmas list:)
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    elminster said:

IWD3!

Hush, they might hear you! Not before BGIII please!
    elminster said:

IWD3!

Ooooh.

To the Feature Requests forum! /o/
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I could never get into IWD2, mainly because I never liked the change in D&D rule set.

I would definitely love to see a PST:EE though.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    How about a Tell Tale Games adventure called "Tales of the Swordcoast".
    Wait ...
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @elminster Well, IWDEE is barely in a beta phase. More like alpha phase, actually.

Of course they're not working on PS:T:EE (is this how it would be spelled?).
    First it's IWDEE, then IWD2EE most likely and then PSTEE, which means in at least a couple of years, before they even begin talking about it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Archaos said:

@elminster Well, IWDEE is barely in a beta phase. More like alpha phase, actually.

IWDEE is in a beta phase. At the moment it just happens to be in a closed beta.

I can't really comment on what their plans are, I just noticed that on Trent's twitter replies area and figured I'd post it here. :)

Let's just skip IWD3 and go straight for IWD4!

Perhaps instead it could be IWD3.5?
    Yeah, nobody likes 4.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    elminster said:

IWD3!

To me , it would be MUCH MORE intriguing , instead they keep enchanting , they could create that 3rd. Though I can not understand if that is a joke or not, because I haven't played IWD2 to the end. There is no BG3 necessary , but why not IWD3 ? Enchanting , enchanting , enchanting... #$½%^!'!+!!!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Icewind Dale III is really the best idea. IWDII had a lot of things I didn't like, and mightactually be more difficult to enhance due to it being so different.

Even a game similar to Icewind Dale but set in another location would be great. It would have to be a more remote location rather than a city to keep the spirit of Icewind Dale.

Maztica (the Forgotten Realms' take on the pre-European Americas) would be an interesting choice. Instead of scary icy terrain we can have scary jungle terrain. The remote mountain locations can go from being like the Carpathian or Scandanavian Mountain Range style of Icewind Dale to something resembling the Andes. The barbarians would be replaced with the native tribes of Maztica. They have Yuan-Ti and scorpion people, similar to those found in IWD.

When reading up on this location (I was interested in other FR locations a few months back after seeing some posts here) I found something else really cool about the region: they have wild halflings! They are like little psychotic savages who run around naked in face paint.

If they were to make that game, they should come up with a name as original as IWD. hmm.... I think Maztica might be a good title :)

Either way, the options are all more interesting to me than remaking Icewind Dale II.
    edited September 2014

elminster said:

IWD3!

To me , it would be MUCH MORE intriguing , instead they keep enchanting , they could create that 3rd. Though I can not understand if that is a joke or not, because I haven't played IWD2 to the end. There is no BG3 necessary , but why not IWD3 ? Enchanting , enchanting , enchanting... #$½%^!'!+!!!
    Yea I can't stand all the enchanting personally. Greater Malison, Emotion: Hopelessness, Sleep, the list goes on and on :)
    Post edited by elminster on
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Hmmm, all this talk of BG3/IWD3 makes me think that I might side with IWD3 a bit more....

People would be outraged if BG3 isn't exactly what they wanted (it won't, rose tinted glasses and all)...while IWD3 is interesting...more of an open canvas and all...
    BGIII or IDIII, either way we're stuck with a newer ruleset/setting that bears little resemblance to the first games.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    edited September 2014
    elminster said:

elminster said:

IWD3!

Yea I kind stand all the enchanting personally. Greater Malison, Emotion: Hopelessness, Sleep, the list goes on and on :)
    We could use enchanting instead of "swearing" now that's a good idea. :)

You shouldn't be in the target zone if you were not a developer yourself , which 'personally' bears the insignia '12' on the forehead I think :D

Well everybody does what they likes , freedom is the number one trait for power. But let's not forget that "harmed , is the guilty" , though I doubt any rant anybody ever done about these "enhanced games" has done anything to bypass the 'saves vs. spells' of the "makers".
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Well, we'll find out at Pax 2015 :) They've announced BG2:EE at Pax 2013, IWD:EE at Pax 2014, so only a year and we'll know.

Ahm, a year, right. It is sooo loooong! ;)
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287

When reading up on this location (I was interested in other FR locations a few months back after seeing some posts here) I found something else really cool about the region: they have wild halflings! They are like little psychotic savages who run around naked in face paint.

Oooh, are they cannibals too? If they're cannibals then that sounds a lot like Dark Sun, which might make an interesting location for a game too. Beamdog could EE SSI's old game. Although, running around wacking things with bone weapons and dying of thirst all the time, isn't as fun as the brochures make it out to be. Then there's the danger of being mind fragged by sorcerer kings.

But, back to the topic at hand, I think Maztica got blasted during the Spellplague and I haven't heard if they brought it back during the Sundering, but if IWD3 were set before the plague then Maztica might make for a unique visit. How would you tie it into Icewind Dale? Power Word Imagination I guess. With such a spell, anything is possible!

wild halflings! They are like little psychotic savages

So basically they're just your average halflings?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    kcwise said:

But, back to the topic at hand, I think Maztica got blasted during the Spellplague and I haven't heard if they brought it back during the Sundering, but if IWD3 were set before the plague then Maztica might make for a unique visit.

All I know about Spellplague is that is sounds stupid and should be ignored at all costs
    Screw canon, I'm having fun here!
    kcwise said:

How would you tie it into Icewind Dale? Power Word Imagination I guess. With such a spell, anything is possible!

I wasn't thinking it had to be tied into IWD in any way, just a new game with a new setting. Just with the same rules as IWD I
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    In order to start dreaming of either IWD2:EE or PST:EE, we should first get some confirmation from Trent, such as this, now legendary, tweet:

Then we should find out that he has acquired a domain http://planescapetorment.com (currently registered to someone who's called Michael Schmidt) or ....

AND THE NEWS IS COMING!

Hear, hear, everyone:

A new domain http://icewinddaleii.com HAS BEEN CREATED just 2 days ago on 2014-09-02.

It's registered to someone who's called Adam Bukvic but still...