Skip to content

Dorn departure looping

Dee,

See attached game file. Hopefully it will act the same way for you and you won't think me nuts.

(Once again, every time I try to attach a file to the discussion note, I get a message "(xxxx.xxx) Uploaded file type is not allowed." I have copied the note in e-mail to Dee, with file attached. If anyone can tell be what I am doing wrong, I's appreciate it.)

Expected behavior: Dorn conducts one of his story dialogues with the CHARNAME upon waking, in this case at Borland's house in Beregost.

Bugged behavior:

The party had Dorn earlier in the game and released him.

I dropped Coran at the FAI and picked up Dorn again. (Frankly, we needed him to help with hauling a buttload of accumulated ankheg down from Brun's farm - the hunting was VERY good.)

Got to Beregost. Sold the current load of shells. Party was complaining of fatigue. Stopped at Borland's house. Rested.

Rep was 18 when I picked up Dorn. (Viconia was in the party, so, in the background, natural rep is 20, I suppose.) Rep dropped to 16 as it should taking on Dorn.

Upon arising from rest, Dorn immediately expressed displeasure. Text box gave a choice of apologizing to him, or he departs for FAI. Apologizing just cycled back to the same text challenge, so finally I let him go.

POINT 1: I found it odd that he was actually angry enough to leave at Rep 16, but considered it a long shot possibility.

I figured I would attempt recruiting Dorn again when I returned through the FAI for more Ankheg shells. (At the least, I would pick up Coran who was waiting there.)

~3 seconds after Dorn left Borland's house, screen flashes over to the main room of the FAI, and Dorn's text where he asks to re-join the party is presented.

If I accept him, he is transported back to the party. My rep goes down MORE 2 points. Dorn then immediately goes into the angry departure sequence again. Same as before I have to let him leave because the apology option just recycles the challenge.

POINT 2: My rep never recovers 2 points, probably because the recycling bits of drama with Dorn are all occurring before that housekeeping adjustment is completed. Rep was down to 12 before I noticed this.

If I say I don't need him yet, screen reverts to the party still at Borlan's house in Beregost, but then in ~3sec screen goes back to Dorn's re-join offer at the FAI.

Repeat choices endlessly.

During the 3 second window on the party, I can give them marching orders, which the party will follow. I got the party back to the FAI in little short marches.

POINT 3: It did not help. The cycle of Dorn challenges continued; I couldn't come up with any combo of responses, save/reloads, etc that would stop it.

I have reverted to a save 2 days earlier in game time, before recruiting Dorn. I'm following a somewhat different sequence of actions, so maybe it won't happen this time when I get back to recruiting Dorn.

I'll let you know.

(By the way, I don't see any practical way that I can test whether this would happen in 1.2. If you do see some way to do that, I'll sign on to do the (little tiny character-sized) legwork.

Follow-up, using an earlier save before recruiting Dorn:

The above effect seems to happen in this game any time (within a fairly short game calendar period) that I attempt to rest the party including Dorn at Borland's house.

When I used a precautionary quick save to back out of resting at Borland's and rested at the Red Sheaf Inn instead, upon arising I got the Dorn "...Don't trust anyone who says they are your friend. ...Perhaps the strong can trust the strong." dialogue, instead of the "How dare you!?...I'm leaving!" script.

It occurs to me that, although I have never seen it, the angry departure dialogue that results in the looping may be one of the branching results from that "distrust" dialogue...hmm??

Comments