Skip to content

[Known 7073] Magma Bulwark has wrong modifier vs. slashing

ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
edited September 2014 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
Gate70 said:

Magma Bulwark armour should show an armour class modifier of -3 vs slashing on the character record screen when equipped

1. Start a new game with the Abdel pregen
2. C: CreateItem("Plat24")
5. Go to Abdel's inventory (I) and equip the armour.
6. On Record (R), scroll down in the statistics pane to "Armor Class Modifiers"

Observed
"Slashing: -1" is listed

Expected
"Slashing: -3" should be listed

Originally reported on March 2013 here, acknowledged by @Jalily on November 2013 here, still not fixed in v1.3. Just saying.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,880
    Repro case updated on original ticket
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @Gate70‌, @Dee and others,

Please don't get the following comment in the wrong way. I mean it as constructive criticism of your current testing procedure.

I know that you are following a standardised procedure with those repro steps, but in this case is it really necessary to go through an entire map in-game just to test an armour modifier?

It looks a bit extreme. Why don't you do something like that instead:

1. open Magma Bulwark in NearInfinity and look at modifiers
    2. fix bug
    3. check in NearInfinity to see if the fix worked

Changing a modifier on a single armour is not going to mess anything else in the game. It's not like you are changing scripts or dialogues, so there is absolutely no need to check in game, but if you really want to do it anyway at least just use the console to get the armour, instead of wasting time walking and/or jumping around CTRL-Ying enemies.

You have to be more flexible, because following blindly the same procedure for all bugs will only increase the time and resources required to patch the game without providing any benefit.
    edited September 2014
    @Erg there will be other factors to consider. e.g. can NI be used to prove on Android / iPad platforms (although same applies to CTRL/J).

Edit, & just to add I'm fine with your question/suggestion and tagging of Dee :)
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited September 2014
    Gate70 said:

@Erg there will be other factors to consider. e.g. can NI be used to prove on Android / iPad platforms (although same applies to CTRL/J).

Irrelevant, the issue is not with how the modifier is shown on character screen, but the modifier is inherently wrong in the itm file. If you fix on one platform it will be fixed for all of them.
    I suppose it goes back to whether you are testing a fix, or confirming deployment of that fix across multiple platforms. I'll leave any further discussion to Dee now as those are areas I'm not involved with.
    Thanks
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You can already have the item in your inventory, @Gate70‌ - there's no need to start from an earlier area.

You could also just use the Console to C:CreateItem("plat24")

@Erg is right, the fix is on the item itself, not on the area where it's located, so there's no need to do anything except have the item.

We do try to keep our test cases out of modding tools, since it's important to be able to see what the bug's effect is in-game when we're deciding how to allocate resources for fixing it. But simpler is always better.