Skip to content

What does move silently/hide in shadows really do?

I've played baldurs gate for years and I've literally never used these two abilities any time I play the game. I don't really understand what they do. What's the point of hiding in shadows? I've never actually had to use it. I've tried backstabbing, but my thief always misses or it doesn't duplicate the damage (am I doing it wrong?), so I kind of gave up on that.

I'm starting a new game with a monk, and monks get these abilities. How do I use these abilities, especially in regards to monks?

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    You can sneak past enemies, scout ahead, and backstab. It's really very useful. Backstabbing is not great at low levels, but once you get to the end of bg1 it gets useful. having imoen able to deal 40-60 damage is always nice. If your good at it you can actually chunk difficult foes without any fight(this Is always how I get past the cowled wizard in the planar sphere, bg2). For a monk there's really no point, but I guess you can still make the first move. M
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739

Both HiS and MS do approximately the same thing, and no-one seems to have published a definitive answer about the difference (if any) between them. However, it's rumoured that the average of the two figures (i.e. (HiS + MS)/2) affects your chance of getting into Stealth successfully and that MS alone determines your chance (once per round) of remaining in Stealth for another round, so if that report is correct then MS is more important.

I absolutely agree with your post, @Gallowglass‌ but being actually the one who participated in a dispute on this subject, but now I'm convinced by @FinaLfront‌ that MS and HiS both do exactly the same thing.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/500058/#Comment_500058

Just follow that discussion, he has managed to turn my view on this subject and @elminster‌ agrees with him.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited September 2014
    Also Dee sort of pointed out that they do the same thing.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/370098/#Comment_370098
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Ah, thanks @bengoshi and @elminster‌, I'm glad to hear that @Dee has actually inspected the code and settled the issue.

This means, then, that Thief Stealth actually works identically to Ranger Stealth. There is actually only one skill which the game engine uses in calculating the success of a stealth attempt, which is the single figure called "Stealth" for a Ranger but is the average of the two figures called "Hide In Shadows" and "Move Silently" for a Thief. I already suspected that this was the case, from observing the effect on a Ranger's "Stealth" figure of equipping and unequipping various items which separately boost either "Hide In Shadows" or "Move Silently" - both increase a Ranger's Stealth figure by half of the item's bonus, regardless of whether the bonus is to HiS or to MS.

Incidentally, this also confirms that the late-SoA Boots of Elvenkind (+15% Stealth) are absolutely nothing but a slightly-inferior copy of the ordinary Boots of Stealth (+17.5% Stealth) which you've had ever since early BG1, so the Boots of Elvenkind are a totally pointless item.

Thus the only reason for the game to offer a Thief both "Hide in Shadows" and "Move Silently" as if they were separate skills (when really they're precisely the same skill) is that this makes Stealth "twice as expensive" as other Thief skills, i.e. you have to invest twice as many skill points in Stealth (by increasing both HiS and MS, or by increasing one of them twice as much) to get great Stealth, compared to other Thief skills where you have to invest skill points in only one figure. It's evidently intentional that Stealth is more expensive than other Thief skills, so fair enough.
  • bjornebjorne Member Posts: 32
    @Blink I've taken a monk through BGEE and am now 13th lvl in BG2EE. In BG2 your monk will be significantly faster than the other characters unless they have boots of speed. Although I too thought it was a throw-away skill, I now find myself using it very regularly. It's the only thing to invest in (I'll still need a thief to remove traps, so might as well let them focus on that), and now that HiS is 100 and MS is something above 50, I'm essentially invisible when I want to be prior to encountering an enemy. Rather than letting an enemy in a dungeon have the time that it takes to close in on them to buff, prepare spells, or even just shoot something at my party, I can pop up right next to them. It also does help with scouting, which the monk is pretty good at because of the increased movement speed.
  • AzamathAzamath Member Posts: 18

You have to make sure that your Thief is wielding a melee weapon (not his bow, for example)

Also don't be surprised if the backstab fails if you are using hammer, club or great sword or some other two handed or bludgeoning weapon.
    As far as i know you must use one handed piercing or slashing weapon.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    It just has to be a melee weapon that single-class thieves could normally use. A blunt weapon like a club or a quarterstaff can also be used to backstab because thieves can normally use those.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    You are standing there quietly minding your own business when all of a sudden *yipe* there is someone in front of you with a knife to your throat.

That is what "move silently" and "hide in shadows" do.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Mathsorcerer‌ You mean "behind you", but yeah.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    @FinneousPJ Only if trying to backstab.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

@Mathsorcerer‌ You mean "behind you", but yeah.

A *real* master of stealth sneaks up on his victims from the *front*.

• BlinkkBlinkk Member Posts: 25
    bjorne said:

@Blink I've taken a monk through BGEE and am now 13th lvl in BG2EE. In BG2 your monk will be significantly faster than the other characters unless they have boots of speed. Although I too thought it was a throw-away skill, I now find myself using it very regularly. It's the only thing to invest in (I'll still need a thief to remove traps, so might as well let them focus on that), and now that HiS is 100 and MS is something above 50, I'm essentially invisible when I want to be prior to encountering an enemy. Rather than letting an enemy in a dungeon have the time that it takes to close in on them to buff, prepare spells, or even just shoot something at my party, I can pop up right next to them. It also does help with scouting, which the monk is pretty good at because of the increased movement speed.

My monk is level 9 right now, so stats are fairly good. I really like using monks, I've just never known what these things do. Thanks for the tips @Bjorne. Detect traps seems pretty pointless if you can't disarm them, seeing how many traps span the length of an entire hallway, or make it very difficult to go around. When I used to play with a thief, my backstabbing ability rarely worked. I'll have to work it out with a monk.

By the way, do fists count as backstab weapons?
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2014
    Blinkk said:

I'll have to work it out with a monk.

By the way, do fists count as backstab weapons?

Yes, but monks don't get a backstab multiplier, so they don't actually get to backstab using their fists. To clarify why the difference matters: A high-level Thief can backstab when in Iron Golem form from Shapechange. (Haven't tried the Big Unit, but it might work.)
    @AnonymousHero but I can stick a sword in the monk's hand and get the backstab multiplier, yes?
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98
    Blinkk said:

@AnonymousHero but I can stick a sword in the monk's hand and get the backstab multiplier, yes?

No. Like I said, monks don't get a backstab multiplier. This applies whether or not you use a weapon.
    oh, I see. Thanks
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    They still get an attack bonus when attacking from shadows, just not the extra dmg.
  • bjornebjorne Member Posts: 32
    @Blinkk Just in case you are starting out and didn't import your monk from BG1... the bump from 18 to 19 strength for a monk from the BG1 strength tome is huge. Although you can compensate with a strength item in BG2, with 19 strength you can let others have those items.

There is also an AC glitch when importing from BG1 to BG2 which works to the character's benefit. For an imported monk BG2 treats the AC bonus from BG1 as a separate bonus while still lowering the monk's base AC in BG2. The effect is essentially a +5 bonus to AC if you imported an 8th or 9th level monk, a +4 bonus at 6th or 7th, etc. I have mixed emotions about it. On the one hand it compensates for the lack of any real wearable robes for a monk, the fact that bracers of defense do nothing in BG2 once your base AC is as low as or lower than the bracers, and the fact that they didn't put bonus to AC based on Wisdom similar to Dexterity which existed in the pen and paper version. The bonus makes the monk manageable and playable at early levels. On the other hand, however, the bonus combined wth an ever decreasing AC starts to give the monk some ridiculous AC as he goes along. Mine is turing into a real tank and is only level 13. He has an AC of -8 without even using the best AC improvements available to him (other fighters in my group have -8 or -9 since I've gone with the higher dex options of Mazzy, Jaheira, and Anomen with Dexterity gauntlets and tend to spread the wealth).

Just letting you know in case you want to take the time to go through BG1 for those differences and the feeling of taking him or her through all of the games, if you weren't already doing that of course.
    @bjorne Yeah, I'm just starting out as a monk in BGII. I've never played with a monk before (Rasaad is kind of weak when you first find him in Nashkill) but I've been reading up on them and figuring out how to use them. I'm still kind of new to BG as well, and the stats can sometimes be pretty complicated. Anyways, that glitch sounds interesting. I don't know that I'll play the whole first game just to get that increase, though. It might be fun to work with the monk as it the first time around and really get used to him. (Then, maybe later I can do the glitch)

Thanks for the heads up, either way.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Exploiting such glitches isn't remotely necessary. Rasaad may be rather weak in BG and early-BG2, but by the middle of SoA (and throughout ToB) he's very solid, a fine front-row tank. A protagonist monk tends to have better stats, and so be even tougher.