Skip to content

[Not an Issue] Empty basement on Shandalar's House upon quicksave/load [PC-Windows]

AzaloomAzaloom Member Posts: 56
edited September 2014 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
It appears that if you quick-save immediately after entering the basement to face the group of cultist and Aec'Letec and when you load this state the area is empty. I had my finger resting on Q and accidentally pressed it by reflex when I entered there. When I had to reload, no one is there. With scarce save points there’s a good amount of re-playing to do for me. I’m running the latest version through Beamdog.

http://tinypic.com/r/15na89d/8

edit2: Now with a proper Zip file.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @Azaloom, I'm unable to reproduce this bug. When I quicksave and reload everyone is still there.

Can you please upload your savegame?

To do so, zip (or rar or 7zip, etc.) the whole folder named 000000001-Quick-Save, or something like that, and attach it here.
  • AzaloomAzaloom Member Posts: 56
    Thank you for looking into this. I forgot to add on my original message that perhaps this could be more general bug when saving just after entering a new area where you would enter in dialogue more or less instantly?
    edited September 2014
    It seems that the file didn't attach on first try. Another try.

edit: I'm not sure even now that it's attached - I can't see it here myself. Please tell me if it's there and I'll try again.

edit2: Got it now. I missed the small warning bar on the bottom of screen saying the file type was illegal and upload failed.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Tried to look into this for you, but I can't even get the content out of the archive, either with a .ZIP or .ZIPX extension. Just a bunch of diagnostic errors.
    The archive worked for me, I'm looking into it.

So far I can confirm the problem in your savegame as the variable values seems to suggest that they should have spawned, but they are nowhere to be found nor are they dead.

I have no idea what's causing this and I was unable, so far, to replicate this bug on my install, but I can provide a workaround.

Enabling the console and using the following command should do the trick:
    C:SetGlobal("Cult63Spawn","GLOBAL",0)
    @erg Thanks for that workaround solution. That will help me a lot.

I uninstalled the WinZip (gave me only a bucket load of trouble) and switched to UltimateZip. I replaced the attached save package on first post to proper Zip file.
    Azaloom said:

I uninstalled the WinZip (gave me only a bucket load of trouble) and switched to UltimateZip. I replaced the attached save package on first post to proper Zip file.

UltimateZip looks interesting, but it is a commercial product with a 30 days trial period.

My personal favourite file archiver is PeaZip. It is totally free, open source, without any ads and does not contain third party sponsored offers. Besides it works great.
    Btw. this is not the only problem of this sort I have experienced during my current gameplay. One other I easily remember to point is that Lothander did not appear no matter what in front of the diviner’s tent in Central Baldur’s Gate on the “Marek’s Poison” subquest. I had to pickpocket Chantalas Ulbright to acquire the Tome of Understanding, which normally should be had carrying out the mission.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited September 2014
    You should make new threads for each individual issue. Makes tracking and marking issues easier.
    edited September 2014
    @Franpa I know I should, but I don't have the save game states predating these events. But I thought they might be worth mentioning here, because are similar in nature. (edit: plus these things predate the latest patch)

Also another oddity that I try to recollect the best I can. When I entered the fifth floor in Iron Throne HQ in Baldur's Gate through the sewers in front of the Duke’s mansion, there is this merchant party (I'm unable to find out about the leading lady’s name) and Aasim, Diyab etc. most of their party disappeared just instantly, as I entered the floor. They were all visible for a very short moment upon entering, but seemingly random number of them (but always several) just disappeared upon entering. On some retries only one person did not disappear and was left to fight me.

edit: I looked this up and didn't remember all the facts right. Wasn't a merchant party but some sort of negotiations group:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gZLcrkmqBY#t=2m38s
    It's my first play through the game after my first play since the original release in 1998, so I don't remember it in and out. A lot on that Iron Throne HQ leading up to the fifth floor confrontation and the disappearance of most the characters there upon entering seems to be different for me that what's on the video. I seem to have been missing much of the dialogue chances on lower floors - pretty much everything regarding the negotiations and Emissary Tar, as I far as can remember. But this could be just due to my different path to go about on the main story...
    Post edited by Azaloom on
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,872
    Hi
    I've tried reproducing and even pressing the Q key mid transition it works fine. Will mark as not an issue for the time being but if anyone can reliably reproduce this behaviour please update for further review.
    Thanks
    Same sort of thing happened again on the Mysterious Island with the Greater Wolfwere on the top level of the shipwreck, but I don’t mind creating a new thread for that. I went out and battled the top floor guys and as all but the aforementioned beast was unslain and it was killing my group as it seemed unaffected by any of my attacks I retreated to lower level. I did this and that, among what saved at a couple of points. I learned about the important sword above in a container while sneaking hidden and I retrieved it. I readied my fighters and did one try to fight the thing, failing. Then I decided to try a different tactic and just upon entering the stairs I saved and learned that this time the beast had vanished. That looks like the case with that save point, nothing I could do. Fortunately or not, this time I only have to battle the entire top level group again, as another save point was not too far.