Skip to content

Polymorph, Flesh to Stone and Disintegrate?

Anyone using these spells (Polymorph other, Feeblemind, Flesh to Stone, Disintegrate, Finger of Death etc.)? How do they work in lategame?

It's quite obvious that you'll need an Greater Malison before casting these spells. I haven't tried them out in the enhanced editions, but reading the description it seems they pretty much instantly kill its target.

Regards

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    The trouble with Flesh to Stone is that it petrifies your enemy's loot as well as your enemy. Similarly, Disintegrate often disintegrates the enemy's loot. Therefore I avoid these spells.

Finger of Death is great, it's one of the go-to spells which is always worth trying. Yes, it works better if you Greater Malison the enemy first (or if you've run out of GMal, then Doom also helps).

Feeblemind can be effective (primarily for stopping mages), but I usually find more valuable uses for my level 5 spell slots (such as Breach and Chaos), so I don't often use Feeblemind.

Polymorph Other, hmmm ... I remember once taking down Sarevok with a Polymorph at the end of BG1, but generally I've hardly ever used it, again because I have higher-priority uses for my level 4 spell slots (such as Stoneskin and Greater Malison).
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    They're decent spells. I'm not too fussed about loot because with metagaming we all know who has the stuff worth having. I quite like using Imprisonment on beholders and such as it's the easiest way to get rid of them.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Do they give xp if you Imprison them? Also, isnt that... MEAN?!
  • TolbenTolben Member Posts: 26
    Finger of Death is useful throughout the entire sage. As others have said, Flesh to Stone and Disintegrate lose some of their value due to the risk factor attached to them. Polymorph other is a fun spell, and Feeblemind is a spell that I almost always use since it essentially disables enemies.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    DreadKhan said:

Do they give xp if you Imprison them? Also, isnt that... MEAN?!

Yes, you do. Once that happens, you can then cast Freedom to bring them back and kill them again *just to prove that you can*. You still earn xp for killing them this way--double the reward!

• kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 169
    edited September 2014
    F2S and Disintegrate destroying loot rendered them useless imo, leaving big hole in level6/7 powerful spells
    Thankfully can mod with SetAIScript so they retain the loot tho http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23292/modding-flesh-to-stone-to-drop-inventory
  • MWOMWO Member Posts: 214
    Thanks for the comments. However, I'm playing RPG-style and hence I don't really care about the loot. That's not an issue for me, as long as questitems arn't destroyed. :-)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316

F2S and Disintegrate destroying loot rendered them useless imo, leaving big hole in level6/7 powerful spells
    Thankfully can mod with SetAIScript so they retain the loot tho http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23292/modding-flesh-to-stone-to-drop-inventory

Or you can just go into the settings and turn off gore. That does it as well :)
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    elminster said:

Or you can just go into the settings and turn off gore. That does it as well :)

Or, even better, you can just use the original (non enhanced) games plus TobEx, and have both the gore and the loot :)