I understand this suggestion might not be popular with most of this forum's dwellers, who could argue that the devs should focus on the actual gameplay - a valid point - or may dislike Steam as a distribution platform - indeed players should buy games directly from the devs' website when available.
However, I don't mind being lynched, the fact is that Steam nowadays reprents 70 to 80% of the online sales of most games, and achievements have a proven positive impact on games' long term sales (which is why they exist in the first place) as they increase the virality and the perceived entertainment value of the games. If you're not familiar with them, they work kind of like the badges of this forum.
Here are some examples for BG:EE:
- rescue Dynaheir from her captors
- complete Dorn's story quest
- find and equip the Sword of Balduran
- enter the city of Baldur's Gate
- survive Durlag's Tower
- discover all surface maps
- complete the game with a very high / very low reputation
- complete the game in solo
- Black Pits: complete the Tier 1, escape from the Pits, kill Ghlouralk the Beholder
Since Beamdog hasn't included achievements in the Steam versions of BG:EE and BG2:EE I doubt they'll ever do it, but it's worth suggesting anyway (unless of course this would already have been debated elsewhere).
How do you feel about it?