Skip to content

Sisters of the Shieldmaiden

I felt inspired to write this thanks to @booinyoureyes‌. This is the brief background story to my first IWD:EE party, Sisters of the Shieldmaiden:

Lady Erawyn Shieldmaiden, a paladin in the service of Sune, was born to a succesful spice merchant of Waterdeep and a harlot. Erawyn's father, Lord Ormir of House Dukhal, wanted nothing to do with the child. Her mother, Ashalia, could not support herself and Erawyn at the same time. With no other option at hand, Ashalia left the tiny, red-haired baby at the doorsteps of the Temple of Beauty.

Erawyn was taken in by the clerics of Lady Firehair and grew up to become a kind-hearted and beautiful young women. Yet despite her great love for her many mother-figures at the temple, she felt an emptiness inside; she felt lost. She wanted, nay, needed to learn the truth of her past.

At the age of sixteen, Erawyn was admitted into the Order of the Ruby Rose. She was then tasked by Heartwarder Velandriel, who also granted her the unoffical title of Shieldmaiden, to leave the Temple of Beauty behind and journey forth so that she could do good in Lady Firehair's name. With fate willing, perhaps she would also be able to somehow fill the void inside of herself as well.

Erawyn's first companions were Asgara Hornhelm, a dwarven warrior-priestess of Haela Brightaxe, and Jorie Hillflower, a halfling rogue, with whom Erawyn saved the village of Everhope from a goblin invasion.

Faebeth Thessana, a human mage, and Vela Stormheart, a half-elven bard, were next. Erawyn meet them at the Dancing Cyclops tavern. Just like her, they were searching for their father, a waterdhavian merchant by the name of Ormir of House Dukhal. Thus Erawyn was closer to the truth than ever before, but she had no way of knowing that Faebeth and Vela were in fact her half-sisters. Despite this, she promised her newfound friends that she would aid them in their search.

Ormir had fled Waterdeep for reasons unknown, but the party found a lead; it seemed that the last person that had seen him alive was a certain Kaleen Eldramin, an elven druid of Silvanus. When Erawyn and the others found her, Kaleen told them that she had been tasked to guide Ormir through the wilderness of Icewind Dale. She had left him, just as she had been instructed, just outside one of Icewind Dale's Ten Towns; Easthaven.

Kaleen told them that three years had passed since that journey and that she had no way of knowing if Ormir was still in Easthaven... or alive at all, for that matter. Even so, when Erawyn asked her if she could guide them as well, Kaleen could not refuse her. And so the party set out, not aware of the role they would play in the great conflict-to-come...

Will update with more later on. Sleepy now.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    So, @Sniiiimon‌ , howzit? It was such an inspiring read and maybe there can be an update :)
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    edited October 2014
    "So Kaleen," Erawyn asked, combing her long crimson hair as she did. "What did you think about Hrothgar?" She had removed her plate armor, longsword and shield and was now seated in front of the small, round mirror above the desk.

The elf sat cross-legged on her bed. She did not respond at first and was just about to enter the Trance. "He seems trustworthy enough."

"I quess," Erawyn mumbled. "He seems like a hard man. But with a soft core. I sensed no evil within him."

Kaleen furrowed her thin eyebrows. "That means little in the end, does it not? Even those that have no darkness tainting their heart and soul can still betray one's trust."

"Wait, I thought you just said-"

"I know what I said," Kaleen whispered, her eyes still closed, trying hard to avoid wistfulness to enter her voice."Yet I have been wrong before, many a time."

Uncertain on how to continue the conversation, Erawyn put down her silver comb; a gift from her mother. Her real mother. She could hear Vela snoring in the room next to theirs. How a girl that petite, and a halfblood elf at that, could make that much noise during sleep she would never know. For the second time that night her cheeks burned bright, and this time not from frustration. Jorie was being louder still.

"Why do you take care of your hair *before* you sleep?" Kaleen wondered, in an attempt to change the subject no doubt. "You still have to do it in the morning, do you not?"

The paladin pouted. "Because it helps me relax. And it buys me some time."

"For what?"

"For things to settle down."

Erawyn refused to turn her head to see that knowing smile of hers. She knew that if she could hear the others, then so could Kaleen... and more.

"I'm sure it's very pleasant and all that," Erawyn said, blowing out the lit candle on the desk. "But I sure wish they could be more quiet about it..."

Once she was under the many blankets covering her bed, she yawned, her jaw aching. Despite the warmth from the hearth below, the interior of Snowdrift Inn was still a tad too cold for her.

Soon she could hear nothing but Kaleen's soft breathing. She had entered the Trance and, with this in mind, Erawyn fell into a dreamless slumber.

ASK THE OTHERS FIRST. DO THEY TRUST HIM? IF THEY DO NOT, HOW COULD WE?

The hobgoblin licked his dry lips, his burning ice-blue eyes finding those of his lieutenants. Most of the goblins cowered before his withering gaze. 'As well they should,' the hobgoblin thought, his plate armor of raven-black metal screaming as he leaned back on his throne.

"Turaxia," the hobgoblin began, his voice deep and booming, "wishes to know if this scout are to be trusted. What say you, Niszkh, seeing as you are his superior?"

The goblin in question, Niszkh, squeaked and tried to hide behind his fellow lieutenant Dreka. She did not seem to notice or, at least, care. How very pathetic they could be, his little soldiers.

"M-me trust him," the goblin scout-master stammered, trying to follow Dreka's moments as she swayed back and forth, back and forth, humming quietly to herself. "Krank's g-good scout, would nots lie, no!"

The hobgoblin allowed his glare to linger on Niszkh a moment longer before looking to his left, past Smoin. "And what say you, Brogg?"

The ancient goblin snorted. He was one of the few that showed little to no fear. "If yous can't trust his words, then maybe yous master should reads his thoughts?"

"Turaxia and I need loyal soldiers. Soldiers that I need to use no such tricks on." The hobgoblin exhaled, his fingers tightening around the hilt of his serrated longsword. "I shall trust you, as much as your report pains me."

AND I SHALL DO AS BROGG SAID. JUST TO BE SURE.

Krank swallowed, his arm tired from his long-held salute. The hobgoblin, General Zeddug, might be his boss now but he missed Warchief Morkhan. He at least never forced him to salute.

General Zeddug's eyes flashed. "Start from the beginning."

"M-me was up the north cliffs. Me saw group of six, two humies, two pointy-ears and," the goblin spat, "two shorties enter town from south."

"If this is true," Zeddug said, "there are now twelve new adversaries in total that we need to take into account. Did you spot anyone from the first group?"

"Only one. The bigs dark one. He pushed aside a humie child, a girl, who was playing with thats furry little snack... erm... squirrel?"

"Did he now? And why is that?"

"Mes not sure. He took the squirrel in his hands and crushed it, me think. Such waste. Whatevs he did, it made the humie girl scream and faint and the other children runs away."

General Zeddug blinked and started howling with laughter. "A human with a sense of humor, who would have thought?!" He licked his lips again, more than certain that he would enjoy killing that one. "And the second group?"

"Them entered that big building that stinks of nasty drinks. They were in there for a long time. Me also saws that old warrior humie come and go from there. Then they left and entered another big buildig. Then me came back here, and Freeg tooks over."

The hobgoblin nodded as Krank finished his report. "Very well, soldier. Dismissed. Now then," Zeddug adressed his lieutenants. "Turaxia and I thought that Hrothgar would have left Easthaven by now, as earlier reports spoke of this expedition of his. Whatever his reasons for staying, we cannot wait much longer."

INDEED. WE MUST PAINT THE SNOW RED WITH THEIR BLOOD.

"But General," Smoin growled, placing a hand on his sister Dreka's shoulder to still her movements. "The troops ain't ready. Besides, me not sure ifs we-"

Zeddug forced the blade of his sword into the frozen ground, silencing the goblin. Even Dreka took notice. "You seem to forget, Smoin, that most of the people of Easthaven are not warriors. Not like you and your kin. However skilled these... guests might be, do you truly believe they can make that great of a difference?"

Smoin said nothing further. Zeddug continued, "We will not rush into Easthaven like mindless fools en masse. Turaxia and I have a plan. Niszkh, summon Krax to our side at once. And Brogg, tell us the current status of the Well..."
    Post edited by Sniiiimon on
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    edited November 2014
    When Erawyn woke up the following morning, she found herself alone. The tiny room, which only had the space neccessary to house a pair of narrow beds and an old desk, closet and drawer, was colder than the night before. Kaleen was nowhere to be seen - no wonder, as the Trace only lasted for around four hours. Erawyn could not help but wonder why someone had not started a new fire in the hearth below?

She shuddered and steeled herself as she pushed her sleeping blankets aside. She got dressed, her pale teal shirt and white trousers cool to the touch, and made her way to the mirror. She began to comb her hair once more, scowling as she took note of the dark rings under her eyes. Her reflection's expression was hard, far more so than it usually was. And her hair refused to stay in place. She was a mess, as simple as that.

They had only been in Easthaven for a day, true, but so far they had learned nothing of Ormir and his whereabouts. It made Erawyn frustrated. If Hrothgar, the self-proclaimed defender of this place, knew nothing of him then who would? They had asked Griselda, the matron of the tavern they had spent the previous evening at, and she knew him not. Neither did Quimby, the owner of this here inn. There was a temple of Tempus - or Tempos as he was called around these parts - nearby. Perhaps they should try their luck there next, after the meeting with Hrothgar?

Erawyn put down her comb with a soft clink, cursing silently as she did. There was something terribly amiss with all this, and she could not for the life of her put her finger on as to what. It was as Hrothgar had said last night; there was something else in the biting cold outside. Something ugly and wicked. And this feeling of wrongness was seeping into her, clawing at her insides, mocking her.

She sighed deeply and looked down at the comb between her fingers. It was beautiful, made from metal akin to silver, with carvings of thorny vines and rose petals. Her mother's first and final gift to the daughter she never had the chance to meet... if she had ever wanted to do that to begin with.

She could hear Vela singing downstairs and the smell of freshly baked loaves of bread and spiced porridge reached her nostrils. Her stomach gurgled in response, making her smile. Warmth was finding its way into her body. She placed the comb into its leather pouch and put it down carefully in her backpack. Whatever the dreadful feeling was, she surmised, there was little she could alone just thinking about it.

"There ye are," she heard Asgara said from the doorway. She was clad in her chainshirt - she did always say that she felt naked without it - and her short, straw-colored hair was as unruly as ever. Her eyes, the darkest shade of blue, was full of mirth as she raised an eyebrow at her friend. "I know ye need yer beauty sleep and all that, but we should make our way to Hrothgar's soon."

Erawyn sniffed. "Yes but let me eat first... I'm hungry. Is Jorie up? I want to-"

"Apologize again?" Asgara chuckled. "Yes, she's downstairs, stuffing her face full with food no doubt."

Erawyn could picture Jorie already, her cheeks puffed out, her lips smeared with jam and crumbs and butter. It made her laugh for the first time in what felt like ages. "I see... Is everyone else up?"

"They're up and about, yes. Vela and Fae are talking with an elf - Eravain, I think his name was - and my love's all over our food as we speak." She scratched her cheek, taking note no doubt of her fuzzy beard-to-be. She looked troubled for a moment. "As for Kaleen... haven't seen her in hours. She was up way before dawn. Said something about the lake."

Erawyn could not help but wonder what she could be doing there. She voiced this question to Asgara, who shrugged. "I haven't the slightest clue, I'm afraid. Perhaps she wanted to commune with nature or what have ye?"

"Perhaps. I'll take some food with me. I can talk with Jorie later on. I want to make sure Kaleen's okay."

Asgara nodded and turned to return downstairs. "I'm sure she is. She is tough, that one... for an elf. But do as ye please."

The air outside was indeed colder than the night before. The sun was hidden behind clouds of steel and each breeze, gentle or not, cut into Erawyn's body like daggers, despite her fur-clad cloak and thick and well-greased leather. Following the muddy trail leading from the Snowdrift Inn down to the lake was an easy enough task.

She waved with her free hand - the other holding unto the cloth with a loaf of bread and some dried meat inside - and greeted all the townsfolk she encountered... most of which either ignored her outright or stared at her like she had grown a second head like an ettin. Mostly the men. She shook her head and soon enough she was down by shore of Lac Dinneshere.

Kaleen was sitting upon one of the flat, large rocks near the icy water. She was clad in her usual leather outfit, that revealed far too much of her skin to Erawyn's liking - how could the coldness not bother her? - and her braided, raven-colored hair was moving as if it had a will of its own. She whipped her head around as Erawyn came closer. Her face was a mask of serenity yet her coal-black eyes was filled with... fear?

Erawyn stopped and her heart began to race. "Kaleen? What's wrong?"

The elven druid bit her lower lip, hard enough to nearly draw blood, before she spoke. "I... I am not certain, Erawyn. It think something... or someone... is coming. The Dale herself is in great pain. She suffers and I cannot... I know not what to do."

"I know, I can feel it too." Erawyn took a step closer, then another. "If it's okay with you, we can eat and talk and maybe make some sense of all this. Together we can do what we can't on our own. So... please let me sit with you."

Kaleen was silent for a moment. "I... I think I would like that. Wyn."
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Thanks for sharing this gem with us.