Skip to content

Boots of Speed stops working (plus other means of quickening) [PC Windows]

AzaloomAzaloom Member Posts: 56
edited September 2014 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
I was in final stages of battling Aec’Letec (it was in near death condition as sole survivor) as suddenly my main character wearing The Paws of the Cheetah (boots of speed) slowed down to normal speed*. That definitely made things a little bit harder and also other means of speeding her up again did not appear to be working. I continued normally after I finished the battle and thought that perhaps it was just some short of effect of something I don’t know or I somehow missed and that it’ll probably wear off. After I rested in inn and when things weren’t back to “normal” I started investigating. It was only when I switched the boots to Imoen briefly (Imoen got faster) and back to my main character when she sped up again.

I made a save point right after I slayed Aec’Letec and I loaded it for a tryout. Main character remains there slowed down. Now switching the boots on Imoen and back won’t help. Also Oil of Speed and Haste do not speed her up.

I might as well ask this here at same that is it normal behavior that things put on carry-on containers lose weight or are considered weightless? I had not paid attention to this earlier. But now I noticed that when I was near my carry limit and I took out a bunch of stacked potions from Potion Case I became encumbered. It seems unnatural, unless of course they are considered magical in nature.

I'm running latest version via Beamdog, in Windows 8.1 Pro x64 environment. Oh and I don't know if I should mention this here or if I’m allowed to create this bug report at all, because after my last very recent thread in this section I had to enable CLUAconsole to spawn the cultists on that basement. Enabling the console and summoning the cultists there are the only alterations I have performed beyond vanilla state.

*edit: I think this has happened to me earlier, perhaps on more than one occasion, but I've just ignored it and carried on.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Did you use Potions of Freedom?
    Items inside containers having no weight IS a desired effect.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,880
    @Azaloom‌ If you mean Dyna, she has free action. This over-rides any haste effects so believe this is not an issue.
    Thanks
  • AzaloomAzaloom Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2014
    I could have used a Potion of Freedom for Dyna on the beginning of that battle, but definitely nowhere near at the time she slowed down - it was sudden and unexpected. Perhaps some effect wore down at that moment that prevented the potion to work on the boots until then?

edit: She had multiple effects to speed her up multiple times the normal throughout the entire battle, right till that ending moment. Now this has me thinking that perhaps she slowed down gradually with a few steps and that Potion of Freedom's I might've and judging by that status must've drank at the beginning effect on the boots became apparent after the other effects wore down.

edit2: A little slow here... Now I see that that chain of reasoning I just made is invalid by if the other means of speeding her up (potion & haste) should also not work because the Potion of Freedom.
    Post edited by Azaloom on
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited September 2014
    Azaloom said:

I might as well ask this here at same that is it normal behavior that things put on carry-on containers lose weight or are considered weightless? I had not paid attention to this earlier. But now I noticed that when I was near my carry limit and I took out a bunch of stacked potions from Potion Case I became encumbered. It seems unnatural, unless of course they are considered magical in nature.

Check the description of the item, it will probably say something like "Items in this container are 20% of original weight" or some such, at least it does for Bags of Holding.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,880
    I can think of 3 explanations.
    1. Your character hadn't consumed a potion of freedom at the start and did so at the slowdown point.
    2. Your character had previously consumed a potion and not re-equipped the boots when the potion wore off. She was then under a dispellable effect such as oil of speed or haste spell and a dispel (either enemy de-buff or arrow of dispelling to remove an Aec'Letec dying symbol) slowed her down.
    3. Some sort of game bug, for which I don't think we have enough information above to prove / disprove.

I've just tested 2 on BG:EE. Dyna sped up so that option is out unless you aren't running version 1.3 of the game. I'm tempted to leave this as undetermined for the time being and see if it can be replicated or if other people report similar issues.

Oh, and container contents weighing zero is as expected.