Skip to content

[Not an Issue] Poison not neutralized

dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
edited August 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
In recent transit encounter with ettercaps (I HATE those guys!) between Cloakwood locations, two characters (Coran and Viconia) who were hit/poisoned. Countered poison w/ antidote dose and Slow Poison resoectively.

Poison marker (skull and crossbones) on the character portraits went away.

Combat continued, and these two characters were continuing to take hits. But then after all ettercaps were dead, the two characters STILL continued to take hits. It appeared from the text scroll that both were still suffering poison effects even though the character icons were not so marked.

Additional antidote on Coran DID NOT stop the poison, he eventually died. A further Neutralize Poison spell did apparently stop the poison in Viconia; either that or the dose ran its course.

This is the first instance I have ever seen where antidote and/or Slow Poison did not counter ettercap poison, and also the first instance I've ever seen where the skull/crossbones icon disappeared from character portrait but poison effects continued.

(I am going to the auto-save on this one. No way Coran should have died, w/ multiple antidotes, etc.)
Post edited by elminster on

Comments

• FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited September 2014
    Did they have the Acid effect applied to them? Because that behaves very similar to poison iirc (Rapid damage over time).
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Well, it was an ettercap attack. Ettercaps are supposed to have a poison attack.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,874
    Hi @dreamrider‌
    I can't reproduce this despite my blackguard throwing his armour at 4 ettercaps and shameless cheating to keep him alive as he was about to expire. They hit really quick in groups & are likely to be damaging faster than you can heal with 1 antidote/healing potion/elixir per 6 seconds, but that doesn't explain continued damage with no portrait icons.

On the options screen can you advise what game version is showing please. & is your game modded in any way.
    Thanks
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    If you open the Records screen while they are getting hurt by this "poison" you can usually view what ailment is affecting them. This helps clear up any mistaken observation as the Acid effect icon can be kinda hard to see on some portraits.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,874
    If ettercaps or spiders were the only enemy, it should only be possible to be poisoned. But yes, worth checking to see if the game is applying an incorrect effect. I'd like to rule out game version and mod content though to make sure there are no other factors to consider.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited September 2014
    Game is v1.3, though the game was started during v1.3 beta.
    No mods.

Only ettercaps were in the opposition. It was an in-transit "you have been waylaid" ambush.

I used at least 1 antidote and 1 Slow Poison on Coran AFTER the ettercaps were all dead. No poison icon showing, damage rounds continuing, and he died anyway. The antidote dose WAS consumed, and the Slow Poison DID execute. (There was also at least one antidote & one Slow Poison for Coran during the combat, but he could easily have been hit again after that.)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited August 2015
    I can't think of anything that could cause something like this other than a faulty antidote potion (its also been a really long time since you experienced the issue so I'm not expecting you to have a save from beforehand).

Edit: I think I'm going to close this thread. If someone happens to get a repo step or experiences the issue again I can reopen it.
    Post edited by elminster on
This discussion has been closed.