Skip to content

New XP cap limit?

moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
So it's been mentioned that the XP cap will raise from the TotSC (which I think was 161K) in order to allow a bit more progression with the new content.

What do you reckon the new cap will be - and why do you think that?

I'm guessing it will be 251K - enough to give most classes at least one more level - but not too much to overpower the game. In actuality I think it will range between 251K-301K but I'm staking my bet on the lower end of the scale.

Comments

• DejwoSWKDejwoSWK Member Posts: 35
    I think it will be 500000(level 10 fighter),probably because of new content already in main game and still some more in Black Pits...so level 10/11 seems right for me..
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    The Black Pits won't tie into the main game so XP gained there won't be counted. From what I have read your Black Pits party and your BG1 game party are two different entities. Their paths will never cross.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    500,000 its fine.
  • DejwoSWKDejwoSWK Member Posts: 35
    decado said:

The Black Pits won't tie into the main game so XP gained there won't be counted. From what I have read your Black Pits party and your BG1 game party are two different entities. Their paths will never cross.

Well,I thought you could import your BG party to Black Pits,which will most likely be in higher levels than main game,it could be possible to complete main game+totsc and then import to BP(and then probably to BG2)...it could fill in little gap between BG 1 and 2,but it could not be in inverted way(sorry,best phrase I could came with),meaning you have main game party around level 5,complete BP but you could not import that party back to main game

• XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I'm hoping that it reaches a more decent level so that I can more properly advance Imoen to level 9 (instead of 7) so that her backstab reaches x4 when I decide to Dual her to Mage (Or conjurer if that's allowed).

Sorry if I didn't join in the conversation, I do believe they should just let it go to 3/4ths of a million to a million and call it a day. There are people asking for the cap plain just removed, but I think that'd just be silly, considering that it would take forever for those high levels to be achieved, and would make the final fight in BG1 all too easy.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited August 2012
    I think I mentioned several times around now - I think that the global gains of BG + ToTSC, experience wise, are around 1.5 million XP. Nothing more. Divided per six, that's exactly 250,000 XP. Fact is - game always thinks you'll change a party member here and there, so you get more occasions to hit 161K XP with all six party members (that if you played with six party members)

With new content coming, I bet that the global XP gains will be around 2 million, meaning that the XP cap should be, theoretically, raised to 250,000 - 300,000 XP. I don't think it's going to be anything more than that (unless they intend to make some major rework to early areas of BG2EE, especially Irenicus' dungeon, the Circus tent and the Slaver Compound.
    edited August 2012
    Re-reading the forums it seems the consensus is that you should be able to import your BG1 party into the Black Pits but not back out again. So the point still stands that XP gained from the pits can be discounted from the total XP gains from BG1.

Cheesebellys predicts match my own - BG2-EE needs to be considered and allow much higher levels will require unnecessary rework for when BG2-EE rolls around.

Remember I asked "what do you think it will be?", not "what do you hope it will be?". Big difference.
  • JustywustyJustywusty Member Posts: 7
    Keep in mind that the experience needed to reach each level rises quite dramatically with each one. If I remember correctly, though TotSC raised the XP game greatly, it only added 1 level really (except for maybe thieves and clerics). My point being that, unless they add some creatures or quests that award massive XP, it would take a VERY long time to get too far beyond level 9 or 10. Back in the late 90's I used an XP cap remover for TotSC and it required a ridiculous amount of experience to make that even worthwhile.
    I'm going from memory on this, but:
    Demon Knight (only one): 15000xp?
    Greater Basilisk: 7000 xp
    Helmed Horror: 4000 xp
    Greater Doppleganger: 4000 xp

If they raise the cap, we're gonna need some high xp enemies to grind on.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2012
    It'll be -1 as soon xp cap remover goes into action.
    I've heard it's really easy to create an XP cap remover - anyone have an idiots guide on how to do it?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

I'm going from memory on this, but:
    Demon Knight (only one): 15000xp?
    Greater Basilisk: 7000 xp
    Helmed Horror: 4000 xp
    Greater Doppleganger: 4000 xp

Greater Basilisk is actually normally 4000 XP, however the one next to Mutamin is worth 7000 XP.

Going with what you're saying, I think Aec'Letec was worth a hefty 15,000 XP or so as well. Drizzt is worth like 12,000 XP, too.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited August 2012
    Aec'Letec is 16k, Shandalar 26k. Just saying...
    @decado I'm also interested in this, since I've heard you can do it in 5 minutes with Notepad.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    edited August 2012
    decado said:

I've heard it's really easy to create an XP cap remover - anyone have an idiots guide on how to do it?

Open XPCAP.2DA (with an IE editor like NI, since the file is likely to be in BIF file), change all values to -1. Save the file in override~

Depending on values found in XPLEVEL.2DA, CLAB****.2DA and other files you may not be able to level past a certain point or gain any bonus from new levels.
    edited August 2012
    @lansounet Hey thanks for the info!
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    @decado
    I always removed the XP-cap. It seems nonsense to me that there should be a point where performing your job (be it whacking Xvarts, hurling Fireballs, Draw(ing) upon Holy Might or nicking purses) would stop meaning getting better at it. It's not cheating, it's just making the world more realistic.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Ditto what decado said.
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    Phyrax said:

@decado
    I always removed the XP-cap. It seems nonsense to me that there should be a point where performing your job (be it whacking Xvarts, hurling Fireballs, Draw(ing) upon Holy Might or nicking purses) would stop meaning getting better at it. It's not cheating, it's just making the world more realistic.

It makes sense, but you eventually end up with a overpowered party and the game becomes less and less fun.

In my first time in BG1 I only noticed that the XP stopped at 89000 when the party gets poisoned by Marek and Lothander. I assumed they were connected lol.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    One extra lvl max chaps, we don't want to break bg2.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Well, there are two sides of it. The first side is that you want the encounters to still be challenging.

The other side is that you want to reward the players who do spend the time grinding and gaining levels, or they spend the last two or three chapters of the game not seeing any growth in their characters.

It's the same reason why the Final Fantasy games (pre-XIII, anyway) had the cap at Level 99. Normally you finish the game at level 50-60, but if you really want to, you can get all the way up to 99. The final battle becomes really easy, but if you want it, it's there.

It throws off the balance for BG2 a little bit, but I see no reason not to let a player start with that kind of advantage, if he's put in the effort.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Removing the XP cap will give you more levels, true. Especially if you have mods installed. But you can also install SCS for a greater challenge. The final battle, and indeed all the major battles, will still be really tough.

In BG2 with SCS II installed the game remains very challenging even starting a few levels higher.

You can also increase difficulty by assembling parties that aren't filled with the strongest NPCs. Instead of Kagain try Garrick. Use Cernd instead of Keldorn. Etc.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Hey, now, there's a difference between getting a challenge and committing party suicide... ;)
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Honestly even with just tales of the sword coast installed I usually have a problem with Sarevok if I'm not super careful. Of course one of those runs was with a ranger and teh last time was a Tutu cavalier. So ><
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    Sarevok SHOULD be tough, it is the final battle of the game. But if thats the only thing thats giving you a problem, then all is well, since it is just 1 fight and it is at the very end. Not to mention that he can be cheesed quite easily if you know how and can't resist the urge.

I don't think I will be playing BG:EE without SCS because the game would just be too easy then (the vanilla AI is just way too dumb), and the developers most likely haven't done much to rectify that. But we'll see. If the XP cap is raised a lot, this will make everything even more easier. And then the problem will be there at the start of BG 2, too.

And yes, I am aware of the fact that Baldur's Gate IS a hard game for beginners (which is part of the reason the devs certainly will avoid trying to make it even harder than how it was back in the day). But there's always mods! Go ahead and remove the XP cap if you want to.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    I dont think that exp cap should be raised at all depending on the monsters they add on new areas ofc but if there are no beholders/illithids/adamantium golems or something like that then the exp should remain in my oppinion. 1lvl more doesnt seem like much but it adds up with 6member party its 6lvls total and thats a huge difference. and if you want to get 1more lvl for each class then it should be raised to 300k exp and that would give druids 2lvl more and that would give druids 2lvl 6casts a day which would make them op but no matter really to me i dont play druids :D
  • Silver6986Silver6986 Member Posts: 26
    I agree with raywind, tbh I would reach the limit a fair distance before completing the game anyways (with BG:ToSC installed) and this was just due to exploring the maps a lot with just Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira and I still enjoyed the game thoroughly (think I have played through BG 30 + times now, hell I even kept the saves from when I started it up again a few years back!).
  • Silver6986Silver6986 Member Posts: 26
    @ Lemernis, I played BGTutu with SCS installed and completed the game rather well despite not installing an XP cap remover. mind you, I have had so many playthroughs with this game that despite the increased difficulty of SCS I feel I still had the advantage. I just feel that raising the level cap will jeopardise the difficulty of not only BGEE but BG2EE unless of course the devs are increasing the difficulty settings?
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,063
    @LiquidSilver11 Explain to me how a one or two hundred thousand XP are going to "jeopardise the difficulty" of BG2EE. The only thing that needs to be played in sequence is Chez Irenicus, which many players opt to skip already.
    The amount of XP that seems like sooo much in BG1 terms is really just a minor starting bonus in BG2.
    Or are you scared of the possibility of importing into ToB not with 3 500 000 XP but with 3 650 000 XP?
  • LolaLola Member Posts: 13
    I hope Sarevok will be stronger too, otherwise there will be no more challenge...