Skip to content

Killing Zhurlong or Pheirkas should lower your reputation

macu67macu67 Member Posts: 56
I was already posting about it in some other topic which was referring to SCS. Now I'm starting a separate one about unmodded BG:EE.
As I remember from my original BG game guide/instrustion book, reputation is not only the general opinion among people, but also something like karma, so It should drop when you kill someone innocent, even if you are not seen at that moment. In my opinion killing someone after you've just done quest for him has nothing in common with rpg rules. On the other hand I understand people who just want Zhurlong boots without the annoying, unfinished quest in journal.
Perhaps I have a solution that will satisfy everyone:

Zhurlong - I agree that there should be a rage option to kill him, but only when he steals from you not after doing his quest! My solution is simple. When the player speaks to him for the first time give him the two following options:
-I'll find your boots man (journal update)
-You stole from me DIE ARGH ARGH!!! (which will turn him hostile)
After you finish the quest he should give you the boots as a compensation for the gold he stole from you. Everybody happy.:)
It's the same situation as with Marl. You can kill him as a consequence of the dialogue without the rep loss, but if you do it later, you recieve some reputation hit. So it's doable. :P

Pheirkas - There is completely no explanation why she shouldn't provide rep loss when killed. I see no reason why Unshey is protected in this way and Pheirkas not. She's not stealing from us, threatening or offending us in any way.

Post edited by macu67 on

Comments

• PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I don't understand why you would not get a reputation loss after killing him in a blind rage "DIE ARGH ARGH!!!" but you would get a reputation loss by killing him after recovering his boots. Either way, the fact stands that he stole from you. And either way, there are others in the tavern that are witnessing the murder. You should receive a reputation loss at both times, or at neither.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Zhurlong runs around a lot, including running in and out of the back room. There are no witnesses in the back room, so you can lie in wait for him and kill him there.

However, bear in mind that he'll pick your pocket again, after you've completed his quest, if you speak to him again. I therefore see no roleplaying problem with killing him for picking my pocket, with no loss of REP, because Forgotten Realms characters usually attack whenever they notice their pockets being picked. It may seem harsh in terms of real-life morality, but it's definitely normal in FR morality.
  • macu67macu67 Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2014
    We all know that we're killing him for his boots, not for any other reason... And everybody are doing his quest just to get exp and then kill him after... I'm sure it's not working as intended. But ok, I won't fight with the majority of powergaming players, I'll just try not to kill him the next time :(. Just ask yourselves if you would do favors for someone who steal from you, just to kill him afterwards. I think you would kill him at that moment rather than listening about his boots. It still leaves the Pheirkas issue unresolved.

Zhurlong runs around a lot, including running in and out of the back room. There are no witnesses in the back room, so you can lie in wait for him and kill him there.

Yeah, and no one would notice the lying corpse in the room your team have just left -_-
    The case of Pheirkas illustrates that it's not purely a matter of power-gaming and wanting every powerful item. There's an element of that, of course, but there's also an issue of roleplaying credibility.

For Pheirkas, I actually agree that there's a reasonable argument that there ought to be a REP penalty if you murder him to recover the Cloak. I'm not definitely decided one way or the other, but I do find it a stronger argument than in Zhurlong's case.

I'd even say the same in one or two other cases where there's currently no penalty for murdering someone for good equipment, such as Fenten. (If you haven't tried this, he drops a unique axe.)

But in Zhurlong's case, no. I think the killing is quite justifiable in the context of the game-world, so there should remain no REP penalty.
    edited September 2014
    Ok I give up for Zhurlong, kill him if you want :) But I stand for every other innocent npc in the game, especially the item-related quest givers, who do not take any hostile action against you. We've got Pheirkas and Fenten, maybe someone will add another one?
    Gallowglass - I understand your point but for me killing someone AFTER doing his quest is just a "more exp omg" powergaming. :P
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I don't think it's fair to say that it is purely power-gaming motivated. It seems like a calculated, evil character's decision to "play nice" and retrieve the magical boots for a reward before exacting revenge. I think it fits into the role playing side of things quite well.
    Paladin said:

I don't think it's fair to say that it is purely power-gaming motivated. It seems like a calculated, evil character's decision to "play nice" and retrieve the magical boots for a reward before exacting revenge. I think it fits into the role playing side of things quite well.

Except he's being killed as often by good characters simply because of lack of punishment for this
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Also, Lord Binky the Buffoon at the Nashkel Carnival. I always get a rep loss if i kill him (her?) even though ive clearly done the town a favor...
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I honestly do not feel bad whacking a guy who steals money from me, then asks me to trudge and murder some hobgoblins to get his blasted, smelly boots back. He is probably a level 1 thief, so it will only cost 100gp to get his ass resurrected again afterwards... He deserves to die.
    macu67 said:

... for me killing someone AFTER doing his quest is just a "more exp omg" powergaming. :P

I don't see this at all. If completing his quest caused Zhurlong to stop robbing you, then yes, I could see why having done his quest would be relevant. But what actually happens is that he robs you again AFTER doing his quest, so the consequences are his own fault.
    edited September 2014
    I actually gave up with Zhurlong a few posts ago, you've made your point. I'm fighting for Pheirkas and other NPC's rights now.:) I agree that Zhurlong is actually taking a hostile action against the player which, in terms of the game mechanics, somehow justify killing him. But what about no reputation drop for killing the other npc's which don't take any hostile action against you?
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Reputation cannot be "karma" - ortherwise it would be called karma.

Reputation is that which it is - how others see the group.

If there are no witnesses to said act, it should not affect reputation either positively or negatively.

Such acts should change alignment (as is meant to).

Killing innocents is an evil act. Even if it is not witnessed, it is still an evil act and should change alignment accordingly.

And in a world where magic abounds, someone disappearing can be explained in any number of ways - if there are no witnesses, it is going to be difficult to accuse someone circumstantially.

So, say, a certain NPC ducks into an otherwise deserted area and is discovered later dead - could have been a number of different things! An invisible stalker, some magical trap, some sort of monster that can either go ethereal (or astral travel) or can camouflage (disguise) itself...etc.
    I agree but, for now, for eg. Dynaheir or Ajantis (as lawful good) see nothing wrong (no rep change, no opinion of you change) in killing Pheirkas or Fenten and as members of your team, they are fully aware of your actions.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Or you know you could like get the boots from those hobgoblins and not talked to that loser.
    @WebShaman - the "no witnesses" argument is about how you think REP "ought" to work (and I agree that you have a case), but that's not the REP system which actually exists in the game, which often does seem to work more like "karma" than reputation.

@macu67 - Ajantis (like other Paladins) doesn't need much provocation to attack anyone Evil, even if they're not actively hostile at the time, because "smiting Evil" is a Paladin's job. If Pheirkas or Fenten detect as Evil (I haven't checked), then it's quite credible for Ajantis to reach for his sword. Certainly Ajantis is Lawful, but in the Forgotten Realms there seems to be no law against killing Evil adversaries ... and anyway, "Lawful" in the alignment system seems to be more about "being in favour of order" than about "following specific local laws" - it's the opposing principle to Chaos, not the opposing principle to Crime, which is not the same thing. Concerning Dynaheir, I don't find her such a well-defined character, I'm not sure where she'd stand.
    edited September 2014
    I just would like too see some balance here... I kill some random person in Beregost, on the same terms as Pheirkas or Fenten. Nobody sees me, nobody else is in the house etc. Result? Reputation loss ofc, because it was just some commoner. When I'm doing exactly the same thing with Pheirkas - no reputation drop. I see no logic here.
    Another one: I kill some peasant in the wilds (for eg. Hulrik from the xvart/cow quest) - rep loss. I kill Sahedra (Ogre Quest) - no rep loss.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490

@WebShaman - the "no witnesses" argument is about how you think REP "ought" to work (and I agree that you have a case), but that's not the REP system which actually exists in the game, which often does seem to work more like "karma" than reputation.

It is not how I think it should work, it is how it would work if it were not for programming limitations (lack of zots). The game works with factions, and Commoners is one of them. And if you kill a Commoner (faction commoner get last killer - adjust Rep by neg. whatever) well, then the programming kicks in.

If there was an alignment system ala NWN combined with a Rep system, well, it might then work a bit better IMHO. Then we would see party members being affected by things that instead affect only Rep (though killing a Commoner is pretty close to killing an innocent, but if it is unwitnessed, well...it shouldn't really hit Rep, should it?).

Certainly Ajantis is Lawful, but in the Forgotten Realms there seems to be no law against killing Evil adversaries

In the FR, there are various laws in various regions against killing innocents, regardless of how they "detect". Law and Order are still a big part of many "civilized" regions of the FR - as is Crime and Punishment.

The real question is, if a Paladin detects someone as evil, then she knows that that person/monster/thing has commited evil acts (because one does not simply become evil, one has to actually do evil to be evil), so is a Paladin justified in attacking? I believe so, at least in the case of attack vs alignment adjustment here.

This IMHO would be a case of Alignment not taking a hit, but Rep would. Also, I am pretty sure that without sufficient evidence of said victim's guilt, the Paladin is going to have a hard time proving her case before the Law.

Btw - detect evil and know alignment and detect lie are not reliable methods in which to base a method of Law and Order on. The reason being is that they can be simulated. Thus, it would be relatively easy for the rich and powerful to frame one another (rivals, etc) and there would be an almost immediate retaliation of the same...resulting in chaos.

Most regions would quickly ban such methods due to the above.

Of course, a Paladin would not have such problems (a case of the individual vs society IMHO). A Paladin cannot "trick" the Alignment system - it is just not possible.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.