Skip to content

Mindflayer quest part help.(?)

So, I get the quest from Solaufein to go rescue the captive from the Mindflayers/Umber Hulks, only when I did it I killed everyone and now the entire city hates me. What did I do wrong/how can I fix it?

Comments

• MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    If you mean you've killed Phaere instead of rescueing her, you've failed. If you've also killed Solaufein in the same battle, double-bad. Reload an earlier save game and try again? ;-)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    You don't actually need to complete anything in Ust Natha, nor indeed to enter the city at all. You could just carry on and fight your way out of the Underdark.

However, without Ust Natha you'd be missing out on a lot of story, a lot of experience, a lot of great equipment. I wouldn't recommend that.

So yes, @TheGreatGodLoki‌, I reckon it's time to reload from an earlier save. Almost regardless of how much you then have to replay to get back to where you were ... if it's a lot, then let that be an illustration of what the "Save" function is for! :-)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    maybe if he is lucky, the autosave might bring him back before all the madness
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    That battle is actually really easy. All you have to do is cast Death Spell and you win.
  • TheGreatGodLokiTheGreatGodLoki Member Posts: 93
    Well, I already saved it and my game has a habit of putting the newly saved files above the old ones so I end up saving over them by mistake. Looks like I have to restart the game. FML. Is there a way to create the NPC? Or do I actually have to go back all the way?
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    You've missed several quests but you don't have to restart.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Upload the save? :)
    You would have to mess with local variables to get a second chance at this. If you upload your save someone (me maybe) could probably fix it for you.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    To admit a secret. I just collect peoples saves. . . *Sits in the corner rocking back and forth*
    Well, this is my first time playing BG2, I won the first one a few months ago and I went though it all just from main quest, then I did everything I could the second time though. Same idea with this one. Just to get a feel for it and not get overwelmed.

So how do I upload my save Tresset?
    What you do is find your save folder which should look something like "00000123-your save name" and you zip the entire folder and upload the zipped folder to the forums with a post by selecting "attach a file".
    Hopefully this worked.
    Ok. Here is your save; edited so that you are hopefully able to continue the drow city quests where you left off. Speak to Solaufein and he should summon the illithid and Phaere again (same place as before). Keep a backup of your original save just in case I managed to screw something up (which is somewhat likely, as there are a ton of variables at play and it is easy to miss a few). You may notice some oddities with the journal or whatever, but I don't think you should encounter any major issues. If you do have any problems then let me know and I will see if I can fix them. Enjoy.
    edited September 2014
    How do I NOT kill Phaere this time around? Because I'm not sure how I did it before.

EDIT: Just did a brief go at it, got killed because I wasn't pay attention and what not, but it seemed all in order. Thank you so much. I owe you one.

How do I NOT kill Phaere this time around? Because I'm not sure how I did it before.

You may not have killed her but if either she or Solaufein dies in the fight (even if the illithids kill them) then your mission is considered a failure and the city goes hostile.

Like I said before, the best way to win this fight is to cast Death Spell because it will instantly kill all the enemies and leave Phaere and Solaufein untouched. If you don't have Death Spell then you will have to resort to the usual other options like thief traps and summons and whatnot.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    Edit nevermind
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I'm having this same problem in my game, but Phaere never even appears at all. I assumed that I must be doing something wrong and fought the illithids several times but only they died each time and Phaere never appeared. At first I thought that the illithids were somehow dominating/dire charming Solaufein (before I noticed that he said Phaere was dead) so I tried to keep him out of harm's way by surrounding him with my party so that the illithids couldn't get near him, but that didn't change anything either.

After several attempts in which I legitimately killed all the illithids, Phaere did not appear, and Solaufein turned hostile, I used the ctrl y cheat to kill all the illithids the instant that they appeared so that it wouldn't actually be possible for them to kill anyone. This did not work either as Solaufein still said that Phaere was dead and then attacked me.

What am I doing wrong? How do I fix this? Thanks!
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Strange one, @ARKdeEREH ... I wonder if this is what happens if you've taken too long after receiving the quest before reporting to Solaufein in the field?

Perhaps a solution would be, after the Illithids appear but before you kill them all, to use a console command to force-summon Phaere. I haven't tested this idea, but I'd expect it to work.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I figured it out. The illithids were spawning in two different parts of the map for some reason. While I was fighting one group of them the other group was killing Phaere. I haven't seen this happen before, so maybe it's the result of one of the mods that I installed recently.