Skip to content

20th level Monk in BGEE1

When I try to level up my monk to 20th level, it says I can choose an ability, however there is nothing there. Is there a fix for this?

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Not an issue, what you have to choose are the HLAs from ToB, but they aren't in the game, so you can't do so, anyway... It is not intended for you to reach level 20 as a Monk, so this isn't an issue from the game. Anyway it would be cool if they HLAs are included in the game by default (even if you aren't going to reach them).
  • jamesward1966jamesward1966 Member Posts: 5
    well, it doesn't make sense. why have a monk available in bgee1 when clearly it doesn't belong? i'll complain to beamdog.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited September 2014
    The monk is supposed to be there, but the experience cap in BG:EE is 161,000, which is nowhere near enough to get a monk to level 20; if you're modding the game to remove that cap, you're responsible for making sure that modification doesn't break anything.
    they shouldn't allow the character then
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

they shouldn't allow the character then

I'm not sure what you're referring to. No characters have access to high-level abilities by the end of BG:EE, not just monks; you'll get them in BGII:EE.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2014
    Moved to Not an Issue.

@jamesward1966‌ You have used a XP Cap remover and went beyond BGEE level cap. This is not a bug, your character just is not expected to reach such a high level in the first game.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Well, 20th level monk in BGEE is like Mike Tyson on steroids in halfling's kindergarden...
    Yes, I've played BG2. My point is, the monk character shouldn't be there. Why? Up to level 20, you get ALL the kit abilities. Okay, so why not the 20th level ones? I can't even level up to 20 because of this "oversight". IMHO, the monk character is to "advanced" for this game. However, it works perfectly for BG2. I will attempt to make a mod for this. I really don't have the time of patience though....
    @ Southpaw, yes, I want my monk to completely decimate the entire Sword Coast....Lawful Evil.....
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2014
    @jamesward1966‌ as explained previously, level 20 is above the level cap for the first Baldur's Gate game. It's not an oversight or bug. All classes are limited by the 161000 XP cap, not only monks

If you wish to play above level 7/9 you may use the level 40 rules mod linked below:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10900/xp-mod-teambgs-level-40-rule-sethigh-level-abilities/p1
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    Thank you, you just saved me a lot of time. :)