Skip to content

[not an issue] Another Major Bug - Cannot Save/Rest Chpt 2.

WhatThePhuckWasThatWhatThePhuckWasThat Member Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster here

So i've got the original BGII SoA copy that I bought wayyyy back when the game was first released. Always played a bunch of hours in and then lost my resolve to finish it. Now this past year I've been back at it with a new mission to get through BG2 and sink some serious time into it.

I've been having a great time, though experiencing the occasional annoyance of bugs like Jaheira's constant looping of whining about not liking staying indoors or something like that...ughhhh.

Anyway, this one is way more serious I'm afraid and it has been one I have been dealing with for months... basically, I'm in chapter 2 right now and played the unseeing eye mission and obtained that super rod of justice (can't remember the name sorry) from the village of the damned. Everything seems just fine except when I go back to the temple district to collect my prize, I can no longer sleep nor save AT ALL. If I attempt to do either, it will give me the prompt "YOu cannot save at this time", no matter where I go or what I do. So basically, I cannot proceed further into this game at all since those two functions tend to be kind of important to the game. I have no idea what to do but it doesn't seem like anyone here has raised this issue before from the searches that I have done.

Please hold me and tell me everything is alright... and if possible, does anyone have similar issues/solutions they may be able to share?
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Are any of your characters protected by Spirit Armor? If a character fails their save at the initial casting of Spirit Armor then it will prevent rest and saving until the spell expires. This is a known issue that should be fixed in the next patch. Note that Berserker Rage and Minsc Berserk will also prevent resting or saving until they expire.
    WhatThePhuckWasThat
  • No I don't think that is the issue I'm having. For instance, I'm currently in the government district, I recently just moved there from the docks, and I have no problem quick saving. Then I try to move over to the temple district, get waylaid (nothing gets casted on me thats really an issue) and once I'm in the temple district, I can't save or sleep anywhere, I've tried to wait it out, or go to different areas in Athlatka but nothing works. I literally cannot save or sleep anymore... so basically I can't get any further into the game.
    Really sucks... doesn't seem like others have had this issue.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Ahh, I know what is going on then. It is most likely that there are some NPCs that are trying to leave the area still from after Gaal's speech. They tend to take their dear sweet time to actually leave the area and will only leave via certain specific exits. Toss in the usual crappy AI and they will start bouncing into each other too. On top of that it seems that in the EE, NPCs will only move at half speed when they are not within the party's line of sight so they take even longer than they used to. Add it all up and it takes quite a while for them to clear the area. For as long as they are still in the area and are trying to leave the area they will prevent saving and resting.
    rufus_hobartWhatThePhuckWasThatCrevsDaak
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @WhatThePhuckWasThat‌:

Let me both agree with Tresset and expand a bit on what's going on:

NPC's that initiate any scripted action (whether it's to attempt to catch the party to tell them something or give them a quest, such as happens in several of the BG2 Districts, or interact with each other in some kind of "cutscene like" method) will cause the game to go into the equivalent of "combat mode". Anything you could not normally do during a combat you won't be able to do till the script resolves itself.

At one point I was running through a BG2 zone during testing and triggered an NPC attempting to move to me to initiate dialog. His pathing was crap and I was long on my way past him. I got about 3/4 of the way through the zone past him and tried to save/rest prior to entering where I was going...

No go. It wasn't till I started to walk around the zone trying to figure out what I was doing wrong that I got approached from an odd direction, the conversation initiated, and I was able to save/rest again.

I believe you have 2 options here:

1) Reload a save while you were back in the crypt getting the Rod and then come back into the Temple district. I believe @Tresset is right in that it's the Gaal speech Cutscene/Event that's got the game locked up. That said there are several places in the temple district (Dorn, Gaal, and a few other NPC's) that will start events of this nature. You kinda have to be careful on your first run through to trigger everything.

2) Walk around the Temple District and see if you can find any specific things that look odd or NPC's that are looking for you. You might be able to end the "lock" if you trigger whatever it is that's still going.
    WhatThePhuckWasThat
  • Well I have good news though it might have been the result of a bit of luck. I think you guys were right about some kind of NPC unfinished scripting but I have no idea why it was initiating before but not now...

Basically, I loaded that last save I had just prior to moving into the temple district (I was in government district) and was predictably waylaid by a party prior to my arrival to the temple. Instead of fighting them, I simply walked off the map and continued on my way to the temple district. I had noticed that I was not able to save immediately after I had killed the party who jumped mine, so I thought to give it a try after reading what you guys were saying. I have no idea why it would initiate an 'infinite script' in that area but alas it did.

So thanks to you both, I think your advice pointed the right direction. My only concern now is that I am running with a 'corrupt save' that I've been reading about on this forum since I've been having weird little issues here and there throughout my game.

Anyhow, for now, I can continue on my merry way

Thanks!~
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @WhatThePhuckWasThat‌:

I'll tag the thread as "Solved", but I'd like to know more about what you said above.

So you were in the Government District, where you could save. You moved from there to the Temple District (I assume this was the first time you were moving between the two districts in Chpt 2?) and got Waylayed by a group (can you tell me what group or encounter it was?)

And here's where I'm starting to not understand you: You say "Instead of fighting them, I simply walked off the map and continued..."

Do you mean that in the broken save you did this, or after re-loading to try to fix it instead of fighting (which you thought would trigger the same situation) you avoided the fight and it didn't trigger this time?

It SOUNDS like what you're talking about is that when you moved from Govt. -> Temple you got waylayed. The first time you fought and killed them and upon entering temple you couldn't save. And this time instead of fighting, you simply left the map and now you can save.

If the above is correct and you can identify what fight it was you skipped, the only other question I have is (in the broken game where you couldn't save) whether or not you tried saving exactly after entering Temple district or if you walked down the street a bit before trying it? (i.e. did you trigger the guy preaching about the cult of the eye event)?
  • YamunilmagoYamunilmago Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone! I have a similar problem problem with the Unseeing quest, in sense that when I take the half rod and then I go up back to Sassar, I find a dark path (like I would never pass before, there are also some traps I have removed before), and Sassar seems not to recognize me because the first dialogue with him stars. After the dialogue finishes, he automatically recognise me ("You got it!" or similar). The problem is that I want to go killing the Unseeing, but the door near Sassar is again closed (the door opened after my dialogue with the priest of the Unseeing who gave me a key), but now I have no key. When I try to open, it says "there's a magical lock etc". I searched in my bag, and I've found that other things disappered, like the seeds to give to the Queen of the Driads in Windspear). This problem is only in the enhanced version. It's obvious there's a BIG bug. Any clues, helps???? PS: all my savings are after the quest started :(
    Schattenlampe