Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

I'm not convinced

ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
I'm not convinced that IWD:EE is what I was looking for. As far as I can tell from it is just IWD in the BG:EE engine with all the same class options attached?
The original didn't seem to have many bugs or unfinished content to explore, and any feature I would like to see in it are also ones I would like to see in all the IE games, but have yet to materialise.

Is there a more comprehensive list of confirmed features than the one on the announcement website for those of us who are more hesitant about this?
I tried checking the intro thread and there do seem to be some mentions of relevent information but the information seems to be scattered all over the place at the moment

«1

Comments

  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Better resolution, or rather resolution that is actually playable (because IMO the old infinity games on today's monitors look HORRIBLE), is a good enough reason for me to purchase the EE edition.

    CrevsDaakSixheadeddogCutlassJackAristillius
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,859
    meagloth said:

    No offense but
    image

    This is madness!

    JuliusBorisovRAM021
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited September 2014
    ajwz said:

    if you allow preorders then you have to put the game up for judgement before it gets released

    ?

    Sixheadeddog
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,481
    edited September 2014
    I have both BG:EE and BG2:EE functioning as cross platform multiplayer games (mac - PC), though not the Black pits 2 still, unfortunately ;(

    This really, is all I want out of IWD, as the tactical play style should be pretty fun to play cooperatively! I'd be happy if it was exactly the same as the original IWD game in content, so the alterations will be a novelty.

    I suppose this is a niche desire but on a personal note, it completely justifies my pre-order to me (optimistically.. please work!).

    Sixheadeddog
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Elendar said:

    Better resolution, or rather resolution that is actually playable (because IMO the old infinity games on today's monitors look HORRIBLE), is a good enough reason for me to purchase the EE edition.

    What?! Have you ever played IWD1 with the widescreen mod? It looks gorgeous! Of course, the originally provided resolutions don't amount to much in this day and age, but I guess practically no one's been using them for years anyway.

    I do have to add that I did a playthrough of unmodded BG1 about one and a half years ago. 640x480 on a 1366x768 laptop. It was okay. I got used to it. The Infinity Engine has aged really well, but I guess you're right in that it stops to hold up when you use 1080p and up screens.

  • FryFry Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2014
    Yeah... there's been a widescreen mod available for the IE games for years.

    What the EE versions offer, to me, is general UI improvements and cross-platform play. I'm glad Beamdog has combined the IWD OS X and Windows versions into one purchase. Splitting them up was always a bit chintzy.

    Edit: typo

    Post edited by Fry on
    CrevsDaakThe_New_RomanceMoomintrolljackjack
  • DauntDaunt Member Posts: 52
    Yeah I'm playing thru IWD with the widescreen mod (+ more) atm too. It holds up! (although character sprites still have jaggies, but it's ok)

    I'm not sure all of what Beamdog will be able to add to IWD: EE to make it really awesome, but either way, it's cool to see some more attention/love be lavished on these old Infinity Engine games all the same

    JuliusBorisov
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Daunt said:

    Yeah I'm playing thru IWD with the widescreen mod (+ more) atm too. It holds up! (although character sprites still have jaggies, but it's ok)

    I'm not sure all of what Beamdog will be able to add to IWD: EE to make it really awesome, but either way, it's cool to see some more attention/love be lavished on these old Infinity Engine games all the same

    I can appreciate buying it on platforms other than PC is really nice, but for PC users such as myself I agree with you that I'm not entirely sure what the devs will actually be able to do to it to significantly improve the experience.

    Daunt
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I admit I am a bit surprised by the lack of additional features. BG:EE and BG2:EE both came with new NPCs and their accompanying quests and The Black Pits. From what I have seen, there isn't anything comparable to those features in IWD:EE. I am hoping to see some new pieces of content that will prove this incorrect!

    RAM021
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,162
    I already pre-ordered the game, and can't wait to play it, but I agree that I want MORE quests and stuff. I'm happy with the added kits, graphics enhancements, items and unfinished business stuff, but the new content is what really differentiates it from the original Icewind Dale. I'm hoping that the game will be updated with extra stuff as time passes.

    JairyannaNimranRAM021
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    ajwz said:

    Daunt said:

    Yeah I'm playing thru IWD with the widescreen mod (+ more) atm too. It holds up! (although character sprites still have jaggies, but it's ok)

    I'm not sure all of what Beamdog will be able to add to IWD: EE to make it really awesome, but either way, it's cool to see some more attention/love be lavished on these old Infinity Engine games all the same

    I can appreciate buying it on platforms other than PC is really nice, but for PC users such as myself I agree with you that I'm not entirely sure what the devs will actually be able to do to it to significantly improve the experience.
    Cross platform MP might be fun.

    aqzinaJuliusBorisovCrevsDaakRAM021
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I have to admit I've not tested out the MP after beta/early release, where it was poor, but I heard the stability has improved. Are there still world map problems?

    jackjack
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    edited September 2014

    Elendar said:

    Better resolution, or rather resolution that is actually playable (because IMO the old infinity games on today's monitors look HORRIBLE), is a good enough reason for me to purchase the EE edition.

    What?! Have you ever played IWD1 with the widescreen mod? It looks gorgeous! Of course, the originally provided resolutions don't amount to much in this day and age, but I guess practically no one's been using them for years anyway.

    I do have to add that I did a playthrough of unmodded BG1 about one and a half years ago. 640x480 on a 1366x768 laptop. It was okay. I got used to it. The Infinity Engine has aged really well, but I guess you're right in that it stops to hold up when you use 1080p and up screens.
    I have not played with the widescreen mod for IWD specifically, but I did try it for Baldur's Gate. And I absolutely HATED it. The enhanced edition looks 300 X better to me, and I doubt the widescreen mod for IWD does any better than the one for BG. I actually own the GoG version of Icewind Dale and simply can't stand to play it after seeing BG:EE and BG2:EE ( the second one of which I have yet to complete since I have chronic restart syndrome and just HAVE to start my character at level 1 in Candlekeep ).

    cmk24AristilliusRAM021
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I agree that the EE wide screen is far superioir to the mod, but since I'm not as attached to IWD as I am to BG, I will probably only play through IWD once or twice, which makes the investment seem more relevent

    Jairyanna
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    ajwz said:

    I agree that the EE wide screen is far superioir to the mod, but since I'm not as attached to IWD as I am to BG, I will probably only play through IWD once or twice, which makes the investment seem more relevent

    Ah. Well, for me, its worth the 20 bucks, even if I only end up playing it once.

    Because I simply wont play the GoG version and would like to actually play through the game, as I haven't since I was about 14... And basically remember nothing about it.

    JuliusBorisovRAM021
Sign In or Register to comment.