Skip to content

Greetings

I am Edwin Odesseiron. You simians may merely refer to me as "sir" if you prefer a less... syllable-intensive workout.

Now that the pointless pleasantries are out of the way (as I'm sure my scintillating reputation precedes me), I can explain exactly why you are blessed enough to be reading my words this very moment. I am obviously not a new user, but I felt a re-introduction was necessary in order to recollect my thoughts and assert my presence here (not that you revolting pigs will understand nor comprehend the immensity of my musings, but I'll indulge thee regardless.)

My time on these boards has been... unpleasant , mostly. And if you think it is because of my frequent, unfair, and prolonged bannings, think again. (It takes more than a banning to stop one such as I.)

Though I am the one who was banned for my treatment of others, I can assure you it is I who has suffered the most (as I am the one who has had to deal with the endless amount of incompetent slugs thrown my way from every direction.)

When you look at it: What could be a greater punishment than that?

Truly, I am a man of heroic proportions to endure what I have and make a glorious return, as only I know how.

Some of you have inboxed me. Other have openly stated that they wish a return. Others still mention me only in passing. (All of you have my thanks, for most of you wished a return for reasons other than the entertainment value I occasionally and accidentally provide.)

I haven't kept up with what is going on with these boards. I know not who is still around (a few of the older users will remember me, no doubt, for good or ill), and I am quite sure the moderators will remember me quite well. I certainly hope any and all new users are of a smarter calibre than those who history will shudder from whenever their unpleasant memory rears its hideous visage.

But hopes are empty, so I can imagine that this forum is awash with the teeming denizens of the abyss. Simpletons who think their worthless opinions matter one iota. My truthful message of purity is an ingredient undoubtedly lacking from these boards, and I shall bathe everyone in my light (yes, you should all be so lucky.)

That should be enough, for now. I am sure that even this was too much for most to grasp and comprehend with the limited faculties available to them, but perhaps it wasn't a wasted effort. We shall see.

Now run along, and thank whatever gods you hold dear that day you've been praying for has finally come.

Comments

• DeadParrotDeadParrot Member Posts: 9
    I am dumber for reading this.

DP
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @DeadParrot‌ ?... This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

But we have mummified you...

You can perch on my shoulder if you like?

@Edwin_Odesseiron‌ would most likely use you as a spell ingredient. Although I think his time spent as a lady has transgendered him to be more careful with his words...
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Welcome back, simian, er, I mean, Sir.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @Anduin‌ this @DeadParrot‌ is the perfect familiar for you...
    Maybe I could charm him with a dead cracker...

*Anduin takes a cracker and butters it to death in stilton... the smell of bacterial decay is truly shocking*
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Excellent! Welcome back, I for one am certainly pleased. Always happy to see old hands return, even if we don't know how active you'll become.
    :)

I am dumber for reading this.

Impossible. You can't read, nor could you get any dumber.
    Cuv said:

I remember killing you :P You may tag along so long as you remember that I am the leader of this group. Your skills can be useful (and amusing).

Death is a mere inconvenience for one such as I.
    Head out of your parent's basement, absorb some vitamin D, and tan your pale, sun-deprived epidermis. That is all, troll, for I wish not to enter a war of words with a fool, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

DP.
    Of course, Edwin, I jest. We don't want tears on keyboards. I look forward to your role-playing as Edwin here on the forums.

DP
  • Edwin_OdesseironEdwin_Odesseiron Member Posts: 226

Always has to be one moron to spoil it. Do me a favour and never address me again. Your words would only serve to pollute any thread they are on, and I have no desire to interact with them and earn myself another undeserved banning. I can already tell your level of "tool" is of astronomical proportions. You don't wish to enter a war of words, you say? That is excellent, for it is precisely because of people like you I left this forum in the first place. Move along.
    CaloNord said:

Excellent! Welcome back, I for one am certainly pleased. Always happy to see old hands return, even if we don't know how active you'll become.
    :)

Thank you for the kind words, my friend. I see your politics thread is still active.. Quite the achievement.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Interestingly, the above post was not the one that resulted in a ban. Although had I seen it first, it would have been.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I recieved a message from @DeadParrot‌ on the concerns of trolls within the forum.

I said we had the most active moderators on the planet to keep us safe. Good to see my words are not hollow!

Thank you for keeping us safe @Dee !

Now... About this Werebear with a sharpened stake that has wandered onto my wall...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    edited September 2014
    Dee said:

Staying in character is never an excuse or an acquittal for breaking the site rules, especially the ones that are designed to keep the community a positive environment for its members. If someone came on the forums dressed as Saemon Havarian and started posting about pirated copies of BG, that user would also be banned.

This is a legitimate question - why? What rule was broken by that post? Is it some part that was edited out, or merely that he used florid language to ask that someone not interact with him?
    It's the disrespect and malevolent tone used; you can say "I don't want to talk to you anymore" without insulting the person you're talking to. Come to that, you can say "I disagree" or even "You're wrong" without making it into a personal attack.

Edwin_Odesseiron used the character of Edwin as a carte blanche to attack people on a personal level, and he knew he was breaking the rules when he did it.
    edited September 2014
    Dee said:

It's the disrespect and malevolent tone used; you can say "I don't want to talk to you anymore" without insulting the person you're talking to. Come to that, you can say "I disagree" or even "You're wrong" without making it into a personal attack.

Edwin_Odesseiron used the character of Edwin as a carte blanche to attack people on a personal level, and he knew he was breaking the rules when he did it.

So, this is a touchy subject; Beamdog is obviously a buisness who has it in its best interest to promote a friendly and welcoming forum environment, additionally the moderators are not required to 'answer for' or necessarily 'justify' their choices. As a result, 'because I said so', or some variant is a not-unexpected response. I am writing this not with the intention of attempting to change actions that have already happened, or even to provoke a course of action - merely to ask questions which might prompt evaluation in the future.

I understand that @Edwin_Odesseiron‌ was banned as a result of accumulation of warnings, but... were all the people who participated in the two-way 'personal attacks' around this individual also warned? I see at least three instances of personal attacks directed at him *before* he wrote anything resembling one in reply. The only plausible 'fair' explanation I can imagine for them not receiving any such warning is because they were 'participating' in the roleplaying banter (and doing it rather poorly, but who are we to disclaim art on the basis of mere quality?) - but if that is the case, why was Edwin punished? 'Self-defense' is out of the question, as Edwin clearly did not 'start it' in this thread.

The only plausible explanation that fits the facts as I see them is an asymmetric application of moderation. Edwin's actions were judged more harshly than others, he was held to a different standard. Perhaps moderative action was taken as a result of his cumulative community presence - that it was judged to be unfavorable - this would be understandable, but as I look through the threads which Edwin has participated in, I see someone who is being 'bullied' or 'trolled' to a greater extent than he ever 'dished out'. This is more reminiscent of 'we've already decided that we don't want you here, now we are looking for a pretense to ban you' than it is of any 'legitimate' reaction to posted content.

@enneract‌ To answer your question, yes, the incident that resulted in the ban also resulted in a warning for the other person involved. The severity was different because of Edwin_Odesseiron's past behavior.
    Ah, my apologies then. I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that the 'warnings' section of a user's profile was visible to all.
    I had previously thought that it was as well, but apparently not.