Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

BGEE Leveled Spawns Mod - v0.3 [UPDATED 2014-12-27]

2»

Comments

• blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Hey, I assume you dropped the work on the mod.

If that's the case, maybe I can figure things out myself. I usually play solo so I find the EE spawns really disappointing - you'll never see a Winter Wolf for example, and the Gnoll Stronghold being defended by a total of 15 Gnolls is... yeah.

Basically, there are two main problems with the mod now: one, enemies sometimes spawn just as you close in on the spawn point. I assume simply increasing the spawn range from 60 to 90 would do the job.

Two, the new formula seems a bit TOO aggressive? I managed to run into a Vampire Wolf in area SS from Beregost. My average level couldn't have been higher than 2-3... it's not like it's impossible, in fact I love the XP and drops(scrolls) but it kind of, well, immersion-breaking. I have no idea how the level scaling actually works, but I assume it's just some kind of table, so stretching it by 100% would make for a nice middle ground.

Anyway, I understand you can't be bothered with the mod anymore, so I wondered if there's maybe a way for me to make these adjustments myself, if you could only tell me where in the files I can find the variables.

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,362
    @blackchimes - There's no table. It's just a pile of scripts. You can modify the scripts to increase the level limits or change out the creatures spawned. If you're good with regexps, you can probably write an awk script to automate the process.

• solar_onesolar_one Member Posts: 12

Hey, I assume you dropped the work on the mod.

If that's the case, maybe I can figure things out myself. I usually play solo so I find the EE spawns really disappointing - you'll never see a Winter Wolf for example, and the Gnoll Stronghold being defended by a total of 15 Gnolls is... yeah.

Basically, there are two main problems with the mod now: one, enemies sometimes spawn just as you close in on the spawn point. I assume simply increasing the spawn range from 60 to 90 would do the job.

Two, the new formula seems a bit TOO aggressive? I managed to run into a Vampire Wolf in area SS from Beregost. My average level couldn't have been higher than 2-3... it's not like it's impossible, in fact I love the XP and drops(scrolls) but it kind of, well, immersion-breaking. I have no idea how the level scaling actually works, but I assume it's just some kind of table, so stretching it by 100% would make for a nice middle ground.

Anyway, I understand you can't be bothered with the mod anymore, so I wondered if there's maybe a way for me to make these adjustments myself, if you could only tell me where in the files I can find the variables.

Always on the hunt for a good spawn mod [thanks AstroBryGuy]. However, this mod needs DVs added to creatures or the Range(O:Object*,I:Range*) triggers in the scripts are ignored. With permission, I can attach a zip with a fix. Also, you can change ALL 384 scripts spawn ranges with Notepadd++ (using WeiDU Highlighter for Notepad++) in one shot with find and replace - powerful tool to edit .BAF files :) I changed the range from 60 to 75 by replacing ,60) with ,75). Not going to buy SoD, so this mod is good for me.

Example of edit needed in TP2:

COPY_EXISTING ~ANKHEG.CRE~ ~override~ // Assign death variable
    WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~ANKHEG~ #32
    BUT_ONLY

Always run Near Infinity Tools --> Check --> Scripts after installs to catch errors...how I found.

With permission from AstroBryGuy...I can attach a updated fix zip [missing DVs in order for Range to work in the scripts] and increased the trigger distance from 60 to 75 [using Notepad++ with WeiDU Highlighter to do all at once via find/replace]. I assume this mod is still a go for those that don't have SoD like me :blush:

TP2 needs many of these for Range(O:Object*,I:Range*):

COPY_EXISTING ~ANKHEG.CRE~ ~override~ // Assign death variable
    WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~ANKHEG~ #32
    BUT_ONLY

If you have some improvements, please post them, or submit a pull request to the repository via GitHub.

• Garvin77Garvin77 Member Posts: 52
    I just want to say that this is one of my favourite mods (of the mods I have tried, it is my favourite; however, I'm getting a new computer soon, and I plan to check out more mods with that); I don't like facing hordes of tough enemies just because I have a full party, and this mod alleviates that problem (for the most part, at least). Honestly, I'm not sure what else could be added, but I still hope that someone else picks up this project. Thank you @AstroBryGuy for making this truly necessary mod!

• Garvin77Garvin77 Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2017
    It's too bad no-one is working on this mod anymore; I think it might be incompatible with the 2.5 patch. I was playing the v2.5 beta with both this mod and the Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options mod and was experiencing frequent crashes (I think the last one may have permanently slowed down my computer); without those two mods, no crashes. I really hope someone is able to either verify or corroborate my story . . .

EDIT: Mods don't seem to be the problem anymore, as I just had a crash last night with no mods installed. I filed a Redmine ticket thinking that it might be some weird, new compatibility issue with Intel HD Graphics cards and/or drivers. Still, I wish that either someone else would take up this project, or that I had the knowledge to be able to. ;)

Post edited by Garvin77 on
    Better late than never o:) Here is an updated version of this mod as v0.5. Added 90 death variables to TP2, extended range from 60 to 75 in scripts, and updated EXE to WeiDU v246.

Note that I discovered that the vertex is backwards for Top/Bottom. DLTCEP reports Regions >> Bounding box >> Recalculate flips the numbers around so that the small number is Top and large number is Bottom. Not sure how this impacts the trigger, but maybe it needs fixing down the road...?

Sssiksseilor
  • dorifdorif Member Posts: 16
    Thank you for this mod but it would be nice to have really chalenging spawns, like the BGSpawn for BGT . (http://www.shsforums.net/topic/39639-release-bgspawn-version-111/)

edited September 20
    Quick note...since this mod deactivates all area spawn points, there are two NPC areas that don't have scripts for spawn triggers: OH2000.ARE and OH3000.ARE. You'll need to turn the spawn points back on after install by going into Near Infinity and answering Yes (1) to "Is active?" for each. OH2000 has Spawn points 0-7 and OH3000 has 0-2 that will need edited [back] post install.

Yes, tw'od be nice to beef up the scripts and creatures like bgspawn mod, but that is a lot of tiny work! Best to use SCS [can always do a "wimp" install that will still update monster scripts] and maybe edit some of the creatures with Near Infinity to be more challenging. Example: many bandits are level ONE! Maybe bump them to level two B)

dorif said:

Thank you for this mod but it would be nice to have really chalenging spawns, like the BGSpawn for BGT . (http://www.shsforums.net/topic/39639-release-bgspawn-version-111/)

I'm not continuing work on this mod. I don't have time or interest in it anymore. If someone wants to take it over, they are welcome to it.

ok AstroBryGuy. Maybe I will do something when I have time but I no 0 about modding O_o.

The problem with SCS is that it only makes some specifics fights harder. . So 85% of the game remain a walk in the park even with SCS. ( especially in BG1)

maybe we could copy scripts from BGSpawn for BGT and paste it to BGEE leveled spawns mod scripts.

We should make it with EET in mind because it would allow to use BG2 creatures.

2»