Skip to content

Need help while waiting for BG2:EE Patch

So I finally did a full play-through of BG:EE then started a game in BG2:EE and loved it for the couple of hours I put in but I kinda have a feeling BG2:EE will be patched soon.

So I don't really want to start a game and have the possibility of something messing up. I doubt it'll happen but since I don't know exactly what I'm missing out on yet I was thinking of playing BG:EE again with mods and an evil party.

I am leaning strongly towards a F/M protagonist with the following party:
Dorn
Kagain
Jaheira(or some NPC thief)
Viconia
Edwin (Baeloth)

Now since I am going to be evil I run into the thieving problems. Should I just roll my protagonist as a F/M/T, a multi-class thief, dual classed thief? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Also since I played-through BG:EE with no mods I am looking to mod, I'm sure a lot of people can help me out here with suggestions.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Honestly I would just play BG2EE if you'd like to. You could very well be done by the time it gets patched.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited September 2014
    The next patch probably is not comming this year.

Last year, for BG1EE, beta test started something like october, and the patch came just a month ago.
    Just play it. Before Christmas it's not comming for certain.

I would just suggest for you to avoid the new NPCs (Dorn, Neera, Rasaad and HEXXAT). They seems pretty bugged by now. I had a huge issue with Hexxat in the beginning of the year, and stopped playing because it killed all the mood. I was lucky that I had a save before meeting her. So some weeks ago I loaded this save, and rebooted my playthrough from that point.
  • GuboGubo Member Posts: 75
    Ah, well I plan on being evil in the 2nd one, which I have Dorn and Hexxat already. :(
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If you're building a new party to play through BG:EE while you wait for the BGII:EE patch, I would replace Jaheira with Coran to fill the Thief spot; Jaheira won't last long in an evil party, especially if you're following Dorn's quest line and especially if you're being as evil as the rest of your party wants you to be.

That being the case, you can make your protagonist whatever you like. Personally I would recommend some kind of arcane spellcaster to supplement Edwin's firepower, but your setup right now does cover all the important bases. You might consider an archery-focused character, which might mean a Fighter/Mage is a good fit for your party.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I find that alcohol is an excellent time waster. Either that or temple run. Just kidding....

AS has been stated, I'd simply go ahead and play. I don't think you are going to end up getting anything messed up. "If" and I am not saying that you will, but If, you end up encountering bugs? Meh... I've played all the way through with Dorn and not encountered any so.... I'd say it is hit or miss. Hope you miss (the bugs that is).
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Dual-class Shar-Teel, she'll make an excellent Thief.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Vitor said:

I had a huge issue with Hexxat in the beginning of the year, and stopped playing because it killed all the mood.

Hexxat kills the mood for me period. I've only gone so far as to listen to her in the Copper Coronet, but based on that alone I would never have her in my party. They certainly wasted their money when they hired the voice actor for her IMO. If I knew how, I would cut her from my game completely.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Belanos said:

Vitor said:

I had a huge issue with Hexxat in the beginning of the year, and stopped playing because it killed all the mood.

Hexxat kills the mood for me period. I've only gone so far as to listen to her in the Copper Coronet, but based on that alone I would never have her in my party. They certainly wasted their money when they hired the voice actor for her IMO. If I knew how, I would cut her from my game completely.

I'd say give her at least until the end of the first part of her quest. :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @the_spyder‌ and if you don't temple run to raise your dead companions, how do you have a party of living people?
    Dee said:

I'd say give her at least until the end of the first part of her quest. :)

With the way she sounds in the Coronet, I'm just not willing to give her that chance. Though there are some rather humorous dialogue options there. I do kind of like Neera though, and Rassad seems like he might be interesting. I have yet to try him out though. I haven't had much contact with Dorn yet, so I can't comment on him.

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Belanos Seconding @Dee's advice. Push through. You will be surprised.
    LiamEsler said:

@Belanos Seconding @Dee's advice. Push through. You will be surprised.

Well my character is Neutral Good, and the rest of my party is either leaning towards Good or at least Neutral. So she doesn't fit into the mix very well anyway.

• GuboGubo Member Posts: 75
    So does anyone have any mods they recommend?

I'm currently looking at PaintBG, BG1NPCs, SCS, TeamBG's weapon & armor pack and TeamBG's level40 ruleset/HLA's.

I haven't decided about Dark Horizons yet.

Anything that I have missed that you think I should look into?
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    BG1 NPC Project is a must in my opinion.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Anduin said:

My only problem with Hexxat is...

I feel the opportunity to put in a hot undead mummified gnome lady into the game was narrowly missed...

As it stands... Hexxat fills all the above criteria, apart from the mummified gnome part...

I just know someone at Beamdog is facepalming themselves each day because of this...

"Why didn't we put in a hot undead mummified gnome lady into the game! Why!" can be heard whispered in the Beamdog offices every now and again.

Take note @LiamEsler‌ !

THERE IS STILL TIME!

Also, we want some bearded Dwarven ladies into the game!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    Anduin said:

My only problem with Hexxat is...

I feel the opportunity to put in a hot undead mummified gnome lady Leaftender npc into the game was narrowly missed...

As it stands... Hexxat fills all none of the above criteria. , apart from the mummified gnome part...

I just know someone at Beamdog is facepalming themselves each day because of this...

"Why didn't we put in a hot undead mummified gnome lady Leaftender into the game! Why!" can be heard whispered in the Beamdog offices every now and again.

Take note!

THERE IS STILL TIME!

Corrected to show what you really should be asking for :p
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Just to make my position clear. Hexxat stays now. This needs to be an extra NPC. But there is no need to panic. Plenty of space still left in the graveyard.