Skip to content

the battle music?

is it a bug? just played for the day... after every battle the music just keeps rockin'? what's the happs?

Comments

• switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited September 2014
    what area? There have been battle music bugs such as this in BG:EE in the past, but as far as I know they have been fixed. The problem still occurs in BG2:EE 1.2 (especially for areas imported from BG:EE), but I didn't encounter such problems in the latest 1.3 BG:EE.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    Yea its certainly an issue people have been reporting, though I'm not certain if anyone has found a way to replicate it (testing just now in the game didn't seem to cause the issue for me). Quick saving and quick loading should get rid of it either way.
    JuliusBorisovkaguanameaglothCrevsDaak
  • theonlypeejtheonlypeej Member Posts: 44
    thanks E !
    elminster
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    I have that problem too, I noticed it for sure the beregost + area north of it... quick save + quick load, or entering a house or something, this fixes it.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    like @elminster‌ said its an issue,but no one has found a way to replicate it yet and that why it can't be fix.
    meaglothCrevsDaak
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I have it occasionally. There doesn't seem to be any pattern.
    CrevsDaakkaguanaelminster
    edited September 2014
    well, I can provide files that can replicate this problem 100% in BG2:EE engine using areas and music imported from BG:EE (with correctly updated 2da and music values in ARE files), if it could help you investigate it further.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @swit that is something only @Dee can answer you
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    That might help, @swit‌ - go ahead and zip them up and email them to me, and I'll take a look.
    kaguanaelminsterswit
    edited September 2014
    @Dee, after some more testing it looks like BG2:EE simply refuse to play some Day/Night songs. Not sure how many are affected. No need to upload whole area. Let's test it on AR4000 in BG2:EE. In the attached file you will find:
    - updated "songlist.2da" with additional BG:EE song entries from BG:EE
    - music folder with 2 MUS files and corresponding directories with ACM files - "pday" and "fday"
    - AR4000.ARE with following songs assigned: Day song: PDay - 136, Night song: FDay - 127, Victory song: BP2 - 57, Battle song: BP2 - 57, Defeat song: BP2 - 57 (as you can see I've changed Day and Night song entries to use BG:EE tracks)

Here is how it can be tested:
    1. Download attached file and extract it to your BG2:EE directory
    2. Start a new ToB game or teleport to AR4000 using clua console: CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("ar4000")
    3. If it is a night time you will hear "FDay" song correctly - everything OK
    4. Rest 12 hours. When it is a day time you won't be able to hear "PDay" song that is assigned to Day slot. For some reason it does not trigger at all.
    5. Now let's test the battle music: CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("gnollsu")
    6. At night time when the battle is over the music will be properly stopped, but if you killed the monster at day time the music won't stop because the engine refuse to start the "PDay" song as I mentioned above. The only way to fix it is saving + loading the game or resting.

As you can see the MUS files for both songs are similar (just different dir names inside), so it is not a problem with mus structure. What is strange is that the same "PDay" song works fine on BG:EE, so for this particular song, it is a problem unique to BG2:EE engine. There are more songs with such problem (for example "PNite"). I've tested it in other areas with the same results.

In other words: whenever the engine has problem with playing a Day/Night song (affects some of the ACM files) it will also bug the battle music song when the battle is finished. 2 problems in 1.
    Post edited by swit on
    JuliusBorisovGate70
    edited September 2014
    Another few tests and I've discovered another thing that should help you resolve the problem @Dee. In the uploaded archive when you swap entries in SONGLIST.2DA the other way around (Pday assigned to slot 127 and FDay to 136) Pday will start work properly and FDay will be broken. You can also assign vanilla BG2:EE songs and they won't work. So the problem lays not in a MUS/ACM files but in the engine reading from SONGLIST.2DA. Songs will not play at all if they are placed in broken slots. I hope that fixing this engine bug will also fix the random battle music problems that people reports.

Now that the problem can be replicated 100% should I repost these findings in Bug section?

edit: moving the whole topic to bug section would be easier solution ;)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Go ahead and post it in the BGII:EE Bugs forum with a note saying it was first spotted in BG:EE, but that this is a test case for BGII:EE.