Skip to content

lich

2»

Comments

• karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    jahes64 said:

Today i encountered another Lich at bridge district which is pretty hard, none of my magical weapons are able to hit him, even plus 4 weapons! How may i damage him?

Liches have quite a few defenses:

- They are naturally immune to all non-magical weapons. Only way around this is to use a magical weapon.

- They have spells which make them immune to magical weapons - these spells have a fairly short duration (4 rounds or so). You can either wait out the duration, or cast breach to remove it. You can also try casting dispel magic, but you need a high level character or an inquisitor to have much hope of success. They may well have more than one of these spells and will recast when the first one is gone.

- They also generally have stoneskin which blocks a certain number of attacks (like 15 or so). You can either just keep beating them till it runs out, or cast breach (or possibly try dispel magic). Also any weapons which have an elemental damage component (e.g. fire), the elemental damage will ignore stoneskin. They will likely cast stoneskin more than once.

- They are immune to level 5 and below spells, except breach and dispel magic.
  • jahes64jahes64 Member Posts: 177
    What about "Remove Magic" which is a party friendly kind of Dispel Magic? They are immune to it as it seems?
  • oldgamer518oldgamer518 Member Posts: 18
    Bottom line is, if you play without Cheese, Lich's are downright nasty opponents, as they should be. Much easier to kill than they are in PnP though.
  • jahes64jahes64 Member Posts: 177
    What is PnP?
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    jahes64 said:

What is PnP?

Pencil and Paper, basically the tabletop version of the Dungeons & Dragons RPG.

• xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @oldgamer518: I have only ever met one lich in PnP, and we destroyed that one. Found the phylactery, too.

In BG2, I've taken several beatings from liches.

Yes, I know. But couldn't resist.
  • oldgamer518oldgamer518 Member Posts: 18

@oldgamer518: I have only ever met one lich in PnP, and we destroyed that one. Found the phylactery, too.

In BG2, I've taken several beatings from liches.

Yes, I know. But couldn't resist.

I rememer facing at least two back when i played PnP. They were both from pre-made 1st. Edition modules. The first, iirc, was in D1 (decent into the depths of the earths) and the other in H4 (thone of bloodstone). The thing about pnp liches; they are only as effective as the DM running the campaign.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    I'm gonna roll charisma and tell the lich I set fire to its mummy ...?
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    lunar said:

Azuredge throwing axe is a good lich killer

The joys of one-shotting Shangalar in the Twisted Rune as soon as he shows up, by having Valygar throw Azuredge at him.

Most. Anticlimactic. Fight. Ever.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    demented said:

Nimran said:

He wanted to know if a murderous undead mage who was trying to kill him was evil or not.

The lich is just minding his own business, enjoying his undeath when this group of ruffians break into his home and try to take his stuff. I don't know about you, but I think he's perfectly justified in defending himself.
    After casting detect evil and determining that the lich was, in fact, not evil, but was simply defending himself, the party lower their weapons and instead have a nice relaxing chat about philosophy, the weather, and the seemingly impossible task of preventing future break-ins by other would-be 'heroes' of various intent.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    demented said:

Nimran said:

He wanted to know if a murderous undead mage who was trying to kill him was evil or not.

The lich is just minding his own business, enjoying his undeath when this group of ruffians break into his home and try to take his stuff. I don't know about you, but I think he's perfectly justified in defending himself.
    Yep, murder-hobos are a real problem in these parts.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    I agree it's all a long set of tragic misunderstandings.

On an unrelated note I watched Tucker and Dale Vs Evil last night.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    A mummy called lich? What's next, a Kobold called Gnoll? Perhaps a Mind Flayer called "Illithid"? Oh wait...
  • ShandoShando Member Posts: 147
    tip for the lich, let him cast, send 1 party member. run after he cast, after 6-7 times of casting, also cc spells he will b out of spells. then cast inviseblity purge and breach, or miscast and gg :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited November 2014
    karnor00 said:

jahes64 said:

Today i encountered another Lich at bridge district which is pretty hard, none of my magical weapons are able to hit him, even plus 4 weapons! How may i damage him?

Liches have quite a few defenses:

- They are naturally immune to all non-magical weapons. Only way around this is to use a magical weapon.

- They have spells which make them immune to magical weapons - these spells have a fairly short duration (4 rounds or so). You can either wait out the duration, or cast breach to remove it. You can also try casting dispel magic, but you need a high level character or an inquisitor to have much hope of success. They may well have more than one of these spells and will recast when the first one is gone.

- They also generally have stoneskin which blocks a certain number of attacks (like 15 or so). You can either just keep beating them till it runs out, or cast breach (or possibly try dispel magic). Also any weapons which have an elemental damage component (e.g. fire), the elemental damage will ignore stoneskin. They will likely cast stoneskin more than once.

- They are immune to level 5 and below spells, except breach and dispel magic.
    Liches are immune to breach spell in vanilla game. SCS changes this with 'more consistent breach spell' component. It also makes Rakshasas vulnerable to breach, as well. In vanilla game rakshasas are even worse:immunity to lvl 7 spells or lower, including breach. But horrid wilting or dragons breath fixes them quite nicely.

Dispel/remove magic will work on liches but you need a caster level of 25+ to even have a chance to dispel their spells because they are all very high level spellcasters. A lvl 14+ inquisitor will work, too. (unless the lich has spell immunity:abjuration, you need to fire a ruby ray or two beforehand then.)
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    @jahes64 You seriously haven't encountered liches in any other games either? World of Warcraft?
    Personally I know this term from BG, or AD&D but I was introduced to it when I was 13. Salvatore-novels sparked my interest originally, I think.
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    jahes64 said:

a mummy called lich.

My favorite band

• supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    edited December 2014

Even the most reasonable lich in all of BG, Vongoethe, who openly says he doesn't want a fight and is entirely open to argument and negotiation, is in fact of Lawful Evil alignment.

Lawful Evil: Vicious, but fair.