Skip to content

[Not an Issue] Wraithform Spell scroll border highlight - new to 1.3

dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
edited July 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
The one scroll (that I know of) of Wraithform in BG:EE, obtained in the Candlekeep catacombs, does not show a green border while in the possession of a mage that does not know the spell.

The scroll DOES show a red border when in the possession of characters that cannot use the scroll.

I have two mages in the party, Imoen and Neera. Does not show green for either. Neither mage has the spell in spell book. Makes no difference if the spell is in spellcase or carried loose.
Post edited by Hurricane on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    I've just tried this @dreamrider (new game with Adelia and Imoen. Jump to Sakul to obtain the scroll, and dual Imoen. It is green-tinged in version 1.3 for both characters so a few questions please.

PC/Mac/etc.
    Game started with v1.3, or started on an earlier install.
    Language (English or other).
    Any mods installed.

Thanks
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    edited September 2014
    Are you sure they can learn more spells at their intelligence level?
    Post edited by hook71 on
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    PC. Dell XPS L702 w/ an i7 chip.
    Win 7, up to date.
    Game v1.3, started in the 1.3 beta.
    English
    No mods (efete purist - also, haven't played BG enough to get jaded.)

Not running anything significant in background - just Microsoft Essentials as AV, and a couple of open web pages (such as this one.)

I have noticed that occasionally some spell will show black inside the scroll case, but green when taken 'in hand'. Checked both ways, and checked both characters spellbooks to make sure it was not sucked in during one of my Sorcerous Sundries/Potion of Genius parties - it was not in the spellbooks.

dreamrider

PS - Who is Adelia? Your CHARNAME?
    hook71 said:

Are you sure they can memorize more spells at their intelligence level?

Haven't tried to memorize the spell yet. Just talking about the 'not learned yet' border being missing while carrying it around.

I always wait and use a Potion of Genius and a Potion of Perception to run the intelligence up to 25 when I am learning spells, unless it is some kind of emergency, 'must learn now' situation (I think that has happened once.)

edited September 2014
    It won't get a green border if you can't learn it.
    Post edited by hook71 on
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Adelia is a default character you can choose when using the pre-generate option during character creation.
    hook71 said:

It won't get a green border if you can't memorize it.

Are you sure about that? (I invite any devs or loremasters to weigh in here.)

I'm not disagreeing arbitrarily. Both characters are 17 native Int. That means their unassisted limit is 14 spells in any section of their grimoire. The last time I potioned up and memorized some spells (with both characters, as it happens), it was precipitated because I had some spells in hand that were green, BEFORE they took the potions. Among those learned was at least one 3rd level for each character, and each of these characters had at least 14 3rd level spells written at that time.

It may be a little time before I can test this. I'm out of the appropriate potions, and wanted (unjustly) for murder (they attacked us, after I described their family mating practices.) I think I've bought out the easily available sources outside of BG, though I will soon check with Thalantyr.

Yes, I tested with a newly created INT 9 mage to make sure.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Yes, you get the green border ONLY if you can copy it to the spellbook.
    edited September 2014
    That's probably it then. Both mages now have 14+ 3rd level spells, so I would need to potion up to see border.

Thanks, guys/gals.

Which leads to the feature request: How about a thin border, or a pale green/yellow border, or something, if you don't have the spell but can't learn it for some reason without mind-altering drugs, etc?