Skip to content

Questions for the developers

Do you even still plan to include original voiceovers for non-english versions of the game? If so, what's the progress? When we can expect it to be done?

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has been released on November 28th 2012, and if my memory serves me right, if was advertised with full support for non-english language versions and - what's more important - nothing indicated it was supposed to be done after release. Now, we gave Spetember 28th 2014, which means it has been year and ten months after release. And still there is no world regarding the issue.

I'm still waiting for the full support I mentioned and patience is truly wonderful thing. Too bad it can run out eventually. For nearly two years I am owning Baldur's Gate version which still isn't the Baldur's Gate I waited for!

Lastly, let Gary Oldman speak for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84zY33QZO5o

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I don't think they will, since sounds take up a lot of space and the game should be of a moderate size because of it's compatibility with mobile devices.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I hope you are wrong.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    For localized VO from original content, we're still looking at the best way to implement them without exceeding file size limits; to put that in perspective, we have to be careful about adding any new files to BG:EE or BGII:EE because Apple has a strict 2 GB limit on App sizes.

For the new content, there are currently no plans for adding VO for them. As for what was advertised, I don't recall exactly what was said, but I believe the "full support" mentioned was talking about text, not voice-over.
    edited September 2014
    First of all, file excuse doesn't work for PC users. Aa for mobile devices, you could make additional soundfiles optional for download - in that way, you wouldn't force anyone to download much big files size content. So, downloading voiceovers would work like free DLC instead of like patch.

Second, I am aware that new content isn't getting anything. And I was not asking about it.

Third, full support doesn't mean "text only". The fact that you said it indicated that I, as customer, was misinformed. It doesn't matter one bit if it was intentional or not, the fact remains.

Also, I think I would recieve the same information nearly two years ago. So, indirectly I learned that there is no progress at all. How can anyone see it as insightful is beyond my comprehersion.
    Post edited by O_Bruce on
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    CrevsDaak said:

I don't think they will, since sounds take up a lot of space and the game should be of a moderate size because of it's compatibility with mobile devices.

Does this mean that in future BG et al will be limited to the performance and usability abilities of mobile devices?
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    dunbar said:

Does this mean that in future BG et al will be limited to the performance and usability abilities of mobile devices?

It seems that it already is, in many ways. Desktop players are getting the short end of the Stick +3 here.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    ...would you rather be recieving a larger stick?? :p
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    djc said:

dunbar said:

It seems that it already is, in many ways. Desktop players are getting the short end of the Stick +3 here.
    Just hope its brother's a +12 Stickmaster.
    Restricting PC version for the sake of mobile devices is stupid in itself.
    O_Bruce said:

Restricting PC version for the sake of mobile devices is stupid in itself.

I think 'stupid' is too strong a word as I can see that it could be a commercial necessity in order to make the games more appealing to a wider consumer base, however I would hope that two versions would be available - one for desktop players and one for mobile users, with different pricing to reflect the different contents.
    dunbar said:

however I would hope that two versions would be available - one for desktop players and one for mobile users, with different pricing to reflect the different contents.

That's what I've meant. It would be stupid to limit PC version, instead of making two different versions, one for stationary users, second for mobile users.
    Thats a slippery slope arguably, making the mobile version 'lesser'. Its missing a big selling point!
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    There is also the concern that the more "Versions" there are, the more vetting and testing and code debugging needs to be done. Having one version means only one version needs to be fixed when it breaks. Having multiple versions can cause problems.
    But equally arguably, if the desktop version could be 'better' wouldn't that also be a big selling point (and all the more reason two versions)?
    To be clear, I am not defending anyone.

As a software programmer myself (in a different industry), anything as complex as a computer game? The fewer versions the better. Or to put it another way, the more versions you have, the more people you have to work on bug fixes and the like. And the further the two versions are different, the more of a nightmare it is to come up with fixes that work for both.

Could (hypothetically) multiple versions be done by a software development company? Probably. But I would expect that to have an impact on patch release cycles.
    In engineering, its seen as a huge advantage to have fewer unique components... if you can design an airplane that uses identical drive systems for each engine, you can save huge headaches later if ot means nobody needs to stock a supply of left and right engines. Its a huge potential hassle to have different versions for a relatively small company like this; we already have outrage over IWDEE, imagine if there was another 2 games also being developed AND debugged simultaneously, ie PC versions of BGEE and BG2EE!
    Just to make it clear, I don't want "equality" between different versions for different platforms with vast difference in power result in not having voiceovers at all. I mean a voiceovers for old content, thet only need to be carry out.

No native English speaker, who was raised on English version of the game could possibly understand why the matter is so important to me.
    @O_Bruce - we are not saying we don't feel your pain. And it is a bit of a handi-cap for some, it's true. We were merely attempting to help you understand why companies might opt to only have one version of the software going at a time even across multiple platforms, and why it makes sense to do so. But it is all speculation in any event.

Absolutely, if you have a complaint, best to bring it to someone's attention.

Absolutely, if you have a complaint, best to bring it to someone's attention.

And you think this topic was for what, exactly?
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    Even though I myself haven't ever had the need for any other language versions beside english, it troubles me that content already existing and previously included is no being used. It's just simply against the very idea of a ENHANCED version of the game: removing content and features isn't enhancing. Enhanced Edition should not, in any way, be lesser than the non-enhanced.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2041/bg-ee-please-read-list-of-things-that-have-been-announced/p1

BG:EE will be multilingual form the get-go.
    BG:EE will ship with all available languages in a single build, and it will be possible to select the language of the text and the language of the voice independently.
    While this doesn't explicitly state that the original voice-over translations will be included, to me it certainly seems to imply it. And if this is something they said they were going to do, then I'd say that debates about the logistics of implementation become become something of a moot point.
    To one it might look like that voicovers are sure to be implemented at some point, but since the release day there was no single action towards that. Due to the fact that I'm waiting almost 2 years, it should be reasonable that I'm losing my patience with and faith in developers. Remember anyone how people were impatient while waiting about 6 months for a patch? I wait over 3 times as much. And I never was a patient person to begin with.

Also, sure, discussion about the way the feature should be implemented is certainly needed, but I'm afraid not now. As I said - there was no single action towards it. And if @Dee is saiyng that they are discussin the way to implement this, then he is just saiyng. There is no proof that his words are anything other than a attempt to silence me. I'll believe when I'll have any proof.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I wish they did so I could try to learn french while playing BG