Skip to content

Rasaad?

Hey all, I've played through the original Baldur's Gate more times than I'd like to admit, and I picked up Enhanced Edition the other day and I'm playing through as an Invoker. I decided to give Rasaad a go, since he's a new character I've never used before, and I'm looking for some tips for getting through the game with him? Is he good, bad, or terrible? Hahaha thanks in advance!

Comments

• Mechanically, he's pretty bad in BGEE, but becomes badass in BG2EE due to how long it takes for the Monk class to get good. I'd advise getting him sling proficiency and having him provide missile support most of the game if you don't want to micromanage him, or else make sure that he only engages targets in melee who are already distracted so he doesn't get hit as much.

That said, he's an interesting character with some great voice acting and arguably the most interesting NPC side quest in BGEE, so I'd say he's worth taking along at least once to see how you like him.
    HeindrichGoodSteveJenzafarmeagloth
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    He's worse than Garrick for most of the game... I've actually babysitted him in my current game until the XP cap. His current stats with the best gear I can provide him are.
    Level 8
    HP 37
    AC -2
    THAC0 10
    Damage 7-16, with 2 attacks per round

Most fights he just stands back and uses the sling or magic missle wand, and sometimes casts the Sun Soulray ability to quicky dispose of trash. He has a near death experience each time I try to use him in melee, which makes his Flaming Fist and Greater Sun abilities pretty useless.
    GoodSteve
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Rasaad is probably the worst NPC you can get in BG1, beating Garrick for the title. He suffers mostly from a very bad AC. The monk is a melee class, if they're not in melee than they're not doing their job right. However, going into melee with Rasaad with his bad Con means he wont have very many hit points, with his ok dex he will have bad AC until late BG1 early SoA because he can't wear armor and his class doesn't give him sufficient bonuses to be viable at low levels, and with his ok strength he's really not that great when it comes to melee either. The monk class doesn't have the monks unarmed attacks count as "magic" for hitting certain creatures until level 9, and Rasaad caps at level 8 in BG1, so you'll run into some monsters he cannot even hurt in melee... unless he uses a weapon, but sadly monks using weapons don't get the higher number of attacks like they do while unarmed, with a Scimitar +2 at level 8 Rasaad had 3/2 (3 attacks over 2 rounds) which is the same that a level 1 fighter, paladin, ranger, or barbarian would have at level 1 and two pips in a weapon type, by level 8 they'll be far more impressive.

Essentially the only use for Rasaad is to give him a ranged weapon proficiency (since he doesn't start with one... irritating), I suggest darts for the high number of attacks and since there are some decent types of darts like wounding and stunning and no other npc really uses them, put him in the back row and just forget about him. That, or you can have him use his fast movement speed to basically run up, get all the bad guys attention then run around while they chase him and have the rest of the party fire at them with ranged weapons. With this strategy you have to hope that the enemies don't have ranged weapons themselves or Rasaad will be a pin cushion in no time.

Once he gets to the end of the game, I think he had around -6 AC and an ok THAC0 (much less than my F/C, Yeslick, and Dorn) and was a passable party member, but would have been better replaced by ANYONE else.

In BG2 however, he shines. The Monk class quickly becomes powerful once you get to level 9+, so I'd suggest using him then. In BG1 I suggest you endure one playthrough with him, just to experience his dialogs and unique quests and then forget he exists for any other playthrough... I know I have.
    TheGraveDigger
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    You should try him yourself if you want to see what is he about:)

With the help of this guide: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21205/i-punch-dopplegangers-aka-bgee-monk-guide in parts that can be used for Rasaad he'll be a solid character.

Yes, not powerful but still you don't always take NPCs because of mere power, do you? His quest in BG1 is rather interesting and brings you some funny dialogue and a powerful item.

So, go for it!
    rufus_hobartlunar
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    Check out my NPC Guide to BGEE. Specifically the Rasaad "Sun Soul Monk" section.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183524786

My best advice would be actually something thought up by Tresset. If you use Relair's Mistake (its a cloak that turns you into a wolf) you can continue using your abilities, get virtually the same amount of damage per hit, but get an extra attack per round out of it.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited October 2014
    He is a bit rubbish if I'm honest, but he's has a great story, maybe the best ee story in the game. I haven't played all of them though, and I think dorn is supposed to be pretty good.
    Post edited by meagloth on
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    After the patch that made him into a Sun Soul Monk he is quite viable imo.
    In the first few levels he is very weak, but with AC bracers, the Str belt in his quest and a few other items he is quite solid.

I had a blast playing with him last time :)
    JuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    I like to use him as a stealth hit and run guy. Hide, walk in the middle of a group of undead, sun soul ray, run away.

It works great that way, he has good saving trows, so spellcasters beware.
    JuliusBorisov
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    In bg1 he is bad in melee. He can't go toe to toe with any hard hitting regular enemy like an ogre berserker. He will have troubles. Thus, in regular game play he is better suited as a sling user or shock hit and run troop:hide in shadows, hit them with your best attack or special ability and retreat fast to the party.

For the tough fights, potions of defense or invulnerability make him a reliable tank for some time, add strength potions to the mix and he will do great in melee. His vulnerability to critical hits hurt a lot, though. If you can afford the spells, use spirit armor+improved invisibility+strength spell on him and he will do great. Punches are fast and have good reach. You will need a magical sword for the monsters immune to normal weaponry, though. He can still hurt them with his sunsoul abilities.

In bg2 he quickly becomes a strong fighter, as every level up really beefs him up. Monks really improve with levels, other fighters gain a few hit points and THAC0 bonus, while monk continues to improve its AC, number of attacks, magic resistance, and special abilities.

His quests are great in both games, and have good magical items as reward. He has a deep, interesting personality too, especially in bg2.
    JuliusBorisov
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    edited October 2014
    Lewis244 said:

Hey all, I've played through the original Baldur's Gate more times than I'd like to admit, and I picked up Enhanced Edition the other day and I'm playing through as an Invoker. I decided to give Rasaad a go, since he's a new character I've never used before, and I'm looking for some tips for getting through the game with him? Is he good, bad, or terrible? Hahaha thanks in advance!

He's horrible but his quest his very enjoyable. He's tough to keep out of combat because he moves so fast. I would shut his script off and tell him to sit there and meditate and then pat him on the back after each fight and say, "Good job buddy, you killed them all with you mind!"

Is his quest-line working for you guys? I can't get the Docks encounter to trigger. He's been in the party for like 30 days, talked to him TWICE, what am I missing?

(side note: I rolled up a 97 point Invoker-NINETY SEVEN!)
    Loldrup
  • YoYoTheAssyrianYoYoTheAssyrian Member Posts: 2
    I really like the new npcs, Rasaad especially. And while all the caveats noted above are corect, I've had no real problem running him as a melee character. He just gets first priority to magical ac items, and of course give him that cursed belt of 19 str from his quest and he just murders things, especially undead, which can be helpful, especially in durlags tower where you fight a lot of ghouls and stuff.

As far as unique party role, I found that he makes a great mage killer. His basic movement speed, being faster than normal, allows him to get up on back fielders super quick and start swinging away. And if he's quick enough the enemy mage will just never get a spell off.

Buffs are necessary, if you also have jaheira, putting her level two spells into barkskin is a good idea, espeically since most other druid lvl 2 spells aren't super useful. Also potions, heroism, str buffs, stoneskin, all are awesome for him, and I always have a bunch of those.

Overall, a lot of fun, good chacter specific quest and definite role that requires a little care and item distribution, but not much more than everyone else.
    JuliusBorisov