Skip to content

A bunch of chapters.

rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
Or y'know, one to start with. Or half of one. Whichever. Having gained immense pleasure from reading others recent playthrough postings and novelisations, I thought I might as well throw my efforts in as well. So this is this. Overly long, no doubt and irritatingly focused on the wrong things but it amused me writing it, there are several installments finished, a few more outlined and the rest is kinda vague in most parts so far. The original save game it was based off has sadly gone to heaven so I'll have to start it again to progress much further for the requisite details to flesh out my character's story. But without too much more rambling, here's Ms. Laisha Lapari, Wild Mage of Candlekeep.

An imposingly tall building stands towering over a rainy city far, far from the library of Candlekeep. Lightning flashes in the sky. Someone crawls through a door - a man, clad in ill fitting, mismatched armour - out onto a rooftop...it crashes open behind him. He's being stalked. A huge, armoured demonic figure, immensely strong strides through, implacable, unstoppable.
“I will be the last,” it growls as it crushes the poor soul's windpipe. “And you will go first!”
And the young half-elf maiden Laisha Lapari wakes with a scream, a thousand leagues to the south, as the man's body is hurled from the rooftops to land broken on the cobblestones below, his lifeblood draining away to the city sewers.

From the end of her bed a white shape uncurled itself, yellow eyes glowing malevolently at the shaking girl as it padded up the bed to her head.
“What is it now, woman? Your screams are quite enough to wake the dead! My napping is suffering from your constant twitching and moaning in the night.”
Hanu, her feline familiar, twitched his tail irritably, then, his action belying his harsh words, started to lick the girl's face.
“I'm sorry, Hanu,” Laisha apologised, her fear and tension melting away at the soothing touch of the cat's tongue. “It's ridiculous. I'm 20 years old, and still having nightmares.”
Hanu blinked his yellow eyes, then moved the attentions of his tongue from his wizard's face to his impeccably clean paws.
“Is it your magics again?” he quizzed her. “How many times can you blame yourself for squirrelizing that dreadful boy? He fully deserved it, as you well know. Plus, he was very much fun to pursue around the grounds.” Hanu's eyes gleamed wickedly, and Laisha couldn't quite stifle a giggle from the memory of her wild magicks going astray once more, this time on a bratty apprentice to a visiting wizard.
“No, it wasn't that, it was those...other dreams. The feeling that's there's something dark, something monstrous coming...”
Hanu rolled his eyes. “You bipeds. Always finding catastrophe in every flap of a butterfly's wings.” His cleaning ritual seemingly completed, he curled back up near Laisha and closed his eyes, a cocked ear her only clue that he was still paying attention.

“Imoen thinks it could be related to my wild magic,” Laisha offered tentatively, as her cat sniffed.
“She's a human. She thinks the sun coming up each morning is due to magic.”
“Oh, must you be so grumpy, fuzzball?” Laisha laughed, scruffing up the cat and rolling him onto his back to scratch at his belly.
Hanu flexed his claws and bared his teeth mock ferociously, but his purring belied his show of displeasure.
“And what of Gorion?” he asked, stretching out to his full length, “have you talked to your father lately about your nightmares?”
Laisha scowled .
“Gorion has had precious little to say about anything to me lately. Dark glances and hurried brush-offs are all I seem to get from him these these days. Perhaps I'm finally growing up too fast for him, despite all his best efforts.”
Hanu's nose twitched.
“He certainly wasn't overjoyed at your fraternising with that group of Sharessan clerics who came the other month to pore over the Scrolls of Xee, was he?”
The cat's lips stretched into a toothy grin.
“And whose fault was that, Hanu? You're the one who insisted we go and talk to them, remember?”
“I thought you should feel the embrace of the Feline Huntress, since you were given the chance,” the cat yawned. “She seemed to suit your...nature, as close to cat-like as an imperfect being such as youself can get. Why else would I have come to your childish call.”
Laisha smiled. That was high praise indeed coming from her haughty cat familiar. Her memories of the nightmares subsiding, she thought she should get moving soon. Gorion would undoubtedly send an invisible messenger in to toss her out of bed if she didn't...Or Winthrop would start bellowing for her to help clean his inn...Or even worse, they'd set Imoen onto her with a dozen of her little pranks!

After coaxing Hanu out of bed with the promise of breakfast, Laisha wandered down and out into the grounds of the Candlekeep library where she had been raised for most of the last 20 years. The Citadel of Candlekeep towered over the Sea of Swords, and housed the finest and most comprehensive collection of writings on the face of Faerun. The imposing fortress was kept in strict isolation from the intrigues that plagued the rest of the Forgotten Realms. The former home of Alaundo the Seer was secluded and highly regimented, and to Laisha, it was the only home she'd ever known. The sage Gorion had taken her under his wing here, despite her being an orphan, entertaining and tutoring her in equal measure with a thousand tales of lore involving heroes and monsters, lovers and infidels, battles and tragedies. Her own past, however, was left largely untold. All she knew of her mother was that she had been a half-elvish maiden from the great city of Silverymoon, and a friend of Gorion's. Of her father, she knew nothing at all.

Inspired by Gorion's vast knowledge of the magical arts, Laisha had made especially productive use of the library. She had pored over the treasures of magical lore housed within its walls. Gorion had instructed her in the basics, and was impressed by her raw ability, but was concerned by some of the side effects that manifested itself from time to time. Despite her happiness with her simple life in Candlekeep, some part of the young half-elf longed to test her powers beyond the guarded walls of the library, and Gorion himself had told her he would soon take her on a journey, something her adventurous spirit looked very much forward to. Laisha yawned as Hanu looked up inquisitively.
“So what monotonous drudgery do the monks have you doing today?” the cat asked idly, his slitted eyes watching a fluttering insect nearby.
“This morn I am to meet Jondalar for staff training. You know he wants me to keep up my quarterstaff techniques once a tenday. He insists that magic skill by itself is not enough to defend myself. Even after that time where I accidently turned his staff into a serpent.” she grinned ruefully.
Hanu sniffed and shook his head, simply muttering “humans” as if it was a curse.

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Who knew yeti could specialize in wordsmithing? Bards from everywhere will venture into the wilds for a chance at the unknown yeti tales! Sadly, most will not make it back, but those who do will thrill us all with tales of adventure.

Oh dear, I'm rambling again. Babble happens. Anyway, thanks for the enjoyable read!
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I really like what you did with Kolssed. I’ve often wished some of the NPCs you meet in the game were just a bit more fleshed out, which is one of the reasons I enjoy reading stories like this. It’s so much fun to see someone else's take on the characters.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Awww... I really loved that farewell scene to Gorion. :) And I especially loved how you tied it in with the suicidal man by the cliff. A really nice wake-up call for a character who's so normally full of life! And envisioning Hanu purring all curled-up and cute in a backpack makes me want a cat again. :3

I'm curious. Did you happen to have a certain dream sequence in your head when you wrote this part? "Would it be better to stay on the road with all these reported raidings and banditry, or take to the woods, off the beaten track?" The image reminded me a lot like the first dream sequence in the game. When Gorion tells Charname that he/she cannot go back to Candlekeep, and must choose between two paths to venture forward--one paved, and one through the woods. If that was meant to be a shout-out to that dream sequence, then well done! If not, then well done anyway! Accidental symbolism is always wonderful. :D

I did notice one major grammar mistake you may want to fix to keep other readers from tripping over it. I think it's a typo of some sort? Towards the end of the first paragraph in Chapter 2 Part 2: "So it was that when it was that then they rounded a corner..." I think it pretty much speaks for itself... Normally I try not to nit-pick on grammar things like this, but that one really threw me for a loop.

Otherwise, good job! Looking forward to reading more. :D
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I loved the part where Xzar inspected the ring. :)