Skip to content

SCS - Smarter Mages

HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
I'm finally getting around to playing BG:EE and thought I'd try the SCS mod for the first time. I'm loving it so far, however, is it normal for mages to be precasting as much as they are if I've selected option 2?

Option 2: Mages are allowed to cast spells instantly at the start of combat only when they are created near the PC (e.g. enemy mages teleporting in to ambush you). This is basically how Tactics handles this (though I think I keep to the rules more strictly than Tactics does). It's somewhat less challenging, but since even casters whom you catch off-guard have contingencies and sequencers to defend themselves with, mages can slam up defences pretty quickly.
Nimbul for example has precast Shield, Mirror Image, Haste, Improved Invisibility, and Stoneskin.

Tarnesh precasts Shield and Mirror Image, which wasn't really so bad, but the SCS readme indicates the spells which ignore the setting chosen are the ones with several hours duration, which most of these are not. I've been surprised at each mage encounter so far at the amount of prebuffing, but Nimbul is really kicking my ass and I'm starting to think that setting did nothing.

Anyone know anything about this? I've checked the weidu log and the second choice definitely installed. I'm using version 28 alongside BG1 NPC Project and BG2 Tweaks, but I'm fairly sure neither of those affect casters like this.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Nimbul usually throws in a couple of Melf's in that sequencer, which is delightful and I love that aspect of the improvements.

I just double checked the precasting, and the spells I mentioned all show as (cast previously) in the combat log. I tried reinstalling the component, but nothing changed for Tarnesh in a new game.

I might try a complete reinstall of the whole game just to be sure.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    This is sadly still happening after a full reinstall.
    As far as I can tell (with invisibility potions), he's just passively standing around. Same with Tarnesh. I'll give option 3 a go for now though as it sounds a lot more like what I'm looking for than option 1.

Great work as well by the way; the game feels so much more alive now.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Nimbul is created by AR4800.BCS
    IF
    Global("NibulSpawn","GLOBAL",0)
    Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",3)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("NibulSpawn","GLOBAL",1)
    CreateCreature("NIMBUL",[1249.693],S)
    END
    I don't know exactly how SCS determines whether a mage can pre-buff or not with option 2, but if it's based on whether the creature is created by script, that might be the reason.
    Hmm. Mulahey was guilty of this too, precasting Armor of Faith, Bless, and Remove Fear. I had a quick look at Mulahey's cave (AR5405.bcs) and there's nothing there that's obviously creating him.

Same with Tarnesh at the Friendly Arm.