Skip to content

Some n00b questions, (16 years after release!) partly 2e related, some small spoilers.

Hi guys, better late than never huh? I had a few questions regarding the game mechanics. The only versions of D&D that I've had any experience with were 3e and 3.5e and my memories of that are somewhat hazy.

When I made my character (a Cleric) I got really lucky with my roll I ended up with 17 strength, 17 constitution and 18 wisdom so I figured I'd keep that, put a point in con and then the rest into wis. But at this point I'm starting to think that gaining stat points as you level was a 3e thing. ^^; Is that the case or does it take more levels than I thought to get one?

Speaking of levels: are thieves the only ones who have skills? (we've got pickpocket, move silently all that sort of thing but no one else has had anything)

This one's about the game in particular: Do you lose access to quests as you progress through the story? I picked up a quest to kill a Necromancer in chapter 1, looked him up and decided I didn't want anything to do with him just yet there was also a quest to do with a woman by the name of Silke that caused a TPK so I decided to leave that one for later and a quest about a former guard captain that I just didn't deal with yet.

We were about a week into the adventure when Jaheira started griping about us taking to long to get to Nashkel so I was worried that she'd leave the party and take Khalid with her so I high tailed it over there and completed the mines (just!) at level 3 - basically skipping all of chapter 1 and 2. It was only after I beat the last guy that I noticed that all my quests had disappeared. Can I no longer head back and do those now?

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited October 2014
    you don't get more stat points via levelling but for a cleric moderate physical scores are fine because you can boost those attributes to max with your divine spells.

thieves' skills are the only type of skills you get to distribute points for on level up, but some other classes have access to some of these skills too: rangers have stealth and bards have pickpocket. monks have stealth and find traps

you don't loose access to quests as a rule but there might be some cases i can't remember right now.
    the quests didn't disappear after doing the mines. you just have to flip pages back in the journal to the previous chapters to see them.
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Gespenst said:

there was also a quest to do with a woman by the name of Silke that caused a TPK so I decided to leave that one for later

Perhaps you should reconsider the way you're playing. Either save more often and give quests a try, or don't even "look up" people anywhere. Silke is rather harmless, but dealing with her gives you another option early which is not worthwhile much later.
    Gespenst said:

and a quest about a former guard captain that I just didn't deal with yet.

Hah! The difficulty will be finding that one. It's good that you hear about such quests early. Better than meeting him before learning about his background.
    Gespenst said:

We were about a week into the adventure when Jaheira started griping about us taking to long to get to Nashkel

Which is okay. It's also a hint that you could travel to Nashkel more quickly, trust Jaheira, and not waste time exploring half of the world. Some NPCs complain more often, others complain once and leave.
    Gespenst said:

so I high tailed it over there and completed the mines (just!) at level 3

Which is okay, too, especially since you don't need to exit through the backdoor but return to the main entry. Note that in many playthroughs, Imoen gets dual-classed into a mage no later than as soon as reaching level 3 and having found and disarmed the traps in the mines. At level 4 it would take longer for her to reactivate her thief class.
    Gespenst said:

- basically skipping all of chapter 1 and 2. It was only after I beat the last guy that I noticed that all my quests had disappeared. Can I no longer head back and do those now?

You can, and you can even turn back and forth pages in your Quests journal. ;)
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Gespenst said:

When I made my character (a Cleric) I got really lucky with my roll I ended up with 17 strength, 17 constitution and 18 wisdom so I figured I'd keep that, put a point in con and then the rest into wis. But at this point I'm starting to think that gaining stat points as you level was a 3e thing. ^^; Is that the case or does it take more levels than I thought to get one?

When you create your character, you should be more worried about the total number of statpoints you get. You can freely distribute them around.

For a cleric I would go for 18 str, 18 dex, 16 con and 18 wis if possible.
    You don't need more than 16 con for a non-warrior class unless you play one of the shorty classes (dwarves, halflings, gnomes), as they get bonuses in saving throws.
    You will find a few stat tomes in the game that can increase your stats, but beside those you will not gain anything.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    @‌Gespenst
    apart from thieving skills, there are skill-like stats that improve on their own:
    additional attacks - strike an increasing number times in a round (monks have the best, warriors also have it)
    backstab - increasing damage multiplier makes you more deadly when attacking from behind while hidden (assassins have the best, thieves and stalkers have it too)
    turn undead - annihilate increasingly strong undead (clerics and paladins have it)
    lore - identify increasingly powerful and obscure items without the spell (convenient but unnecessary, bard has by far the most)

there are also class abilities which improve with levels, and which you get more uses of. there are also unique character powers.

but you are right, there isn't much way to actually customize your character during the game.
    the most customizable class is sorcerer. he gets to pick his repertoire of spells on level-up and can't learn new spells in a different way.

but generally, the game is not about "building" the character like in fallout or diablo, it's about making an initial choice and then roleplaying the character according to it.

after level 20 (normally in the throne of bhaal expansion) the game compromises this idea and actually gives you 'High Level Abilities' that are like typical CRPG skills. each level, you can pick one from a pool, some are dependent upon another etc.
    every class has them and the pool is class-specific. unfortunately only warriors face a real choice as you'll see.
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    Merina said:

Perhaps you should reconsider the way you're playing. Either save more often and give quests a try, or don't even "look up" people anywhere. Silke is rather harmless, but dealing with her gives you another option early which is not worthwhile much later.

I'd like to endorse that. You only get to play the game for the first time once and you're really much better off making decisions based on what you learn in game than from walkthroughs. You may make mistakes but I can still vividly remember things I did by accident many years later. I'd strongly advise keep walkthroughs for only if you're really, really stuck and try blundering through on your own wherever possible: it's a much more memorable experience.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @Gespenst - looks like you already have some good advice on this. And yes, you are confusing 2e (Baldur's gate rules) with 3/3.5e. There are significant differences. It is interesting to note that BG2 actually has a mod that converts to 3e at least in part. I hated it, but you might enjoy it. Also Icewind Dale 2 is 3e(ish).

One other piece of advice, assuming you decide to go back and start again. While you don't get stat points on level up, there are several places where you can get increases to your stats. You will find items that will do that. With that having been said, since you are playing a Cleric, your CON won't help you beyond 16 (unless you are a short race). So if you start out with 15 and find the item that increases it one, you are gonna really be in the best situation you can be.

Good luck.
  • GespenstGespenst Member Posts: 31
    Wow, ok, thanks guys. That was a lot of responses.
    bengoshi said:

Hello, @Gespenst‌ and welcome to the forum!

I think the first thing you should do is to download and read the game manuals

Reading the manual? What is this? The 90s?

...hm.

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have quit out of the tutorial when I realised that there were in fact UI tool tips they just took a while to show up either.
    bob_veng said:

the quests didn't disappear after doing the mines. you just have to flip pages back in the journal to the previous chapters to see them.

Ah, that's where I was going wrong. I didn't realise that those were buttons.
    Merina said:

Silke is rather harmless, but dealing with her gives you another option early which is not worthwhile much later.

She cast improved invisibility and then chain lightning twice killing the main character. I guess she won initiative and with the invisibility buff I don't think I managed to hit her.
    Sed said:

When you create your character, you should be more worried about the total number of statpoints you get. You can freely distribute them around.

Somehow I didn't really notice that. I guess I saw it I just didn't think about it.

@Gespenst - looks like you already have some good advice on this. And yes, you are confusing 2e (Baldur's gate rules) with 3/3.5e. There are significant differences. It is interesting to note that BG2 actually has a mod that converts to 3e at least in part. I hated it, but you might enjoy it.

I don't think anyone actually *liked* 3e but 3.5 was great, although it too had it's issues.

Then again if it replaces THAC0 with regular AC and attack rolls maybe it'd be more convenient. For some reason my brain just shuts down when thinking about THAC0 even if later versions are just the same thing but with positive numbers.
    Sed said:

For a cleric I would go for 18 str, 18 dex, 16 con and 18 wis if possible.

One other piece of advice, assuming you decide to go back and start again. While you don't get stat points on level up, there are several places where you can get increases to your stats. You will find items that will do that. With that having been said, since you are playing a Cleric, your CON won't help you beyond 16 (unless you are a short race). So if you start out with 15 and find the item that increases it one, you are gonna really be in the best situation you can be.

Yeah, I wanted to go to 18 con because I thought it'd give me 4 more HP every level (3.5 again, I think) and I didn't prioritize a high dex because I thought that the heavy armour my character would be wearing would give her a penalty to dex (which doesn't seem to be a thing here either).

I really didn't want to restart because I was enjoying my first time through the game and odd character rolls are sort of a part of D&D the way I see it but looking at my THAC0 I'm not so sure. <_<

The only thing is... have any of you played XCOM? Either the more recent or the original versions? Those games have a way of building a narrative through the gameplay that I really like (like the desperate battle when the ED-209s first appear in XCOM 2012) and I've already had many moments like that that I don't want to lose.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Gespenst said:

I don't think anyone actually *liked* 3e but 3.5 was great, although it too had it's issues.

Then again if it replaces THAC0 with regular AC and attack rolls maybe it'd be more convenient. For some reason my brain just shuts down when thinking about THAC0 even if later versions are just the same thing but with positive numbers.

I can't say for sure if they do replace THAC0 or not because I hated it so much I stopped playing and uninstalled it after about an hour. They try very hard to make the items and such very 3e. I remember that I had someone wearing the Gauntlets of Ogre Power (which in 2e gives you a flat 18/00 STR). The "upgrade reduced it to +2 to STR. Since the character using them had a 12, 14 did NOTHING for her. And there were other things. But I do want to say that I think you could multi-class like you could in 3e.

Anyway, good luck.

• GespenstGespenst Member Posts: 31
    edited October 2014
    Ok, so apparently I still don't understand what's going on here. I've various things about multi and dual classing and I must have missed something because I can't figure out why Imoen isn't levelling up as a thief any more.

http://i.imgur.com/cXIejaM.jpg

Everyone who came dual classed gains levels in both classes but she seems to have stopped gain levels as a thief. I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Edit: That's because Jaheria isn't human. She's a half-elf. Jaheria is multiclassed, not dual classed.

Not sure I see the appeal in making Imoen a mage that being the case. Oh well.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    When you dual class, you no longer gain any levels ever again in the original class. Once the new class has gained one level more than the original, you regain the abilities of the old class (which were unusable while leveling up the new class). However, from then on you can only gain levels in the new class.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited October 2014
    DUAL-CLASSING:
    Under original DnD rules up through 2e (at least), ONLY HUMAN characters may DUAL-class. DUAL-classing is essentially giving up on your first career choice part-way through, and deciding to devote all your attention to becoming a different profession. Your chaotic, confused little human mind, knowing that you only have one short human lifetime to master your newly (re-)chosen calling, sot of back-shelves those incompatible skills from your initial studies.

IMPORTANT: A DUAL-classed human CANNOT earn any more skills/abilities/etc from the first class once s/he gives it up for another class / life-direction. A DUAL-classed human cannot USE any techniques/skills from his/her earlier class UNTIL their achieved level in the 2nd class EXCEEDS the higest level s/he earned in the original class. AFTER you get your new class HIGHER than your original class, you will finally have learned how to integrate your earlier learning into your new life, and you may use any of your former classes skills, AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL YOU ACHIEVED IN THAT CLASS only, forever. (In some cases, such as what max armor you may wear, "highest level achieved" is simply a toggle; "no, you may not" becomes "yes you may wear any armor you want again".

The only way that the 1st class significantly carries over into the earlier, lower level "learning" period of the new class is that the character retains all Hit Points achieved in the original class. At the same time, although Hit Points are being rolled in the background at each level-up in the new class, s/he will not add any usable additional hit points until the total Hit Points in the new class exceed the Hit Points earned in the initial class.

NOTE: There are NO beginning companion NPCs in BG1 who are DUAL-classed. Very few of the NPC companions CAN dual-class for the simple reason that most of them are NOT HUMAN.
    The characters you encounter/recruit who have abilities from two classes are all MULTI-classed demi-humans. That is a different method of progression not available to human characters, with (somewhat) similar results.

(In addition, there are some other limits on being eligible to dual class which I won't go into here. Suffice to say that Imoen is far and away the best candidate for the flexibility benefits of dual-classing among the recruitable NPCs. There are only perhaps two others that could be chosen for dual classing at all, without some stat altering artifacts.)

MULTI_CLASSING:
    ONLY NON-HUMAN (demi-human) races may MULTI-classes. Think of it as a cultural difference because they (generally) have longer lifetimes and don't feel as much pressure to master one field quickly.

MULTI-classed non-human characters begin the game with 2 (or 3) classes, with all the skills and limits of those classes. Generally that means they can use the most favorable saving throws and armor, and they can only use the more limited set of class weapons.

MULTI-classed non-human characters divide all experience gained (XP) between their declared classes evenly. They advance in each class only when the XP assigned to that class reaches the standard required amount. Essentially, they just tend to advance in levels roughly half (or one third) as fast as a single classed character, but the loss of power-gain from advancement is generally balanced by the power-gain from character flexibility and play-options.

(A 26th-ish level elf Fighter/Mage with Mirror Image, Blur, Stoneskin, Haste, Robes of Vecna, Longsword +4 and attacking with the warrior-only Greater Whirlwind High Level Ability is an awesome thing to behold.)
    Post edited by dreamrider on
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    In regards to Imoen. There probably is NO advantage to dual-classing Imoen in BG1 if you are simply looking for the strongest party to finish BG1. Just let her grow into the best damn Thief in the game. Get yourself another strong mage to handle the party's offensive magic; Edwin, or Neera, or Dynaheir; or (later) even Quayle will do.

***Spoiler Alert (Minor)***
    ***Spoiler Alert***

If you are roleplaying or semi-roleplaying with an eye to how the story runs on into BG2, it may be important to you to dual Imoen, since she ALWAYS begins BG2 as a nicely capable dual class Thief/Mage.

(NOTE: If you play the separate BG1 Tutorial, Imoen is a dual-classed Thief/Mage there.)

Somewhere between Thief levels 6-9 (opinions vary), a Thief character will have achieved all the uniquely Thief skills that are needed to support the party(s) in this saga. Some would argue that the most essential skills can be achieved to an adequate level, allowing for future temporary potion enhancement, by level 3-4.

So in the dualed Imoen (who you WILL have as a pre-scripted DUAL-class in at least significant parts of BG2/ToB), you have a character who can do all necessary party-support Thief actions (*cough* keep them out of traps *cough*), and also become a rather awesome Mage, to buff the party and toss offensive spells. Oh, and she can make herself invisible and start any rough stuff will a backstab with a nasty mage-prohibited weapon.