Skip to content

Armor Class!!!!!

Two questions:
1-What is the lowest achievable (non moded) armorclass?
2-What dose having a significantly low armor class even do, what are the perks/advantages?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    AC has no special perks other than being harder to hit. Enemy THAC0s tend to scale more than your AC in ToB though, so AC (even very low AC) isn't a very reliable form of defense... It's quite good in BG1 though.

I seem to remember that AC was capped at -25 but I might be wrong. It's definitely reachable without mods, though not exactly practical.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    On a side note, the lowest amount of AC is -20 base, without dexterity or modifiers. So you can get -26 AC on your character sheet, then apply the modifiers.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I'd sum AC up as follows: better AC is progressively better, but the uberbuffs a Blade or FM can use are better in ToB.

AC makes mooks harmless, but bosses often have better THAC0. If you run a pure Kensai, you should find mooks much more tedius, but boss fights easier.
    That's totally true @Lord_Tansheron‌

And I strongly agree about the 3 main ways to prevent physical damage, AC/Damage Reduction/Spells, the latter being the best one).

My point was only that AC is stronger the more you have, and that AC is often overlooked because most people (including me) prefer to maximise damage output with dualwielding / two handed weapons.

May I ask you what is the final THAC0 of these bosses you listed ? What isn't included in the base value ?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited October 2014
    Gotural said:

May I ask you what is the final THAC0 of these bosses you listed ? What isn't included in the base value ?

My guess would be STR bonus at the very least, possibly some item/equipment modifiers. It's hard to tell, but some definitely do have weapons equipped and the appropriate proficiency points allocated.

They also have class/kit set, which can matter. Balthazar e.g. is an actual Monk and should receive THAC0 bonuses to fist attacks etc.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    here is how thac0 works in game, say you look at a boss using ee keeper and it says the boss has -10 base thac0, then you fight said boss and you look at the little dialogue window and it shows the boss' to hit roll ex.; 9 + 10 = 19 : Hit , that +10 gets added to that -10 thac0 roll, so in this example his actual thac0 would be -20, but say you are wearing a certain type of armor and use protection from evil, and say improved invisible then it might read like this; 9 + 1 = 10 : Hit, now has effective thac0 is -11, that second number in the "to hit" line is the bonus or penalty a character has on their base thac0, so say you have a character with 0 base thac0 and you look at his "to hit" line in battle and say he gets +10, that means his actual thac0 is -10, i remember one time seeing abazigal hit me with a 2 in his human form, because i believe his main thac0 is -19 and my AC at the time was -14 but he still had a +7 on his "to hit" line, so 2 + 7 = 9 : Hit ,makes sense if his base is -10 and he gets that +7 which makes his main thac0 -19, and then of coarse if you roll a 2 you can hit something with -21 AC so yeah, abazigal in human form, isn't going to miss with a 2 or higher :) , but still the AC thing, i usually hit around -15 or so with my melee guys, and that is a mountain load better than -10 in ToB, the defference between -10 to -15 could mean that enemies might even miss with 5s, and on the highest difficulty where enemies are dealing some serious damage, having their chances of missing even a little bit higher could be the difference between defeat and victory
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    Since you are often fighting semi-hordes of lesser enemies, they will score tons and tons of 20's on you (often enough to make you wonder if the game is cheating), so armor class will never make you feel invincible. The baddies that you should actually be worried about will manage to hit you even if your AC is in the negative teens, so again it'll feel futile. Then there are magic users, which your AC is irrelevant against. I've never tried to get my main frontliner beyond -10, if even that far.
    edited December 2015
    Well right know I'm in ToB with my Blackguard and if I'm buffed enough, my AC is nearly impossible to hit. And I didn't sacrifice anything damage wise (I'm dualwielding).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The AC cap is -20 absent any modifiers. The other things that can reduce AC beyond that cap include:

1. Single Weapon Style: -1 or -2
    2. Dexterity: -4 for 18 DEX, or -6 for 24 or 25 DEX
    3. Protection from Evil: -2
    4. Damage-specific modifiers:
    Crushing: Girdle of Bluntness, Potions of Absorption
    Piercing: Girdle of Piercing, Full Plate Mail and various others
    Slashing: Golden Girdle, most plate armors
    Missile: Girdle of Piercing, Boots of Avoidance, various armors

You can also effectively increase your AC by penalizing the enemy's THAC0. This can be done with the Slow spell, Called Shot, or the Unholy Reaver.

It's very easy to reach that cap with bard songs, and very hard to do it without. I forget who it was, but somebody also discovered that it's possible to make the Slayer change permanent by using Mirror Image to block the damage (it almost always works), and the Slayer trick is an excellent way of reaching that low AC. It also works with the improved Slayer forms and Ravager form from the Ascension mod.
    edited December 2015
    Another great thing which will improve your AC beyond the normal cap is Improved Invisibility (and the others similar spells), -4 is huge. I especially love Mass Invisibility I think it is an awesome (probably a bit too strong) spell, -4 AC -4 saves for everyone plus you cannot be targeted directly by spells.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Gotural said:

Another great thing which will improve your AC beyond the normal cap is Improved Invisibility (and the others similar spells), -4 is huge. I especially love Mass Invisibility I think it is an awesome (probably a bit too strong) spell, -4 AC -4 saves for everyone plus you cannot be targeted directly by spells.

kind of hit and miss on being "too powerful" per se, a lot of enemy spell casters do have true sight, and it is a level 7 spell, but I agree, its probably one of the best level 7 spells arcane casters can cast