Skip to content

[Windows] [Steam] Bg2ee crashes on launch, Bgee does not

I am able to run bgee but unable to run bg2ee,
I have reinstalled, checked files, DEP, compatibility, I've run as an admin, and run all the steam recommended checks, refreshed my openAL etc,
running windows 7 on a dell n5510

I've attached my crashdumps but have no real idea where to go

thanks for looking

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Has it ever run @magetite‌ or is this the first time you've tried.

There are a few known items, so questions below.

Do you have sound enabled - BGII:EE lets you get to the SoA / ToB / BPII selection screen, selecting one of those options with no sound device will see it stop responding and then close. BG:EE seems to be a bit more tolerant in this regard.

Have you rebooted since installing. A few people have reported crashing that was resolved by a reboot after installation.
  • magetitemagetite Member Posts: 4
    It used to run fine, i don't know why it stopped working, bgee said openAL failure and i sorted that, bgee2 just stopped,

to clarify, the load fails before the SoA/ToB/BPII selection screen, the screen goes black, as though loading, then clears, resolution and color palette are changed and an error message is showing, color etc resolve after "ok" ing the error message, i have rebooted i don't know if sound is enabled it's reasonably likely either way
    If BG:EE or anything else plays sound then BGII:EE should be fine in that regard.

Couple more things you could check if it isn't sound.
    1. Renaming the Baldur.ini file, which for Steam I believe is under documents then the game name. Should create a new copy to check whether the original has some sort of issue.
    2. Renaming the entire folder in the above step. Also rules out save games, portraits, characters.
    heya :) sorry slow, away all weekend,
    just tried renaming both the .ini files and the folder, game crashes in the same manner
    Hmm, struggling. Racks brain...

Does sound work in BG:EE.
    When you re-installed BGII:EE was it from a fresh download or a local copy.
    Have you tried switching from fullscreen to windowed mode or vice versa (Alt/Enter at first splash screen).
    What graphics card & driver does the machine have.
    If you start BG:EE and go to Options > Graphics what are do the first 3 lines there say (e.g. screenshot)?
    I'm struggling a bit too hence being on forum xD
    I reinstalled it fresh but didnt wipe my saves or anything
    tried alt/enter