Skip to content

Lore-based Question: Khalid & the Harpers

So, I'm fooling around with a Bard on NWN2, and I realise that I've accidentally made myself eligible to take the Harper prestige class.

This gets me thinking about Jaheira and, more to the point, Khalid...
Now the NWN2 engine requires spellcasting ability in order to become a Harper which, as a basic scrapper, Khalid does not have.

So, to any Lore-savvy bods, is Khalid a legit Harper? Is the spellcasting requirement just an edition-specific thing?
Or, do I now have reasonable grounds to keeper Khalid into something more interesting (in the same way as I do with Minsc)?

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited October 2014
    DreadKhan said:

The biggest restriction Harpers have is their stricture against disrupting balance... its very important to the Harpers that memebrs do not actually, you know, DO anything.

Rogues are good at not doing things, casters are usually the best, but Fighters are capable of not doing things too, they just have to work harder at it.

If not doing things is the key imperative, Khalid certainly has the right attitude for the job...
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited October 2014
    There are actually various Harper prestige classes for Harpers.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Harper

"Most members are either good/neutral-aligned rangers or bards, though many wizards and druids are also their willing allies. Five prestige classes are tied to the Harpers including the Harper paragon, Harper mage, Harper priest, Harper agent and Master Harper. It should be noted that this wiki considers Harper agent and Harper scout to be the same prestige class in two different versions of the game (3.5 and 3rd, respectively). "

Also the Harper Agent PrC is utter garbage. It has no idea what it wants to be, giving you nothing important and requires two useless feats as well as some other stuff.

Even if it had no requirements and took it as a Bard, it would be setting 5 Bard levels on fire.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Interesting that Master Harper is a prestige class, isn't that what Jaheria becomes in BG2 and Elminster gives her that pin? (May be related to her romance plot line)
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Elzarath, I don't think the diaologue states that she becomes a Master Harper when Terminsel appears and gives her the pin, and the pin is simply called Harper Pin (not Master Harper Pin, like there is a Master Harper Amulet you can get in ToB). But you could of course roleplay the event as the moment in which she becomes a Master Harper.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Oh that's what it was! Yep, thanks for the correction, got my wires crossed there
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Didn't they meet each other on harper business to start with? She mentions it in the SoA romance, no?
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I'm a card-carrying member of the Mellotroneers, myself.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Now we see why 3rd edition prestige classes aren't necessarily the best way to represent whole organisations...
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Eh, I love the fact that certain organizations have unique skill sets/talents.

It just so happens that the Harper PrCs aren't much better than Adept levels, while the Zhent Skymage is a total boss. Zhent Spy is pretty solid too actually, very good RP utility.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    ...They're not supposed to do that anyway.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    scriver said:

Not all of them, sure, but the Harper Agent certainly seems to be meant to.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Calmar said:

scriver said:

Not all of them, sure, but the Harper Agent certainly seems to be meant to.
    Except the big founder himself didn't take any levels in it?? Not seeing your point.