Skip to content

So, I've just whiped out Alatos' entire thieves guild

Normally, no matter what character class or alignment I'm playing, I always feel compelled to agree to work for Alatos when he summons you to his thieves guild. After all, when you work for Alatos,
1. You meet some helpful and colorful companions in Narlen and Husam.
2. You get to take part in some unique and interesting side quests.
3. You can buy some useful magical items and potions from Black Lily.

But this time, I'm playing as a good-aligned barbarian, and I'm RPing more diligently than I ever have before. I imagine my character as being strong-willed, principled, and defiant (which is something of a welcome change of pace for me, since I've usually RP'd my characters as being naive or timid) - so when Alatos summons her to his guild and attempts to apply his sinister charm (and also after Ajantis detects evil from some of the guild members), she is quick to make her displeasure known.

Tensions quickly rise as my barbarian maintains her refusal to work for Alatos.
Although surrounded on all sides by a battalion of bloodthirsty buccaneers, with daggers at the ready to plunge into her party members' backs, and openly threatened with death if she continues to defy their wishes, my barbarian remains firm in her convictions and tells Alatos to bugger off. That's when all hell breaks loose.

Within mere moments, my party has achieved what the City Guard has been unable to do in probably decades. One by one, the thieves fall to our hands.

Alatos is chunked to pieces by a blow from my barbarian's halberd.
Hey Alatos, say "hello" to Revenant for me! - I'm sure that you two will have a lot to talk about.

A well-placed arrow from Imoen, and Resar follows in his accomplice's footsteps.

Then came battles with Narlen and Husam. Knowing what I know from prior playthroughs, I felt somewhat awkward and remorseful about having to kill them - but then, I suppose that's the price that you pay for being a dedicated RPer.

Husam proved to be surprisingly sturdy (I suppose that all that liquor grants an extra con bonus?), but eventually a solid halberd hit shattered him like fine china.

Sorry, Black Lily. You're a good saleswoman, but this is just a bad night for business.
Besides, I get the feeling that there may be something useful in that barrel behind you...

Comments

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2014
    I think you can actually just get Alatos to agro you by himself if you finish Narlen's quest line before talking to him. I haven't killed the thieves guild in a long time however.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    It would have been kind of interesting if there had been an epilogue in the game that considered actions like this, you know the kind of power vacuum that would be created by wiping out most (if not all) of the thieves guild. It would be interesting to see if this really would have improved the city at all in the long term or in fact made things worse.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

Those guys need a serious buff.

I agree whole heartedly. IIRC Alatos was also crippled in bgt games, and perhaps even in the original, with like straight 3s in all stats. I wonder if he is fixed in Bg:ee. Still, he puts as much a fight as a (diseased) gibberling, which is sad.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    lunar said:

Still, he puts as much a fight as a (diseased) gibberling, which is sad.

Maybe if he hadn't left the Heart of the Golem inside Revenant's body...

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    So, now you can dance on the head of a pin as well, @SharGuidesMyHand‌
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    elminster said:

It would have been kind of interesting if there had been an epilogue in the game that considered actions like this, ...

It would've been interesting if there had been an epilogue at all!

After all, you've just found out that you are a god-in-the making - no big deal!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited March 2018
    Just did this fight. My paladin did not want to work with him and he threatened me.

But now... no Black Lilly! :(

Still, I feel good about taking roleplaying seriously. However, this fight was pathetically easy.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I swear I've read that before finishing the game, this bit sounds so familiar,

"even as you lay troubled in whatever Inn you find yourself".

I'm sure it's why I have always thought that charname carries on much as before after BG and why I have a problem with SOD presuming that "everybody" knows about charname.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    So...

What route gives more XP? The quests or the slaughtering?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I love this post.

Great job on your RP-run!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited March 2018
    Raduziel said:

So...

What route gives more XP? The quests or the slaughtering?

The quest gives more XP, but my paladin's refusal to perform armed robbery feels right.
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
  • RigelRigel Member Posts: 251
    Interesting - I am presently running a CG barbarian as well, and she had the same problem with the guild. She is a bit ill-tempered and does not like when one threatens her and particularly when this comes from people she has just met.
    @SharGuidesMyHand I read your other posts about your barbarian and I agree completely with them. I had the same interaction with Aldeth - first I agreed and then when I discovered what he did to the druids I did support them. My barbarian (Lyllia FIrestorm) doesn't like particularly violence it's just that she hates injustice and too much civilized people (she finds them hypocritical). As well she may suffer a bit from claustrophobia - and she has a tendency to burst off when she feels cornered particularly in confined environments (which is a bit problematical in dungeons ...). She is far from being idiot (Int 16), but she is a bit naive and particularly doesn't like pompous windbag (that's what she says to Ravenscar). And to be honest, she hates sneaking and backstabbing.
    Back to CK she was a bit of a feral kid. She really loved Gorion but felt all the time the need to climb on the walls, to fight with stable boys. She learnt to read quickly and read a lot of books about great adventurers of the past, but she was not attracted at all to magic. SHe knew of a secret passage which allowed her sometimes to get away a couple of hours from CK and run freely in the woods. But of course, her fate was sealed the day a barbarian from Icewind Dale came to CK...
    Oh boy - another one bites the dust ... this time Jalantha Mistmyr. Lyllia did not want a conflict with the Umberlee's temple, but Jalantha was too aggressive and her remarks on the poor boy's body made Lyllia mad. She tried to keep quiet but after the priestess attacked her she swung her axe and killed her. Really, she does not feel very well in the city ...
    And I forgot to mention Takiyah in Cloakwood. Usually I do not play with Jaheira (in BG1) so when I arrive to Cloakwood I smooth my way with the Shadow druids. And this time, I planned to take Faldorn in my team. And there comes Takiyah, who said "Tell me true lest you feed the trees from below!"""
    This was not good, of course. You don't speak like that to a band of adventurers lead by a fiery looking red haired woman holding an axe in her hand.

What could Lylliah answer but "" I don't have to tell you anything. I go where I wish!""
    And all hell breaks loose ... and afterwards I could not really go and look for Faldorn.