Skip to content

Blade spells

Hello everyone,

I just started a new game with a Blade. I have a quick question: when do they get spells.

I started with none (int is 16/cha 18)( No idea if they are suppose to start with any). I can scribe new spells but cannot memorize any. So I am wondering when I can start casting?

I'm new to this class, so just double checking that it isn't a glitch.

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Bards get their first spell at level 2.

For a complete overview of Bards' spell prgression you might want to check out: http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts
  • scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87
    Thanks
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Blade spells (what to choose):

Protection from Evil, Shield -> Mirror Image, Blur -> Ghost Armor, Minor Spell Deflection -> Stoneskin

All this, combined with the Offensive Spin, just makes the Blade an ultimate power machine

Also, gulp several potions of Genius and/or of Mind Focusing to make your INT 24 in order to successfully scribe any spell you want.
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    Skeleton Warriors are your friend as a Blade, i also like to combine Entangle with some sword spiders.....
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    You mean Web with spiders. ;)
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    yep!
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Just remember that you aren't wearing a helmet, so you can and likely will get hit very hard on occasion. You have all the tools to all but dominate the entire game from start to finish, but there are weaknesses that you have to work around and prepare for.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    bengoshi said:

Blade spells (what to choose):

Protection from Evil, Shield -> Mirror Image, Blur -> Ghost Armor, Minor Spell Deflection -> Stoneskin

All this, combined with the Offensive Spin, just makes the Blade an ultimate power machine

Also, gulp several potions of Genius and/or of Mind Focusing to make your INT 24 in order to successfully scribe any spell you want.

This completely discounts the blades offensive spell potential as one of the highest caster level classes in BG1.
    Lateralus said:

Just remember that you aren't wearing a helmet, so you can and likely will get hit very hard on occasion. You have all the tools to all but dominate the entire game from start to finish, but there are weaknesses that you have to work around and prepare for.

By which it is usually meant to have have lots of HP. Find Familiar and 16 constitution as a bare minimum. Preferably 18 con so you can wear a particular item without penalty.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The problem with relying on offensive magic with a Blade is you will get steamrolled in melee. :s You don't have the slots to do both very well, so for a Blade, which is significantly melee oriented, its intuitive to use buffs and just melee, relying on wands and items for firepower. If you have an additional mage, they should have slots aplenty.

I would agree a Jester should use a much more artillery-like approach, with MM, MMM maybe and FB or ST for area damage.