Skip to content

Wait what... (Composite Longbow + Bards = nope???)

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
Ok, so first of all, I have no idea where a thread like this is supposed to go, but...

Wth, so deciding to play a bard that isn't a Blade for once, I decided to roll a skald with 18 Strength. Start the game, build up the gold to purchase a composite bow and... 'Not usable by: Bard' @_@

I'm frankly confused here. Is this a PnP thing? If so I can't find it anywhere, albeit there's a lot I can't find based on ADnD rules. Seriously? Considering Bards are the only non-warrior class able to wield any type of weapon, not being able to use a comp. longbow but a normal longbow is just bizarre. It's not going to be a big deal later in BG1, but I was looking forward to that +2 bonus damage for the early game. Can someone tune me in as to whether this is right? If so I'll be very sad.

I suppose I should be more shocked that I haven't realized this despite over a decade of playing this game. Fie on me.
kcwise

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i guess they dont want bards to be too versitile
    kcwise
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    That's what bards are for, though...
    RAM021kcwise
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    There's the Eagle Shot Longbow from the bandit camp iirc that'll be the best bow for a bard. It has +3 att, +2 dam compared to a comp long now +1 with +2 and +3.

So, not a big deal.
    JuliusBorisovkcwise
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    This rule really pissed me off.

Bards can use any weapon in AD&D 2E. The composite long bow is no exception.

Soren_The_WildRAM021kcwise
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Wowo said:

There's the Eagle Shot Longbow from the bandit camp iirc that'll be the best bow for a bard. It has +3 att, +2 dam compared to a comp long now +1 with +2 and +3.

So, not a big deal.

That's actually the Longbow of Marksmanship +2 that is found in the bandit camp. The Eagle Bow is a shortbow.
    JuliusBorisovkcwise
  • FinalOgreFinalOgre Member Posts: 7
    I too find this very annoying... can anyone clue us in on why the developers decided a class that supposed to be able to use any weapon can't use just this one?
    kcwise
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Isn't there an unreasonably high STR restriction on composite bows as well?

And is it really that big a deal given everything that Bards get anyway? Spell Casting, thieving, (almost) any weapon and a relatively decent chance to hit with them, AND songs? Boo hoo.
    kcwise
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

Isn't there an unreasonably high STR restriction on composite bows as well?

And is it really that big a deal given everything that Bards get anyway? Spell Casting, thieving, (almost) any weapon and a relatively decent chance to hit with them, AND songs? Boo hoo.

It requires 18 STR, and the bard in question has that STR.
    kcwiseOzzyBotkins
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Which is quite an unreasonable STR restriction.

This thread should probably have gone in general discussion. Anyways, someone can probably give you instructions how to remove this restriction. @CrevsDaak?
    the_spyderkcwise
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    GoodSteve said:

Wowo said:

So, not a big deal.

That's actually the Longbow of Marksmanship +2 that is found in the bandit camp. The Eagle Bow is a shortbow.
    Right, that one. So with that longbow you're basically equivalent to a comp long bow and it's early enough in the game for my tastes anyway.

JuliusBorisovkcwise
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    It makes perfect sense when you think about how overpowered bards are already...
    the_spyder