Skip to content

How does Tome of Strenght work on 17 STR warriors?

Does it raise STR to 18/00, or is /XX part randomly decided?

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    You go to flat 18 STR, not exceptional STR is rolled IIRC.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @decado‌ is right: Giving a warrior with 17 STR the Tome of Strenght will only result in a straight 18, without the exceptional strength component.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/264960/#Comment_264960

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/152818/#Comment_152818
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    That would seem to be a flaw in the game. However, how many times do you think it shows itself? Probably not a lot.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    Thank you for the replies.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @the_spyder‌ No, you're only supposed to roll for exceptional str at creation. Not a flaw.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    But, whatever 18/xx you have, it automatically goes at 19.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Archaos said:

But, whatever 18/xx you have, it automatically goes at 19.

Why is that? I noticed in IWD (in vanilla, don't have EE version) that with strength boosting items it only raises the exceptional value.

Eg. Warrior with 18/52 strength equips item with +1 strength and it increases it to 18/53. Which way is correct, the BG or IWD way? Or is it one of those funny rules where they are both sorta correct depending how you look at it?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Well, the IWD way is wrong. If anything a bonus to Exceptional (18/XX) STR should move the character up to the next tier such that an 18/52 should increase to 18/75 (I think) or whatever the value is where they get more bonus. Obviously, if the next tier WAS +1, it would be correct, but not otherwise.

As for the BG way, was probably done the way it was so that non-fighters who can't have an /XX value wouldn't get a better thing (18-19) than Fighter types (18/55 - 18/75). I actually like the BG way more than the 'Standard' IWD way.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Thanks man. Yeah, I prefer the BG way too