Skip to content

Custom Portaits for New Characters?

Just started a new game, am i missing the custom portrait selection button? All i see are the standard portraits.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm sure it's like with BGEE and BG2EE.

In order for your portraits to show up in IWDEE, you must place them in an specific folder, named "Portraits" (without quotes). This folder is not created when the game is installed, so you must create it yourself.

On Windows: go to your User(s) folder. You know, the one that has My Music, My Pictures, and so on. Now follow this path: My Documents > Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition. That's where you must create your Portraits folder.

Portraits for IWDEE should be 24-bit bitmaps (.BMP).

The optimal size is 210x330 pixels. Keep it at a minimum of 169x266, to prevent blurred images.

Images can be larger than that, but no wider than 1024 pixels

You can name your portraits however you want, as long as you follow these rules:

· NO spaces.
    · Between 1 and 7 characters (not counting the size letter, see below)
    · End with the letter L, M or S, according to size.

e.g.: alveusL.bmp (large), alveusM.bmp (medium), alveusS.bmp (small).
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    @bengoshi

thanks for clearing that up. For some reason i had been placing my portraits in the 00798 directory not the one you mentioned, lol this clears thing up for me in BG and BG2 EE's as well ;)

good to know customs sounds still go in (this case)
    XXX:\Program Files (x86)\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition\Data\00798\lang\en_US\sounds

now i am ready to butt kick for goodness :)

• CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    420x660 px. is optimal for the large. 169x266 px. for medium.

(BTW: It is hard for me to find any good custom portraits. They are mostly cropped too close, and shows only the face...)