Skip to content

IWD:EE Difficulty options

I'm used to playing on Insane or at least Hard difficulty, however I don't recall from the original IWD (please correct me if I'm wrong and sorry if it's the case) that you got XP bonuses playing on higher difficulties. Is there a way to turn the XP bonuses off? Seems to me that otherwise you will level much faster making the whole thing easier anyway and defeating the point of turning up the difficulty...

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I agree, it's a bad call putting in XP bonuses.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    You did get bonuses to xp in the original. Double XP in the case of "insane". I just tested it now and I got 8000 xp in the original for killing Kieran on insane (he normally gives 4000).
  • ComplyOrDieComplyOrDie Member Posts: 41
    Well, in that case fair enough for having it in and I guess it didn't bother me ten years ago. Having said that if there was a way or an option to change it I'd gladly take it.
    To be honest that would probably make core the hardest setting.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    I believe the XP increases were added by the HoW expansion where they not?
  • DecoyCodeDecoyCode Member Posts: 5
    Don't worry too much about the XP bonuses, there's more than just increased health and damage from difficulty. Oddly enough, since the XP makes you level faster, some of the level scaling kicks in as well to make it... different, not necessarily harder.
    Yeah I'll give it a go on hard as a happy medium and see how it goes I suppose. I'd better die!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I will play on the medium setting. Seems like the best option.
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    edited October 2014
    In the original game higher difficulty also meant more spawns, for even more ferocious battles and XP.

Edit: I think this still applies, can anyone confirm?
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited October 2014
    Core difficulty isn't really that hard. Without the bite of double damage, it's easy to just create a party that will get hit only on an enemy roll of 20 (of course Critical Hit averted by a Helmet) and shrug that damage off if it happens. Insane's 200% damage modifier more than compensates for the extra experience.

Anything you do that'll make Core difficulty actually difficult will more likely make Insane even more difficult because the threat of lethal damage is a lot more real.
    edited October 2014
    @Zyzzogeton‌ I disagree. It's fairly easy to avoid suffering damage. Hence, damage multipliers do not affect difficulty overmuch. The big effect is only during the early game.

EDIT: and increased xp gain means you unlock the tools for avoiding damage sooner on insane difficulty...
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited October 2014
    And whatever damage gets through in Core because of less damage avoidance options is much less of a concern because it's not as lethal. So the difficulties are at least balanced, with Insane (once the party is practically invulnerable or at least equally vulnerable, because there are just times when a Level X and a Level X+1 Party isn't really all that different) having an edge with extremely bad luck with the RNG

But as the player reduces their usage of damage avoidance spells/equipment, Insane can get messy pretty quickly compared to Core.
    edited October 2014
    Right so thanks for the replies everyone although I must admit I'm now more confused about what setting to go for. I'll freely admit my expectations are ruined by the availability of SCS for the baldurs gate series

I want the most challenge I can manage from this game starting with a level one party. I'm unlikely to play it more than once for a long time. The way hard and insane are described make me think it would be harder for a few levels but then I'd have way too many options too early for harder hitting goblins or yuan ti. Does difficulty affect encounters in other ways, and if so, is it simply double the number of enemies for random spawns which with the bonus do would frankly quickly make things easier yet again, or does it improve boss and creature levels. If it does do this, how. If it doesn't, it seems like a very silly difficulty slider that quite possibly makes the game easier in many ways overall (I appreciate not ees introduction but still, please can I change it). As a final question what about heart of fury mode, I was under the impression this also gives massive xp bonuses so would be frustrating as hell for two levels and then same as above. Thanks for all the input.
    And sorry for my grammar and punctuation, phones suck.
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    I think that insane is the hardest difficulty, especially because of the added monsters. It is not easy to manage hordes of enemies attacking your party from different directions. You get that quite a lot in IWD.
  • SigleafSigleaf Member Posts: 22
    I had a similar issue when I was playing IWD a year or so ago and wanted the hardest playthrough possible (lets face it, after you've played DND games for awhile you can steamroll them).

I would suggest waiting for a character editor, and then making a full party, using the editor to make your entire party have enough XP for lvl 6-8. Put the difficulty on HoW mode, do not give party any gear, and enjoy.

Reason for these settings. HoW mode is by far the definitive difficulty in the game that will make your battles ALL truly epic, even the goblins at the start, the problem with this is though that you cannot start a new game with HoW unless you cheese with summons/etc. By giving your starting party lvls 6-8, they will have enough HP to survive attacks but still won't be overpowered because they wont have the +2 endgame gear, thus providing a challenge without the grief of being 1 shot by goblins outside the gates.

I played through IWD entirely with these settings and I had an immensely enjoyable experience that provided an epic challenge.

I am not sure how well this would work on the IWD EE as the new classes and kits may prove to be different but regardless HoW mode is there and if you plan on using it you really cannot approach it with a party that is level 1.
    It's also worth noting that the XP bonus you gain in HoW mode evens out fairly early on so the "cheating" of giving your starting characters the xp needed for lvl 6-8 is hardly anything once you get tin the teens. This style of play is really to just make the beginning of the game enjoyable on HoW without wanting to pull out your hair. =D
    So probably fair to say HoF mode has a decent curve once you get going? Quite a few of these 'hardmodes' tend to be annoying for a few levels then become a joke but if it's reasonably well thought out might just do that .

You mean HoF, not HoW.

correct, thanks for correction

So probably fair to say HoF mode has a decent curve once you get going? Quite a few of these 'hardmodes' tend to be annoying for a few levels then become a joke but if it's reasonably well thought out might just do that .

HoF mode you won't have any issues with it becoming a "joke" simply how it is balanced. Problem with just setting the game on hard or insane is exactly what you are saying, you get more xp so eventually the mobs increased damage/whatever wont matter because of your massive dmg and high AC.

By doing the game on HoF you ensure mobs will always have massive hps, their THACO will always be high enough to hit you unless you plan your buffs appropriately, and because youre not importing items you are avoiding the tediousness of dieing in 1 hit when you only have 8 HP but ensuring long drawn out combat.

Later on in the game mages will be integral to your survival and you will routinely have to buff.
    @Sigleaf That's a fun alternative for sure.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I got through most of HoF with a not entirely min maxed party, that was pretty fun. I kept constitutions as high as mattered though and my frontliner still had that 18 dex.

The temptation of the seductive Dark Side, erm, I mean the urge to min-max, is strong with Icewind Dale. I haven't successfully tried to use realistic stats yet, according to the wise teachings of Good Side masters like Yoda, erm, I mean, @Sigleaf‌ .

::finger hovering over + and - buttons:: Must...resist...urge...to...make...18 STR...18 DEX...18CON...urghh!

Haha, in the context of BG1/2 games it makes sense because your character is all powerful, but think of IWD2 as a game of average adventurers doing grand things!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I just rolled a party of four with an undead hunter, a pure class thief, a priest of Lathander, and a sorcerer. None of them have 18 STR-18 DEX-18 CON. I'm playing on core rules. The game is now appropriately challenging.

Before, I was playing with min-maxed characters, all of whom were multi-classed with fighter. I had the difficulty slider set on hard. The game was boringly easy.

If you min-max your stats and multi-class every character, the game is going to be easy no matter what difficulty setting you use.

If you want a challenge, make every character a pure class, and have no more than one 18 stat on any character. That's how you balance the game - turning up the difficulty slider actually makes the game easier because of experience bonuses. Your multi-class and dual-class munchkins with the game on hard or insane will outlevel and overpower everything by the time you reach Kuldahar. That's a recipe for boredom.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I'm playing on core with pure class ranger, cleric, bard, thief, Mage, and druid. Have already gotten spanked a couple of times in that first cave outside of Easthaven. I'm personally not too worried about this game getting too easy! My couple of attempts to play the original version ended in tears and frustration even with it set to lower difficulties. I didn't min/max too much, maybe a little, but I did get some pretty good rolls ( no one is under 84 or so total). We'll see how this goes....
  • Jitk0kJitk0k Member Posts: 1
    I tried a new game, enter a zone in Heart of Fury mode and then change the difficulty to story mode. One Character can get to level 5 or 6 before the Orc cave. You get 2000 xp per orc, Invunerability and Regeneration. Your not invincible but you can take a beating, get heaps of xp and the HOF Epic loot.

In the original HOF mode was not accessible inside the game for this reason. What you need is a Paladin (Draw Upon Holy Might) a good set of attributes and your set.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Jitk0k said:

In the original HOF mode was not accessible inside the game for this reason.

I feel that this would be a very necessary change. Turning on HoF for easy packs to leech crazy XP just screams for abuse.

In fact, I feel HoF can be quite cheesy in general. It's trivial to get through the Easthaven quests with HoF on, and you get RIDICULOUS amounts of XP basically for free. It does get harder later on, but since you can just turn it off at will it's sooo easy to "abuse" if you're not adhering to strict self-control.

That being said, playing through on HoF CONSISTENTLY is quite the challenge in the early game; or, perhaps, a bit of a grind. The incredibly binary nature of AC makes it a tick too annoying for my taste, you stand there avoiding everything and then they roll a 20 and you die, or nearly die. Makes large packs very prone to random rolls, not sure if like...