Skip to content

Noob party questions(cookies inside)

darkcrab34darkcrab34 Member Posts: 19
I know I know, ANOTHER one of these...but i gotta admit im an Icewind noob and really would like some help. Now im an old school Bg/Bg2 player, but i admit to missing on this gem of a game. I really wanna setup a solid party, given how hard ive heard this game can get, so ANY help would be appreciated.

Without further ado.

1. Human Undead hunter: 2 handed sword- I admit i researched this a tad, and while I don't USUALLY play classes i find situational, ive been told this game has metric tons of undead. Besides ive an RP idea for him that totally doesn't involve whips, and chucking crosses like boomerangs.

2. Half elf Bard: Longbow/dagger- Bards....useful? Ok i admit this is my other sorta forum pick. Ive never seen nor heard of bards being good, GOTTA see this, besides all parties need comic relief.

3. Half orc Cleric of Tempus: flail/shield style: I wanted to make a battle cleric, who could cast/fight when needed. Going half orc means more battle stats effectively and the tempus abilities were quite cool. Can this kit multi class at all?

4. Fighter/thief: Dual weilding longswords: I admit this is a throwback to my Favorite build in BG1, back when it came in 5 discs. Can it still work, and if so whens a good point to multi class?

5. Avenger: Dual weild Scimitars: A friend told me about this, curious if it works as a druid is another class I never fiddled much with.

6. Wild mage: I LOVED the wild mage char in the recent enhanced games, was gonna remake it naturally.

6b: Bezerker/mage: Dunno between this and wild mage listed above.

Well, can this work out? Thanks for any help in advance......ill have cookies ready >.>

Edit: Gonna sleep...got work than ima get 2-3 days off to chew into this game

Comments

• FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    Looks great to me. Veer similar to my party. A couple tweaks:

If you really want a battle cleric: you will have to go multiclass fighter cleric. Pure class clerics aren't good at Melee in the long run.

For your paladin, consider going long swords. The ultimate weapon in this game is a pally only long sword.

I'll take oatmeal raisin, please.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    i agree with frogman if u really want battle cleric go fighter/cleric
    i don't know how iwd:ee bg2:ee is in comparison with each other with subclasses but something like berserker3/cleric could be enough to buff your cleric with some battle skills

for your bard i would suggest bow/lance so you can be melee but still protected by armored guis in front of you

in oryginal iwd druids were the best tanks in water elemental forms -50% all damage except lightning i think so buffed drood could tank bosses and kick them hard too! but with all the EE i don't know if there are still there
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Came for cookies. Left disappointed.
  • darkcrab34darkcrab34 Member Posts: 19
    Nimran said:

But the cookies are RIGHT there....

ALso for a fighter/thief whats a good point to multiclass the fighter?

Ty for the advice so far though.
    Nimran said:

But the cookies are RIGHT there....

Ty for the advice so far though.
    Hmm ill try a fighter/cleric or a zerk/cleric but Im curious about one thing. For the fighter/thief, whens a good time to start multiclassing that character?
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    Multiclassing? Right from the start. If you mean a human dual classing then lvl 9 fighter sounds about right.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    9 doesn't really do anything significant other than the last big HP roll and CON bonus which is minor in the long run.

7 gives the extra .5 APR 13 gives the other .5 APR. Other than that 2 merely for access to Grandmastery and 21 for 0 THAC0
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited November 2014
    The question is, how much of a cost is there for going with 9 over 7 for dual. I agree that the bonuses aren't spectacular, but they're there. You also get an extra proff pip, and an extra use of your kit ability (Kai or Enrage; Kensai also get an extra dmg/thac0 kit bonus). The cost of course is 186k XP, which is less than one level at 10+ fighter.

Now, I'm not too sure about how much XP is floating around in IWD (not yet anyway) but I'm reasonably sure you can get to HLA levels, which means 3m+. In the scheme of that, I think that 186k might be a cheap enough cost for what you get.

Going for lvl 13 (or gods forbid 21) is a MUCH steeper cost; lvl 13 is already 1.25m XP, and you need to regain those levels, too... 1/2 APR is probably not worth that sacrifice, particularly since it seems IWD is using the +1 APR GM model (and features several +APR weapons).

That being said, I'm not even sure I like dual over multi all that much in IWD, except perhaps in full-sized parties. It was very easy to dual in BG2 because you basically started at lvl 8 and had tons of free XP floating around (scrolls/traps/locks give NO xp in IWD, nor does there seem to be per-character quest XP rewards), not to mention very strong items available early and easily.

I'm still hard at work testing things out, so that's just my preliminary findings and/or speculative theory. There's also the whole HoF issue which may change things up significantly, I'll definitely keep on testing and trying things out.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

You shouldn't confuse "Dual-Class" with "Multi-Class", the two are completely different things. Only Humans can Dual-Class, which means that one class stops progressing when you switch over to another. But some races can Multi-Class, meaning they can progress at more than one class at a time continuosly.