Skip to content

Hold Person overkill

Ok, I played IWD many many years ago, and wanted to give it a new try with EE.
What really annoys me is that EVERY spellcaster you go against in the first parts of the game uses Hold Person against you. Again. And again. And again. And it works every single time. If you dont have remove paralysis memorized or your cleric is out for whatever reason that means reload time.
And again. And again. Is there no proactiv protaction against this utterly annoying spell?

Comments

• SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    You can pickpocket Rings of Free Action from Arundel and Orrick the Grey as soon as you reach Kuldahar. They give you immunity to Hold Person. The same with the gravedigger in Lonelywood.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Lanatir said:

If you dont have remove paralysis memorized or your cleric is out for whatever reason that means reload time.

Reload time? What reload time?
    Lanatir said:

Is there no proactiv protaction against this utterly annoying spell?

Hit them while they're casting the spell. Make the character they are targeting turn invisible/sanctuaried while they are casting the spell. Animate dead so they waste their hold person spells on things that can't be held. Cast Free Action. Cast Chaotic Commands. Silence them. Blind them. Deafen them. Cast Summon Insects/Insect Plague on them. Cast Miscast Magic on them.

Are you still stuck?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    My party leader is an undead hunter immune to hold, which makes me feel warm and fuzzy. So, that's one solution to back up your cleric. Have your cleric memorize Remove Paralysis in case your thief or mage gets Held, and have a pally kit with immunity to Hold. I think that's undead hunter or inquisitor.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    You can also have mages memorize and cast any form of invisibility on the held party member, the said member will then serve as an invisible wall and remain safe until either Hold Person or Invisibility has worn off.
  • ShynShyn Member Posts: 73
    Every spell in the game that is used against you, has some way to be countered by the player. So if you feel you are reloading again and again, you probably need to rethink your tactics... The possibilities are nearly endless.
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    edited November 2014
    This is my first time playing IWD, and I'm running into this as well. It's pretty annoying - most groups of enemies have a spellcaster, you can't always interrupt them fast enough, and a failed save basically means a trip back to Kuldahar to get that character raised. It's a bit of a change from the tactics I'm used to seeing from enemy spellcasters in BG.

Thinking of restarting with a new party that's better suited to counter this. Switch out my cavalier for an undead hunter to get immunity to hold, maybe an early berserker-->cleric or druid dual as well. Activate berzerk if it looks like they'll get their spell off before I can stop them. Maybe add in a stalker and/or fighter/thief with good stealth (or invisibility cast on them) to scout and backstab the spellcasters before they can get their spells off. Seems like scouting is going to be pretty important to survive in this game.

And if all else fails, you can always ATTACK THE DARKNESS!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4hikcDFdKo
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Summons.

They're there to die in your place.