Skip to content

The easiest PC character to play through BGEE with?

What character class should I choose in the beginning to make the game as easy as possible?

I am familiar with the mechanics of the game, its just that I'll be playing for the story and adventure, not the challenge, and I'll be playing in my spare time on a iNew v8.

Any other tips for character creation and general tips to keep it as easy as possible are welcome. No, this isn't a troll post.

Comments

• laszlolaszlo Member Posts: 26
    Maybe fighter/mage/thief? It's pretty amazing. And you don't need another party members. Only - is that you can't heal yourself.
    You need max str, dex, con and int (it takes some time to roll it). Later it's truly amazing.
  • Giant_GnomeGiant_Gnome Member Posts: 3
    Probably with any multi-class character, and F/M/T would be the worst, is that you don't earn experience fast enough to keep up in levels with single-class characters, and are therefore short on hit points and spell power. In particular, until you get a few levels you're being shot down easily be every pack of archers, so I wouldn't do that.

My personal opinion is that JLee and OzzyBotkins are on the right lines. Some sort of warrior class (not the kensai though), strong armour, more hit points. Make sure your Con is 16, and you're going to be able to survive more than one hit. Cleric isn't a terrible option either, slightly more fragile but with spells to make up for it.
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    In my opinion Inquisitor is by far the strongest of the easily accessible classes. He will decimate mages, come with very nice immunities and is a strong warrior class by itself.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436

.. Make sure your Con is 16, and you're going to be able to survive more than one hit.

Actually, fighters should max out their Constitution, all other classes get no benefit for a Con over 16.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    I'd say the easiest to get a basic thing going in BG:EE would be an archer. Archers are really strong, all of their best gear drops in the course of the main story. Archers are quite powerful in BG 1 and they're fairly low maintenance as far as things you need to do to play them .

Cavalier or Inquisitor are, as others have said, a likely second best with cavalier being the lowest maintenance since your abilities are all passive.
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    edited November 2014
    As much as i love my Blade if i had to recommend someone it'd be a Cavalier, Naturally High stat rolls, great saving rolls, Solid damage, will always be a good face for the party. and honestly at this stage of the game Immunity to Fear and Poison make him the one of the best classes in the game (Sorry Inquisitor you only become useful as mages become more of a threat and that's not until BG2) i mean hell just going through cloakwood and never having to worry about being poisoned is win. Definitely one of the easiest classes.
    Post edited by Felspawn on
  • Daralon87Daralon87 Member Posts: 236
    My fav chars are the Monks, because they are overpowered at lvl 10!
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    Daralon87 said:

yeah but by level 10 the game is over and you're playing BG2...
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403

.. Make sure your Con is 16, and you're going to be able to survive more than one hit.

Actually, fighters should max out their Constitution, all other classes get no benefit for a Con over 16.
    All Warrior classes (Barb, Pal & Rng in addition to Ftr) benefit from more than 16 CON.

In addition, certain races (Gnome, Halfling, Dwarf) do as well irrespective of class.
  • Daralon87Daralon87 Member Posts: 236
    Felspawn said:

Daralon87 said:

yeah but by level 10 the game is over and you're playing BG2...
    No, i wait for next patches for a sub-language (german), so BG2.

Edit: my monk has passed to lvl 8. (Was bit angered, about lvl limit in Durlag's Tower.) But i know monks are at lvl 10 overpowered.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    to take a very different tac here, I'd strongly suggest cranking the difficulty setting back to the easiest. At that point, just about any character is going to be able to make it through without much of a challenge. Of course there are still areas that might give you headaches, but if you stay on point with the storyline, these shouldn't be often.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The easiest Charname is a berserker. Make him a dwarf for good saving throws.

As soon as you see something, just activate a rage. Point and kill. Easy and effective.

If you don't oppose learning a spell system a bit, a FMT is the most OP character. He hits hard, has wonderful protections, can backstab, set traps.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396

to take a very different tac here, I'd strongly suggest cranking the difficulty setting back to the easiest.

bengoshi said:

The easiest Charname is a berserker. Make him a dwarf for good saving throws.

Both Very Good ideas if you make a Dwarf Fighter with the Berserker Kit and set the difficulty down to the easiest.
    Then you can adjust the difficulty as you find out what works best best for you.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Berserkers are monsters in combat thanks to their damage, extra health and array of immunities.
    Archers win basically every fight against melees.
    Skalds trivialize the early game because of all the great fighters the game gives you early on. Khalid, Kagain, Dorn, Kivan, etc. Buff them with a Skald song and they wreck everything. Easy identifies and a decent caster who can use wands also helps.
    Barbarians are solid throughout BG1 and get better in the sequel if you're doing a full playthrough.
    Lastly, Fighter/Clerics. Best multi-class for BG1 imo.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Wait a minute. Khalid is a 'Great fighter'? How did I miss that fact?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2014
    Starts specialized in long swords, passable DEX so he can go with Gauntlets of Ogre Strength instead of Dexterity, solid CON. Not as good as Kagain but he has the advantage (or disadvantage if you will) of not being evil. I'm pretty sure he's commonly accepted as a solid tank.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    As far as I know the main problem people have with Khalid is he tends to 'go yellow' and run if he takes too much damage. I really don't know if he actually does this more than anyone else. However, damage can be avoided by giving him a long bow and keeping him behind someone wearing full plate and a tower shield.

The only time I ever used him I used the level1npc mod to change him into a Kensai, which I thought rather suited his personality. I'm not saying he's a GOOD Kensai, more he made a career choice he's starting to regret, and really he loves Jaheira very much, and hasn't hooked up with her just because she can cast barkskin :D

To be clear pure Kensai is a glass cannon class, but becomes a power build if you dual class one into mage or thief. It's probably not a bad build to use as a ranged fighter. Grand mastery in darts would probably have an insane number of attacks per round, and kensai THACO would make a lot of them hit. Of course they'd only do 3 damage each, so by the time SoA comes around, you'd be wishing they had grand mastery in axes and were good aligned, so they could do 10 APR with Azureedge.
  • CedeosCedeos Member Posts: 47
    I would say Berserker, Barbarian and Cavalier with 18/xx, 18, 18, x, x, x(17 for the Cavalier) is easiest to go due to all the immunities either inherent or through rage.
    Berserker can get High Mastery in a weapon and wear plate, Barbarian rolls d12 (no plate though, but there is an alternative armor out there) and Cavalier has nice spell like abilities like remove fear and lay on hands.

Archer would be a good choice for BGEE as well, but continuation through BG2 would prove more difficult, I think.

I personally would go Cavalier if you want an easy life, as my play through with one was more or less a cakewalk.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    There are two possibilities:
    A) Character that is easiest to play: Cavalier or Berserlek (generally any warrior class)
    B) Character that makes the game easiest to play: any combination (multi or dual) of fighter and mage
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    My knee-jerk response would be Fighter/Mage but a lot depends upon party composition.

I like to put together 'efficient' parties that have the right combined skillset to tackle most situations quickly and effectively whilst taking as little damage as possible (I use the number of healing spells that my cleric has memorized as a yardstick). My favourite core party for the original BG is: F/M, Viconia, Shar-Teel & Safana (OK, so they do tend to leave a lot of blood on the walls and don't do 'subtle' very well but I have great fun playing them, and if used the right way can make things comparatively easy for me with my playing style).
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    edited November 2014
    Being brand new to the game the answer for easiest character to create and use is simple... Paladin with the Cavalier kit. You don't need to mess around with any extra systems like spells or thief skills. Give him two weapon proficiency points in Longsword and Axes (provided they havn't changed the cavalier so they cannot use throwing weapons in the BG series yet). Give him a Longsword (you'll find some really great magic ones later on) and some throwing axes, a shield and the heaviest armor you can afford. Done.

His innate resistances and immunities will mean he can shrug off most magical effects, and since most mage encounters use Horror to fear your party, and the Cavalier is immune to fear and gets multiple uses of Remove Fear, you can simply remove fear from the rest of the party and continue your butt kickery for goodness.

While there are many "more powerful" or "more useful" characters to play or have in your party, the Cavalier is the easiest for a brand new player to jump into the game with.
  • true_shinkentrue_shinken Member Posts: 84
    I'd say Shapeshifter
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Either a Horc Berserker or a Horc Fighter/Cleric. Both have solid HP, AC and damage. Berserker is more basic but probably easier for BGEE. Fighter/Cleric is nearly as strong in melee but also has cleric spells as back up.

Both can achieve 20 STR and 20 CON (passive regeneration) in BGEE.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894

As far as I know the main problem people have with Khalid is he tends to 'go yellow' and run if he takes too much damage. I really don't know if he actually does this more than anyone else. However, damage can be avoided by giving him a long bow and keeping him behind someone wearing full plate and a tower shield.

The only time I ever used him I used the level1npc mod to change him into a Kensai, which I thought rather suited his personality. I'm not saying he's a GOOD Kensai, more he made a career choice he's starting to regret, and really he loves Jaheira very much, and hasn't hooked up with her just because she can cast barkskin :D

To be clear pure Kensai is a glass cannon class, but becomes a power build if you dual class one into mage or thief. It's probably not a bad build to use as a ranged fighter. Grand mastery in darts would probably have an insane number of attacks per round, and kensai THACO would make a lot of them hit. Of course they'd only do 3 damage each, so by the time SoA comes around, you'd be wishing they had grand mastery in axes and were good aligned, so they could do 10 APR with Azureedge.

Kensai can not use darts.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I'd say Half-Orc Barbarian with 19 STR, 18 DEX and 19 CON.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Barbarian, berserker, or archer.

Make sure you recruit a good, balanced team (one thief, one cleric, one Mage, one melee tank). Don't mix good and evil companions.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Fighter, Barbarian, Archer, or any form of Paladin. Paladins are just about arguably the easiest form of characters you can play for your PC, especially since all of them get access to every melee weapon and most of them (barring the cavalier) can use missile weapons as well. Fighters and Barbarians are second easiest only because you might be confused on how to spend proficiency points, but long swords or two handed swords are always the "safe" bet.
  • CaradocCaradoc Member Posts: 92
    edited November 2014
    Few general advices:

1. Be a fighter class or a cleric.
    2. Stay away from mages, sorcerers, bards, monks, thieves and druids
    3. Play pure class

I'd personally recommand cavalier. He is quite easy to understand and fun to play. Heck I still play cavaliers sometimes because they're just so much fun.

However if you want the ultimate melee experience go with Berserker. You can literally rip through hordes of enemies while raged and you get to be the party's ultimate killing machine.

Cleric is a pretty easy going class too since you can be the party healer and still wear best armor. Ofcourse magic system has a learning curve, but clerics are much more forgiving than arcane casters. The difference between cleric and paladin is basicly that paladin is a warrior first, priest second. Cleric is caster who can support party's main melee dealers and protect weak ass mages.

As for me personally, first class i played back in the day was ranger. I simply chose it because I loved the concept (Aragorn was a ranger after all). I can't really recall how my build was back then..it wasn't entirely optimal. but I had tons of fun :)

Ranger is not as tough as rest of the fighters, but at the end of the day, he is still a fighter class that can hold the line just like any other fighter, but on top of that he can also...

...do some sneaking
    ...cast spells at lvl 8 when the priest spellbook is unlocked for rangers.
    ...choose a racial enemy which is a nice bonus
    ...charm animals which can be quite helpfull in bgee.
    ...always dual wield, because ranger starts with 2 free points in two weapon style!

Whats not to like? :)

And minsc is a ranger, so there is going to be twice ammount of Butt-kickin' for goodness in your party!

Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!