Skip to content

Hit Point Calculations Seem Off?

So... I know that after level 9 or 10 depending on class, you stop getting Hit Dice and just get a flat HP mod and you stop getting constitution modifier, but I've done this math a few times and I just can't get it to add up. So maybe someone can help me. I've played on Normal difficulty through BGEE and now in BG2EE. Anomen's HP, though, make no sense to me. Maybe it's something I am missing about dual classing, but it doesn't even display right.

Let me explain. So right now Anomen is level 7 Fighter, level 16 Cleric. So, the way I understand it, that means 7 *10=70 for Base HD, and then his constitution is 16 so that's another 2 per level, so +14 so that's 84 from Fighter. Then he gets nothing from Cleric until level 8, when he would get 10 (8 from HD and 2 from Con) per level until level 9. So +20 right? for levels 8 and 9? And that would be 90. And then he should be getting 2 per level for 7 levels, which would be 14, and that would put him at 104, except, he's at 110. I have checked every piece of equipment he has on, none of it gives him HP. I rested for a full day to make sure it wasn't residual buffs, but nothing. Also, his Class Hit Points/Level is listed as +8, which also doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, Mazzy who is a straight fighter. Level 16 with 16 constitution, has 122 HP for some reason. And that doesn't make sense either, right? 90 HP for 9 levels +18 HP from Constitution =108 + 21 for 3 HP per level for 7 levels = 129, so why does she have 122? Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    NPCs start out with less than maxed HP rolls when you first pick them up, unless you pick them up at level 1. Lets take BG1 Imoen for example. When you pick her up at level 1 she has 8 HP (which is the maximum possible for her level) but if she is level 2 when you get her she has only 12 HP (out of a possible 16 HP) and if she is level 4 when you get her she has 29 HP (out of a possible 32 HP). This is true of every joinable NPC in the game so it is normal for NPCs to have less than max HP.

As for the Class Hit Points/Level being +8: That just means that Anomen gets a base d8 HP per level as a cleric. His Bonus Hit Points/Level should read as +2 for his constitution bonus if his constitution is still 16.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    First things that come to my mind:

Anomen - He probably starts with a higher HP pool or something, making it possible for him to exceed the "legal" amount.

Mazzy: If you aren't playing with the full HP rolls option on then she would get 1d10 per level. If you are using thst setting, she might just be a case of starting with s lower than usual amount of HP.
  • TwistedRiddlesTwistedRiddles Member Posts: 7
    Tresset said:

NPCs start out with less than maxed HP rolls when you first pick them up, unless you pick them up at level 1. Lets take BG1 Imoen for example. When you pick her up at level 1 she has 8 HP (which is the maximum possible for her level) but if she is level 2 when you get her she has only 12 HP (out of a possible 16 HP) and if she is level 4 when you get her she has 29 HP (out of a possible 32 HP). This is true of every joinable NPC in the game so it is normal for NPCs to have less than max HP.

As for the Class Hit Points/Level being +8: That just means that Anomen gets a base d8 HP per level as a cleric. His Bonus Hit Points/Level should read as +2 for his constitution bonus if his constitution is still 16.

Well that would make sense for Anomen if he was below level 10, but he's not. Everyone else above level 10 has their class hit point progression listed. Mazzy, for example, has +3 listed, because that is fighter post-level 9 hit point progression. Anomen's should be +2, because that's the hit point progression for cleric, but it is listed as +8 instead.
  • TwistedRiddlesTwistedRiddles Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, though, I wasn't aware that setting the difficulty to the max HP setting did not retroactively give NPCs max HP for the levels they gained before I got them.