Skip to content

When parties turn purple! NPCs infighting (spoilers)

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
I tend to pick parties that I know will fall out eventually because I enjoy hearing them bicker and I love the moment when they finally get sick of each other, the little circles around their feet turn purple, and they resort to fisticuffs.

However, I do find it can take and awfully long time before they finally get round to it. I went most of the way through one game with Jaheira, Khalid, Montaron and Xzar without them ever coming to blows. And I have never yet managed to get Kivan and Viconia into a fight even though it seems like they might.

So do the rest of you guys like to see an NPC v NPC grudge match or do you prefer your parties to be all sweetness and light?

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Did you ever notice in BG2 that Keldorn (LG Paladin) and Korgan (CE Berserker) have a bit of a bromance going on?
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2012
    I had a party with Keldorn, Viconia and Edwin. It was great but I don't recall them ever coming to blows. Writes down things to do first in BG:EE 2 - "Reproduce party with Viconia, Edwin and Keldorn. Observe the results."
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    I love me some in-party conflict. For that reason, my first playthrough of BG:EE will likely be a low-WIS, low-CHA, chaotic neutral gnome fighter/illusionist. Lack of leadership guaranteed!

Now to hope Neera's doesn't mind gnomes... (As a half elf you'd imagine her to be open minded.)
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    Eidolon said:

I had a party with Keldorn, Viconia and Edwin. It was great but I don't recall them ever coming to blows. Writes down things to do first in BG:EE 2 - "Reproduce party with Viconia, Edwin and Keldorn. Observe the results."

NPCs don't turn on each other in BG2, they just argue every now and then.
    I actually hope that they'll remove party infighting from BGEE, or at least make it optional.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    As far as I know, some cases might have some party members go bye-bye in BG2. Korgan and Aerie come to mind... Aerie + Haer'dalis and Romancing Aerie PC come into mind too if I am not mistaken.

I am pretty sure Viconia and Keldorn come to blows though... 99.99% of the times, Keldorn beats her ass quite hard... then again if you have Keldorn, you have him with Carsomyr which basically the following :

Carsomyr > All.
    Too bad I am too much of a family person and always let Keldorn go away (naked) from my party.
  • MokonaMokona Member Posts: 89
    Paheej said:

The first time I ever played BG, as soon as Khalid and Jaheria joined my party at Friendly Arm Inn with Monty and Xzar already in it they immediately started duking it out.

That single event is what got me hooked on BG.

Similar story. First time playing BG everyone in my party was chilling in the bar room at Friendly Arm Inn. Meanwhile I'm upstairs robbing the place of anything I can find. Suddenly - bar fight. I come downstairs and I'm like WHAT THE HELL GUYS?
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Mine was trying to rescue Dynaheir. Kept getting "Waylaid by enemies and must defend yourselves". We'd win, but end up wounded. Back to Beregost, then re-starting the journey. It took too long and all of a sudden, I'm at blows with Minsc. Couldn't believe my eyes.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    edited August 2012
    Doom972 said:

NPCs don't turn on each other in BG2, they just argue every now and then.
    I actually hope that they'll remove party infighting from BGEE, or at least make it optional.

Sure they do, I had Minsc kill Edwin over insults to Dynaheir in BG2. If Anomen fails his test he might attack Aerie or Keldorn. Aerie and Korgan also conflict, but I think they just force you to pick one over the other without ever fighting.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    In BG I've had once Monty and Xzar fight it out with Khalid and Jaheira.
    In BG2, even though I tend to mix up my group and enjoy their verbal disputes, I don't mix Keldorn with Viconia or CN Anomen with Keldorn / Aerie as I know they will most likely end up fighting, sometimes at very unappropriated moments.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @shawne : OMG, I didn't know that. Definitely gonna pick Aeriebro and Korganbro next playthrough! Thanks! :D
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The only thing I missed about party in-fighting was that there was no way to talk them out of it. Just suddenly they decide they hate each other, and the only thing you can do is stand back and watch.

I would have liked some dialogue options there, maybe with a reaction check based on 's charisma, to get them to realize that the party's quest is bigger and more important than their petty squabbles.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Aosaw said:

The only thing I missed about party in-fighting was that there was no way to talk them out of it. Just suddenly they decide they hate each other, and the only thing you can do is stand back and watch.

To be fair, if you haven't done anything about the internal conflicts in your party by that point, they're not likely to listen to you anyway. :)
  • merc1136merc1136 Member Posts: 12
    I remember Aerie leaving my party due to an issue with another NPC... right before a dragon fight. Fantastic timing...
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    Had a few fights with Keldorn myself.. Did love the banter (lovetalk) between Keldorn and Korgan
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I remember some conflicts... Kivan and shar teel, although I don't think I ever got them to brawl it out. I've witnessed Xzar and montaron vs Khalid and jaheira, also saw keldorn vs viconia. It's funny that it's possible to have minsc, dynaheir and Edwin in the same party... Although why anyone would want all those mages...

Also, if you have eldoth and xan... You can see how much xan hates eldoth, it's so funny :)
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I'm pretty Certain I've had Minsc come to blows with Edwin.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Aosaw said:

My last run through, Minsc had enough of Edwin and attacked him. Both left my control and started eachother. My PC cast invisibility on Edwin and then was able to talk to Minsc, bring him back in and rejoin the whole group together without any further problems.

I am waiting for Xzar/Monty v. Khalid/Jaheira right now. Not everyone is going to walk away from that one.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    What fun is a party without some discord?
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    I remember Keldorn and Viconia coming to blows right before bodhi's lair in chapter 6. Keldorn critical hit her and sent chunks flying. Thanks team lol
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I was absolutely distraught when, half way through the Nashkel mines, with my party rather bruised and battered, Jaheira and Khalid thought killing off 33% of our group was a good idea. Seriously, guys, couldn't you have settled your differences after we escaped the kobold-infested, trap-ridden mine?

I always felt Keldorn was a bit harsh on Viconia. She was a damsel in distress and we rescued her, and then she travelled with us helping with our good deeds! What was his problem? Silly paladin.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531

\

I am pretty sure Viconia and Keldorn come to blows though... 99.99% of the times, Keldorn beats her ass quite hard... then again if you have Keldorn, you have him with Carsomyr which basically the following :

Carsomyr > All.
    Too bad I am too much of a family person and always let Keldorn go away (naked) from my party.

I used to play with both Viconia and Keldorn in my party. The thing is, I always gave Viconia the very best items I had since she was my favorite NPC, so her armor and weapons were even better than my PC's. When Keldorn attacked her, he exploded into chunks of meat within a few seconds. I don't remember what sword Keldorn had, but it might have been Sarevok's sword of Chaos. Viconia had Crom Faeyre and the Ring of Gaxx.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    merc1136 said:

I remember Aerie leaving my party due to an issue with another NPC... right before a dragon fight. Fantastic timing...

That reminds me of the time I was playing the Aerie romance and she told me that she wanted to have sex for the first time right when we were being attacked by vampires. Not the most romantic timing.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    she'd obviously just watched the twilight saga and thought they were all cute and sparkly...