Skip to content

best pc character

I am meaning this question not in the typical what is the most powerful class or kit, but for what is the best class for the player to play in a good, neutral, and/or evil that balances the party? The pc character is greatly more powerful than most npcs but for some classes the difference is not as great. What roles or classes do pc characters stand out in or feel a needed hole?

(I'm starting a new game in ee with the monk npc, wild mage, and your half sister. Good/neutral party)

Comments

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    There is none. There's only characters that you can see yourself relating to. That's why it's called a role playing game.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Swashbuckler! Arrrrrr!

In all seriousness, there are not a lot of classes that are not represented in some fashion.

It is impossible to make a pure class mage better than Edwin or, arguably, a Stalker better than Valygar (his armor is quite nice). Jan's armor also gives him perhaps a slight edge over player created Ill/Thief. Haer'Dalis has a quite useful illegal proficiency, so Blade is out. Stats can always be improved however...

Good path Anomen is an effective cleric with the benefit of fighter levels. The knock on him and Keldorn is the poor dex, so you could improve there...

Druids: check.

Mazzy is not an Archer kit, but she is the next best thing. Korgan is a great fighter with a nice kit.

I'd say the only glaring absence is Sorcerer, but then you would be super arcane heavy.

Then there are some multi/dual class combos that are not represented. F/M, C/T, C/R and the triples are absent, so you might try one of those.

My favorite classes to play are Swashies, Kensais, and Sorcerers. They all start relatively slow and grow to be extremely powerful. C/T was surprisingly fun as well.

But in the end, it is as Belanos stated. The game allows you to be anything you want to be and mix it up in a vast number of possible combinations.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    I would say a pure fighter kit if you're good (going melee).
    Sorcerer as mentioned.
    Single class thief (kitted)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    If you're starting a new game with Rasaad, Neera and Imoen, I would vote for making a F/M/T as a character. It will cover the tank role, the thief role in terms of those abilities Imoen is not proficient in, and a support mage (if needed) role. Overall, this character will be fun in a 4-man party. Another variant for such a party would be a F/M/C - so that you can have divine spells in your party.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    lunar said:

For an unique pc, go for sorcerer/dragon disciple, kensai, dwarven defender or shadowdancer. No other npc can do the special things these classes can.

Definitely agree.
  • SindyanSindyan Member Posts: 146
    Thank you everyone that was helpful. I was a hard question to write because I'm not wanting the most powerful just a lacking role.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Ranger/Cleric can do damn-near anything except pick locks and disarm traps, but other than that all classes and class combos have their strengths and weaknesses.
  • Tomato9999Tomato9999 Member Posts: 30
    definitely not mage since Edwin will always be miles better with his +2 spells per level.
    In my opinion, thieves suck and you also got hexxat, so definitely not a thief

Probably not a Druid since jaheira with the multiclass does that really well and I think shes one of the best if not the best npc's out there

As was mentioned, something like a duel class/multi class with a fighter would be best.

As for single class, I think monks are under-represented when theyre pretty great. Also the shapeshifters are pretty crazy. Also you could try a bard just for roleplay purposes

Sorcerers/dragon dechiples are really fun I agree but I think Edwin is still better

Not rangers and paladins since theres alot of decent ones in game (2 rangers and 2 paladins)

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited January 2015
    My favorite class to roll for a Neutral campaign is the Rogue-Rebalanced Jester :)
  • SpoCk0nd0peSpoCk0nd0pe Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2015
    Most powerful? Aside from timestop/harm and spike trap one trick ponies, I'd say probably Kensai/Mage and Sorcerer.
    The sorcerer is way stronger then Edwin because his on the fly spell choices allow for many more Improved Alcalary/Robes of Venca/Project Image abuses per day. Spell selection is key.
    Kensai/Mage probably requires less micro management, dunno if Kensai 9 or 13 is better for dual classing though. Lvl 13 gives you the 9 attacks per round imrpoved hastes (lvl 9 gives "just" 8) and more HP/THC0 but gimps your character during much of SoA depending on party size.

[edit] Sorry, I should have read the OP more carefully
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    There are no Fighter Mage multi or duals for NPCs. Go Neutral for that, and try to run a Neutral party... harder in BG2, but hard in BG1 too. Learn to love Druids!

I would say Cernd is a good enough Druid actually. He has 18 wis, which is nice for bonus spells, and his physical stats are kinda immaterial; if you use him in melee, he should be shifted to tank for you anyways. GWW form is pretty tough, even the vanilla one, so he is not as bad as people claim. He is no Garrick anyways!

If you go Neutral, you would have to use Anomen, Cernd, Jaheira, Jan, and either Yoshimo or HaerDallis. BG1 will be a challenge though if you try both games, as you might need to rely on more advanced tactics... not a very melee heavy alignment, and some are not available early. The BG2 party is solid though on defence, and Jan makes a heck of a mage later on, due to his specialization and synergy with Thief abilities. Your PC will likely be used more as a Fighter than a Mage, unless you add in SCS or other mods.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    The main strength of CHARNAME is the ability to customize, especially in terms of dual/multi-class. There are VERY few game NPCs you can dual, for example, let alone dual effectively.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited January 2015
    Good or Evil: Skald.
    Neutral: Sorcerer or Dragon Disciple
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    Cavalier, Single class druid, Fighter Mage multi, Sorcerer, Archer. Best fun out of those would be Cavalier, but have a second tank if you run into mind flayers.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    I would not chose cavalier as the "best" PC : it's just another fighter (not many things to do) and the kit is not the best one. Keldorn fills the paladin role better IMO.

Like many, i would go for classes which are both unique (no NPC) and powerful. Something like sorcerer, FM, duals,...
  • SymphonyofSwordsSymphonyofSwords Member Posts: 40
    In your case, I would pick a ranger/cleric multi to cover both your clerical and tanky bases at the same time.