Skip to content

Terrible AI

I'm sorry, but after a few frustrations in my IWD games, I just have to vent. My gripe comes mainly from the fact that I have to have AI enabled so that I don't go mad trying to micromanage 6 party members. It is nice to have them be able to slaughter stuff automatically instead of having to click on a mob one by one until they are all dead.

HOWEVER.

WHY does the AI OVERRIDE any command I give them? I don't think this happened in BG:EE, yet it happens here. I click on a faraway mob for my fighter to attack, yet halfway through the fighter forgets what I just told her and goes back to attacking the closer mob. Or I tell my cleric/fighter to stop attacking for a moment and start healing a hurt character, yet halfway before they reach the character they turn around and start attacking again. It's more than driving me nuts, it's gamebreaking!

Another minor gripe is that my fighter, when confronted with two to three archers, will suddenly get confused in the head and start walking in circles, first heading to a mob, then halfway there decide to change its mind and turn back to the other mob.

Why???

Comments

• SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    I agree with you.

And no, AI is not like this in Baldur's Gate
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Turn AI off when you need to bypass the scripts. Once your fighter is engaged in that far off mob (don't know why you'd split a party and decrease the fog of war but I digress) turn it back on.

The AI has always been a hassle in these games and should only be used in critter battles. I think the script fires every 6 seconds, equivalent to a turn in the game to prevent characters from standing around waiting for commands.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    There was a bug in AI in bg:ee's very initial releases. Ranged characters tended to walk across to reach their targets and fire into melee. Subsequent patches fixed this quite nicely. Perhaps a similiar fix can come for iwd:ee with later patches.