Skip to content

Max HP, cheesy???

2»

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited November 2014

@subtledoctor‌ If the frustration is with random rolls, I think they should just give strictly average HP. This way, you don't mess with the game balance.

I agree this should be an option, for those who want to play this way. I for one would NOT be one of them though.

Well, the game rules literally say that hit points granted per level are 1d4/1d6/1d8/1d10... NOT 4/6/8/10.

The other side of this argument is that the random hit point die roles are based on PnP rules where combat is not as significant a focus, at least it never was in the games that I played. Throwing the DnD rules into a video game where combat is much more prevalent pretty much throws out any inequity based on this factor.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @the_spyder‌ It's unquestionably a better option than max rolls. If you max HP rolls but leave damage rolls as they were, you're having a massive effect on game balance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

@the_spyder‌ It's unquestionably a better option than max rolls. If you max HP rolls but leave damage rolls as they were, you're having a massive effect on game balance.

Again, I agree that it is fine for those who want it, and I'd support it being an option. As to how much 'Better' it is for everyone? That is highly subjective.

As I stated above, the fact that the game went from PnP to Video game with a significantly heavier focus on combat means that the 'Balance' (always assuming that any such beast exists in D&D) has already shifted HEAVILY towards needing more than 'average' hit points. If it were a straight conversion from the PnP rules where role playing and exploration were much higher focus than combat, I might agree that 'average' hit points made sense. But since it is now mainly about the combat, that is no longer the case. In my subjective view.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    Not cheesy at all, just common sense. There is a reason you get a fixed amount of HP in later versions of D&D - they realized random HP rolls are pretty stupid for obvious reasons.

That being said you don't really *need* maximum HP if you're playing on 'Core Rules'. If you're playing on 'Insane" difficulty however it might make a significant difference depending on your party setup, especially early on.