Skip to content

Max HP, cheesy???

Hey, all. I've been playing IWD on the core difficulty setting but with the Max Hit Points at Level Up option. Is that cheesy? Okay up to a certain level but then I should take it off? Just wondering.

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think it's cheesy, but it doesn't really matter, now does it.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited November 2014
    If you warrior ends up having 20 hp by lvl5, I say good riddance. I always have the maxHP either by option or a tweak. If the tweaks include it, I use max xp rolls for everyone including monsters.
  • BawooklesBawookles Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking keeping the max HP on until they get to 10th level or so, and then taking it off.
    @Bawookles‌ It wouldn't matter after 10th level, because you stop rolling for HP anyway.
  • MiloMilo Member Posts: 59
    It is cheesy, but I swear every HP roll when I don't use it is a 1 or 2 (plus CON bonus).

Every. Single. Roll.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CedeosCedeos Member Posts: 47
    edited November 2014
    Bawookles said:

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking keeping the max HP on until they get to 10th level or so, and then taking it off.

This would be the same as leaving it on, as there are no HD rolls after level 10, you just get the fixed + CON bonus thereafter.
    @subtledoctor‌ If the frustration is with random rolls, I think they should just give strictly average HP. This way, you don't mess with the game balance.

@Bawookles‌ It wouldn't matter after 10th level, because you stop rolling for HP anyway.

Oh! Ha! Okay.
  • SigleafSigleaf Member Posts: 22
    I just use the NWN "ruleset" where you could set to only randomize the upper 50% of the roll, just level and rereload till you get the top half, first time it does you keep it.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    First, it's essentially a difficulty setting. You get to change those as you please to make the game more fun for you. That's awesome. Keep doing it. Anyone who judges you doesn't understand how games are supposed to work.

Furthermore, the type of randomness produced by random hp rolls is... not for everyone. If you want to mitigate that, I feel you. I do much the same, albeit in different ways. In the end, it comes down to how you want to play.

Basically what I'm saying is you're in the clear.
  • RedViiperRedViiper Member Posts: 48
    I'd say go for max. There's a difficulty button if you want to make the game harder. Actually in every PnP game I've played outside of pathfinder society the DM would max HP everything.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I used to roll until I got a better than 50% roll; that's closest to most PNP I've played. But it is tedious! So I mostly just use the max hp option now.
    I think it's a legit option.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I play a house rule: if less than half maximum hp, I can reroll.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Cheese is a pretty subjective thing. What is cheesy to one may not be to another.

Here is my own personal cheese check:

Have I reduced my enjoyment or satisfaction of the game through tactics/options I can control that resulted in making the game too easy?

If the answer is yes, I've got some cheesiness and perhaps some rethinking/restarting to do.

If not, then I will continue with said tactic/option.

I don't know if that will help you at all, but it's the criteria I use.
  • oldgamer518oldgamer518 Member Posts: 18
    Bawookles said:

Hey, all. I've been playing IWD on the core difficulty setting but with the Max Hit Points at Level Up option. Is that cheesy? Okay up to a certain level but then I should take it off? Just wondering.

Nah not cheese. At worst, minor cheese. Much greater cheese is rest abuse and haste abuse. When I DMd PnP D&D back in 1980-something I almost always allowed player characters to take max hp + appropriate con bonuses. In early stages of IE games, those hp help, but down the road, as the games progress, I don't think they make that much of a difference when you're facing opponents who dish out repeated damage against player characters with -10 AC. Anyway, I just started IWD:EE and I have max hp enabled, core rules. In BG and BG2 EE there was no option under core rules for max hp, so I just took what I got and hoped for the best.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    edited November 2014
    I remember in the vanilla IWD (as well as BG) before HoW was out, Max HP on level up was never an option in anything harder than core. I'd spend hours reloading just for maximizing the HP on every one of my characters...

Sweet Auril, am I glad this is featured in EE as a seperate feature without having to disable HoF mode from configuration menu then level up my party and then turn HoF mode back on like in the ol' days.
    Post edited by Kenji on
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I wouldn't be sad to see an "Average HP" option where its not random but you get the exact middle off the range. But I am enjoying the heck out of the Max HP option.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    @Bawookles‌

God, the amount of people on this forum who self-flagellate over trivial inanities is mind-blowing.

It's a game! It's meant to be played any way you see fit!

If you derive enjoyment from having high HP, then that's the only thing that matters!

And are you honestly so conformist that you'd admonish others for making their game easier to play?

@Bawookles‌

God, the amount of people on this forum who self-flagellate over trivial inanities is mind-blowing.

It's a game! It's meant to be played any way you see fit!

If you derive enjoyment from having high HP, then that's the only thing that matters!

And are you honestly so conformist that you'd admonish others for making their game easier to play?

Jesus! Calm down. Just asking for other people's opinions. If you don't want to hear other people's opinions then why are you on a forum? Oh, I know. Because you just like listening to your own opinion.

• DreamingViksDreamingViks Member Posts: 87
    I never knew so many people actually played with full hp-rolls :o.

I am so not against cheesing, I reload a lot, but I always found HP rolls to be a fun factor into leveling up and helps differentiate the characters, I like that.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    My first play through I am maxing it. Dwarven barbarians and defenders (with 19 con) are insane meat shields though. They have 85 hp at level 5, so 170 at lvl 10. Can be a bit much.

Second playthrough I am probably going to have it maxed for only the first 3 levels, then after that random roll it. If someone in my party gets unlucky rolls, I may give them a max roll on heor next level up to balance things.

The feature does beat out the old way of reloading for 20 minutes until you got a high roll.
  • limaxlimax Member Posts: 14
    Personally I go for full HP up to level 3 and then random after that.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    I wish Max HP option was somehow backported to BG:EE and BG2:EE.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    How are enemies hit points? Do they have max or near-max hit points for their level or hit dice? If it is like that, it is not cheesy at all to enable max-hp from options, you are just playing it fair. If enemies have average hit point rolls for their levels and hit dices, then this might give you an unfair advantage over enemies.

But then again, do remember the enemies in this game come in hordes like 20-30 a time, and your party can have only up to six people. If you think like that, having a few hit points higher per level than enemies is acceptable.

Ofcourse, in HoF mode, all bets are off. :-)
  • CasadoomCasadoom Member Posts: 68
    I also find Max HP to make the game significantly easier but completely random rolls is absolutely horrible. Personally, I use BG2 tweaks (works for IWD too) which has the option to force HP to only roll average or better that makes a much more balanced party. The optimal solution would be guaranteed average roll but I have not found a mod that offers that option.

A warrior constantly rolling 1's and 2's is absolutely fucked, especially if you do not min-max the stat points.