Skip to content

Nerf request: fast weapons

So, I'm sure that I'll be imploded with righteous flame for this.

But, why do fast weapons give an extra attack with the mainhand rather than with the weapon itself?

If it's a limitation of the engine, fair enough. However, if it's possible I think it should be changed to give +1 attack *with the weapon*.

This small change would have a significant impact. Yes, it's a significant nerf. However, it would open up a whole host of weapons as candidates for use in the offhand rather than the current default selection of 3 (in BG2).

The only issue I see with this idea is that it would be a defacto buff to Whirlwind Attack.

Comments, criticisms etc welcome.

Comments

• TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    @Wowo
    I usually loathe nerf requests (because I feel it's laughable for anyone to want to make an already trivially easy game a shade less so), but I agree with you on this one.

I'm no expert, but I think it's engine limitation, or else Beamdog would've fixed it already.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    99% sure it's an engine implementation.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dashteacupdashteacup Member Posts: 52
    Yeah. This annoys me to the point where I voluntarily no longer use speed weapons in my off hand. I don't think there's an easy way to fix this though, which is kind of sad.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I generally only use speed weapons when the main hand weapon is the same type of weapon. A fighter/druid dual-wielding Belm plus Water's Edge is fine by me. Belm plus Blackblood would irk me a bit.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Leave any type of uneeded changes to mods, and more when it comes to nerfing a single player game as old as BG2 (in which you can also limit yourself not to use such weapons, or open them with NearInfinity change what you want).
  • HenkeBHenkeB Member Posts: 97
    While I can understand your reasoning behind the mechanic beeing unrealistic and if used at its max it it powerfull.

There is also so many ways that people come up with to make this game more challanging. No-reloads, no- resurection of teammates, poverty runs, limiting theri stat rolls.
    So choosing not to use the mentioned weapons if you dont like them would probably be the easiest way to go about this. Since its not a competitive game, what difference does it make. Just play the game like you enjoy it most.

Or if you realy cant resist using them if they are there. Do what CrevsDaak suggested and remove or change them with som modding tool.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    HenkeB said:

While I can understand your reasoning behind the mechanic beeing unrealistic and if used at its max it it powerfull.

There is also so many ways that people come up with to make this game more challanging. No-reloads, no- resurection of teammates, poverty runs, limiting theri stat rolls.
    So choosing not to use the mentioned weapons if you dont like them would probably be the easiest way to go about this. Since its not a competitive game, what difference does it make. Just play the game like you enjoy it most.

Or if you realy cant resist using them if they are there. Do what CrevsDaak suggested and remove or change them with som modding tool.

The way I would like to play the game is for a fast weapon to give an extra attack with itself rather than with my mainhand.

However, this isn't possible. Hence this thread.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Casts implode with righteous flame.