Skip to content

Imoen dual class

I want to dual class Imoen to mage so, what is the best thief level to stop at?
Next:
What is the console command to give XP to Imoen?
What is the console command to create spell scrolls?

I screwed her up (I hate that) so I want to fix her and import her into my current game.

Comments

• dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    General consensus is 6 or 7.

Lvl 6 gets you enough thief skill points to max Find/Disarm Traps, and Open Locks (or near max if you want just a bit of other t-skills and are willing to carefully manage your thief play). Level 6 conversion then allows a pretty quick recovery to active thief skills, in some peoples play style even before completing Chapter 5/Baldur's Gate. Some folks go short on Open Locks and pump Snares or sneaking, since as a Mage she will have Knock available.

Lvl 7 is the canon conversion level (meaning Imoen in BG2 is a mage with lvl 7 thief skills). You get a little more depth to your non-core thief skills, but you will probably have to grind a bit to reach Mage Lvl 8 and recover your thief skills, and archery, in time to have them available to affect the post-Candlekeep adventures (TotSC adventures - Ulgoth's Beard, Durlag's Tower, the Island) and the endgame. You will almost certainly need a substitute thief for awhile if you don't dual Imoen until Lvl 7. Coran? Alora? Safana? Skie?
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299

You will almost certainly need a substitute thief for awhile if you don't dual Imoen until Lvl 7. Coran? Alora? Safana? Skie?

Or mage who can cast Knock.

• dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    velehal said:

You will almost certainly need a substitute thief for awhile if you don't dual Imoen until Lvl 7. Coran? Alora? Safana? Skie?

Or mage who can cast Knock.

Thieves are a lot more than just lockpickers . It's a serious pain trying to go through certain areas like the thieves maze or Durlag's Tower without one. Not to mention the damage they can cause with backstab and traps.

Even pickpocket can net you some really nice gear.
  • OmZanthOmZanth Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for that info! How about the codes... anyone?
    What is the console command to give XP to Imoen?
    What is the console command to create spell scrolls?
    I have the debug mode line in the ini file.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I always used to dual Imoen at 7th, to get the most out of her thieving, and not sure if it would have an impact of BG2 otherwise. I am comfortable with the grind regaining dualled levels.

Then it was pointed out that dualing at 6 not only means a faster recovery of levels, but that she will reach Mage level 9 by the end of the game, and 5th level spells. Likewise, BG2 is going to ignore any dualing and skill point distribution you make in the first game anyway. Now I almost always dual at 6th instead.

Sorry, I never use the console so don't have any helpful codes - plenty of others around here do though, so I expect your answer soon!
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Hmm, I can't max her Open Locks and Traps skills until 7. I'm 15 points short at level 6 without spending them anywhere else.

Anyway.

Level 6 thief: C:SetCurrentXP("20000")
    Level 7 thief: C:SetCurrentXP("40000")

Imoen needs to be selected for that to work. As for the scrolls...

C:CreateItem("code")

And as for the scroll codes, top google result for Baldur's Gate item codes.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I remember the days when she could be dualed into a conjurer... Good times!
  • LillyhimeLillyhime Member Posts: 36
    I duel my Imoen at 7 and make her an Illusionist using EE Keeper.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    if you plan on replacing her with another thief, any level is fine; earlier the better. If you plan on still utilizing her thieving abilities and leaving a slot open for someone who isn't a thief to put in, 5-7 are your best bets; really any time you max out or are close to maxing out Open Locks and Find Traps. If you even just get Open Locks and Find Traps to 80 each, you can just use Thieving Potions.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I usually Duel Imoen after 6th level. like every one else I just focus on open locks and disarm traps