Skip to content

Dwarven Fighter/Thief

What is the best approach to building a Dawarf F/T with more of a focus on melee and backstabbing? Previously I played a halfling F/T with a focus on darts and daggers. For an Elf starting with LS** and Dual Wield** seems a popular choice due to THACO bonus or swapping in a bow.

However, what about a Dwarf? I was thinking *SWS **Melee Weapon *Dual Wield? Or should I have a range option and hold off on dual wield? Or dual wield from the start?

Also, since Dwarves don't get the THACO bonus, what weapon choice? I have only played dwarves with hammers or axes, but those can't backstab.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited November 2014
    I think it would be funny to see a dwarf running around with katanas or scimitars! I would do that just for the novelty of it! :D
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited November 2014
    Dwarves make GREAT F/Ts. Their dexterity can be boosted as needed with potions and spells, and their high CON helps because of the fighter side's bonus HP. Add to that exceptional strength, and you have the best melee combat ability in a thief except for half-orcs, whose 1 point of strength and dexterity comes at a cost of poorer thief skills and terrible saving throws compared to dwarves.
    Quarterstaffs, crossbows, short and long swords all fit dwarves nicely, as do katanas :P

Edit: I would hold off on dual-wielding and start off with a point in a ranged weapon instead. Build toward two-weapon style as you level up. Two points is plenty—that third point is a bit of a waste.
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Katana and dwarf is an interesting idea, they'd be pretty impressed at the workmanship/quality.
  • shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
    Thief weapons and dwarves just don't seem to fit. I can see him saying:

Dagger . . . What is this puny child's toy?
    Short Sword . . . Do I look like a halfling to you, boy?
    Long Swords . . . I am a dwarf, not a bloody elf!
    QS . . . Do you want me to pole vault across crevice?

I like the idea of a Dwarf F/T and after using halfling F/T and then gnome F/I, I have come to fully appreciate the shorty saving throws. Just the traditional thief weapons and the traditional dwarf weapons don't match up.

A dwarf with a katana. Now that is something you don't see every day, though Katana selection in BG1 is pretty limited.
  • osarsiphosarsiph Member Posts: 4
    Clubs.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    You only need thief weapon to backstab. No reason not to have your other weapon as an axe, flail or whatever you prefer.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited November 2014
    Dwarves totally use swords (re: Thorin Oakenshield and Orcrist), the whole axe and hammers thing is a bit sterotypical. Don't be racist against dwarves!

That said I imagine a dwarven F/T could happily duel wield short swords/daggers switching out with a shield when needed. They would also probably lean more towards crossbow use than bows. All of these would be more useful in the narrow confines of tunnels and mines than larger swinging weapons.

Skillwise they may lean more towards mechanical progress (traps/locks) more naturally then stealth skills.

A gnomish F/T is mechanically superior in BG, they get everything a dwarf gets with the exception of passive regen when you get to 20 CON. In return they get better DEX (meaning better skills) and a higher potential CHA score.
    Post edited by moody_mage on
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited November 2014
    DreadKhan said:

Katana and dwarf is an interesting idea, they'd be pretty impressed at the workmanship/quality.

• shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
    My party and PC are shaping up nicely. Currently in CH4.

PC Dwarven Fighter/Thief SS+2 or crappy Xbow
    Viconia Cleric/Thief QS+1 or sling
    Kaigan Fighter Axe+1 WH+2
    Shar Teel Berserker Vascona LS+1
    Edwin Conjurer

Never played a full evil play through. I like the evil NPC options.

With that said, xbows suck. My PC has **SS *SW *Xbow *TWS. My PC kicks butt with the Short Sword +2, but can't took too much damage going toe to toe and in range the drop off is drastic. Mt previous F/T was a halfling using darts and daggers. The darts seemed much more effective.

Also, wish my F/T was hooded when wearing leather armor.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Get the Army Scythe from Thunderhammer and some bolts of lightning and bolts of biting then the crossbows will start working for you.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    A second pip in crossbows wouldn't hurt either.