Skip to content

What level may pass the final game?

Reached the main villain, but he was too strong for my characters 5/6 level.

Comments

• dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    Before going to Ulgoth's beard I suggest exploring the parts of BG you haven't checked out yet. There are a few quests there that you might find difficult with a lower level party. Especially if this is your first run.

There's also plenty of quests to complete in the city of Baldur's Gate. Quite a few net you some really nice XP.
  • HlorofosHlorofos Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the tips, will have to come back.
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited November 2014
    Or just: Wand of Fireballs, Wand of Stunning, Wand of Monster Summoning [Sold and Bought Back to 'top them up' to maximum capacity], One Character goes into the 'boss room'.
    -Monster summon a 'wall' in between you and the boss 'guys'.
    -Creep up until the blast radius of The Wand of Fireballs can hit the bad guys in the 'black stuff' / fog of war.
    -If they Run at you, just get your 'monster army' to swarm them with aid of your ranged weapon attacks (don't use fireball around your own guys for friendly fire reasons). Keep summoning the Monsters, they go down fast and if you cannot 'keep them up' than the 'bad guys' will go after you.
    [-Stun Wand with Ranged Weapons also if they Run At you.]
    -Run outside and switch to another wand using character and or 'restock' if you kill anyone and you have no more more health and or 'stuff' that you need to kill the rest of them. They don't respawn and you can kill them one by one.
    -'Challenge Mode': Also try to kill the 'adds' and loot their stuff before killing Sarvok, Run outside and 'Export Character' if you want.

[This was tested on the 'Vanilla Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast.]
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I've been working on the best way to incorporate all the 'extra bits' that have been bolted on to the original Baldur's Gate storyline over the years in order to provide a balanced flow of experience progression and quest difficulty (as well as making narrative sense).
    For me, it goes like this:

Cloakwood mines
    Durlag's (upper levels)
    Baldur's Gate (non-storyline quests)
    Ulgoth's Beard (ice and wolfwere islands)
    Durlag's (lower levels)
    Ulgoth's Beard (complete dagger quest)
    Baldur's Gate (complete storyline)
    Finale
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    My wife actually had the canon party at level 5. While she was unable to beat the end I was able to manage. She went back out and did all the quests she skipped too. At level 9 she fared much better.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Technically, lvl 1 can beat the game, but that's not relavent. I would be at 6/7, maybe even a thief or bard at 8, if you're having trouble with Serevok. Go to ulgoths beard like someone said before me, and durlags tower is also a good XP dump. If that's to hard(some of ugoths beard is harder than Serevok) then just scrounge around the counry side looking for some quests, or, when all else fails, farm ankegs.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    How in goodness name (or evil's name, depending on your play style ;) ) could you manage to stay at lvl 1 while beating the game?
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I will say that the first time I beat Sarevok involved using a lot of monster summons (back then there was no cap on the number of monsters you control). I'm pretty sure that party was around level 7 or so, I think my mages had just hit 4th level spells. If you don't have the patience to hit the XP cap then I'd say give it a go around level 7; honestly I enjoy all the sidequests though, and I've only beaten Sarevok with one other character who wasn't at the level cap (my solo run).
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    There's a thread around from someone who beat the whole game (BG, BG2 and TOB) solo at level 1.
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958

How in goodness name (or evil's name, depending on your play style ;) ) could you manage to stay at lvl 1 while beating the game?

Use lots of potions (Potions of invisibility work wonders in 'high level areas'), use wands frequently (Wand of Stunning and Wand of Monster Summoning work great), Don't hit the level up button could also help too (thanks @molloy ;-). It can be done, although I would personally recommend that only highly experienced 'masters' perform such insane endeavours for one would have to know Faerûn and the updated Infinity Engine like the back of one's hand in the dark, blind folded, gagged and hog-tied.